Super Scorpion

them boy's really knew how to design them all them year's ago-----clever when you think they fired them up and let them go--chased after them on their bike's...jim carrs dabbling with electric's is like long john silver attempting to compete in 'strictly come dancing'......and winning......

ken anderson.............

I like the Black Magic,  have a kit partially completed in the loft, the only recommendation I can make is to either double up on the 1/8" ply u/c mounting plate or substitute 1/4" ply.
One mod I saw at the NCMFC fly in was the introduction of a flat plate u/c mount a la the wot 4 which makes u/c fettling that much easier.
It's easy to overlook the fact that the bulk of these a/c were designed for free flight where the landing speed would be just above the stall like dead stick landing whereas when r/c equipped landing speeds tend to be that little bit higher, read this as I've stuffed the u/c on my black magic!!!!

I also fly rudder aileron mix as I cannot taxi with my left thumb but can with my right.Im fround upon at my club but they dont seem to appreciate that this mix gives me loads of confidence on take offs and if Ive got right rudder in I know when the airflow bites my model is definitely going right and I can control it from there

Stephen, I'd use the rudder stick on the ground and landing; your's a difficult habit to break as you move into 4 function a/c.
I certainly wouldn't frown but there's my reason for doing it viz on the ground on a 4 function a/c the rudder works and  in the air one normally uses the ailerons to initiate turns.
Each to his own though.
When I started r/c when men were men and wore women next to their skin  I fatally damaged several a/c by holding in right rudder after take off so that's why I try to get as much practice with it as possible.
Just my 2p.

Hi Stephen and John,

I came into 3 function RC after 8 years of standard 4 channel (rudder/ throttle left stick and ailerons/ elevator right). I have always used rudder with the left on take off as the norm. When I built my 3 channel Scorpion, I put my rudder servo into the aileron channel on the receiver and hence, the right stick - the result being that I now have to think during take off to use right stick on the ground.

When I first flew the model, I had to abort the take off due to verring to the right and the flight line. I thought there was something wrong with the model as I had been putting in plenty of left stick rudder- I should have been using the right stick of course. After so long on the left with 4 channel, the only way I can do it is to mentally talk myself through it on take off. Similarly, I know I will have to do the same when I fly my 4 channel models. The trick is to tell yourself that all flying control is with the right and the left is for speed (and height in the case of the Scorpion)

It's a small price to pay to fly vintage 3 channel - but worth it!

Conrad.

Hi conrad and John,Conrad you got it in one.I dont have to think on take off with the mix I have it all works without thinking.I trid to take off an older tale drager last week that I havent put the mix in,so I had to think.By the time Id managed to get a nice straight take off and gave full throttle Id forgotten yo need up elevator the nose dug in and I broke a nice new wooden prop.Next tim I will put the mix in.I was trying to see if I could take off without the mix and it doesnt work.As company for the Scorpion, Ive acquired an electric Southerner,a Black Magic I have to convert from free flight,and Im negotiating on 3 more which Il know about by the end of the week.Then Ill have loads of restoration work to do over the winter.Ive taken time out to make space and tidy up so Im a little more organised

Conrad, I was fortunate in that (IIRC) Galaxy Models were doing a special offer on 2 channel mixers, 2 for £10, I bought 4 and wish I'd bought several more.
On my main tx I can mix rudder and aileron, but it is switched so if that is inadvertently switched off I'm in for a rude awakening.
With the mixers, I plug them into the rudder and aileron sockets on the rx (channels 1 & 4) and into the rudder servo and it's always on so no sneaky cock ups.
I thoroughly endorse them as it's one less thing to have to worry about.
As a matter of interest, many years ago I was at a fly-in at the Hastings club and a chap there had a super scorpion complete with ailerons and no dihedral, I found it very attractive and promised myself to build one one day which I duly did but only three channel.
I have to say that the one with ailerons looked superb and I'm in two minds whether or not to build a second wing with ailerons.
I've seen several vintage models fly with ailerons, but this is the only one I've seen make the transition successfully, two J 60s were appalling in their flight characteristics and I guess that isn't really the attraction of them.
In the interim I'm happy with the way things are.

Not just good news ,but great news is Ive acquired a second Super Scorpion and hope to collect it over the weekend.Its complete apart from the engine and receiver,of which I have both,so I can probably have it ready for flight within an evening.Ive also a Southerner 60,and a Vic Smead Mamselle ,the mamselle I pick up tomorrow,that will just need a receiver.The Southerner a receiver and battery,so come on the weather

Ive collected the Super Scorpion,and its in excellant condition.Ive fitted the older Saito 40 because thats how the throttle is set up,on th e left looking from the front of the model.It would be difficult to swop round because thecontrols are very well fitted,and best left.It it is built differently from my first one,the tank is mounted quite a way back,and the rudder is pull pull.My first one has almost no bulk head and the tank fits through the hole very close to the engine.Its extermly tidy and doesnt look well used.I have the feeling the person I purchased it from is more interested in engines,than aircraft .It had a Saito fitted when he got it with open rockers which he probably sold.Hr showed me some superb old engines, one being a pipe,with a cambelt.They were in superb condition but he has no intention of fitting them in a model.Shame, thats what there for,photos tomorrow,hoping to have it ready to fly Tuesday.Its supposed to be Sunny, good vis and 1mph,guess what ill be taking

Here we are lads ,meet Mamselle from Bodwin,and Super Scorpion from High Wycombe.When I arrived home last night I readied Mamselle for flight today,and fitted the Saito40 off E bay into the SS.happily working away when I noticed it was 1.15 am ,thought it was about 10 pm,there both in excellant condition.Only have to check throws tonight and th Scorpion will br ready for Tuesday

Definitely David,I think the way to get this Ebay  thing out of my system is to choose a 400mile round trip in the dark,poring with rain all the way bit of aquaplaning,wipers a bit worn so the screen doesnt clear completely and thatll do the trick nicely.Havent even looked on E bay since.Plus Ive a house full of bits and pieces that need sorting out  and lots of lovely models that going from being ready to needing a complete rebuild so lots to do

The Super Scorpion didnt get a flight.A perfect SS day but the engine refused to start.The general opinion was the engine has problems.Also the tank is mounted well back and it was to far.Im going to change the tank and move it forward,and change the engine as well.Contented myself with flying the Vic Smead Mamselle around,thoroughly enjoyable and satifying

Ive spent the evening on the Super Scorpion.I removed the engine and tank.I drilled a 22mm hole in the bulkhead.I then made a platform and fitted a round 6oz tank near the windscreen about 2 inches forward from the old tank position The new hole allowed the fuel pipes a better direction with the tank closer to the bulkhead.I then moved the throttle and elevator round to put the throttle on the right and fitted an OS 40 Surpasse 4 stroke.Its now ready for the field again

• 1 month later...
Ive managed to fly both Super Scorpions this year.In fact I chose the Scorpion as my first model to fly on my new Tx because I wanted something relaxing that didnt need my attention so I could get used to the new Tx without any pressure.My  plan is to get both flying together so I can get a photo of them both together.Ive removed the engine on one of them because it isnt performing very well art all