New Phoenix 2.5 Beta now available

Advert

I have downloaded the 2.5 beta version. Looks good so far.  The model sounds are as the actual models (or near as) which is a good improvement. However you can see a list of all the improvements on the Phoenix website.

One point a would say about the new Internet connection. Connecting has always been the bug bare of the Sim. Phoenix are still stating that their port forwarding is UDP 9000 - 9005. However when I tried to connect I got a message saying I should be using 26500 - 26505. I did re-do my router port forwarding to these new values.

There were a few people on line. I tried and connected with all of the sessions!  Amazing improvement!!. I even connected to a session in Australia and had a chat (new live chat feature) with the guy whilst flying. Although it was a little quiet regarding the sound quality but it was quite fasinating to be flying and chatting with someone on the other side of the world!

I think if to many people go on a session it will slow up and crash due to the new added features.  I will have another play when I get chance, but so far - first impressions are - it is a big improvement on previous versions.

With the addition of more models and scenary it still is the best value Sim (In my mind) on the market - especcially when all the upgrades are all free!

Al

Edited By Alan B on 18/06/2009 14:21:37

Well I'm not impressed!

Loaded the update and all seemed fine - now I get a message:

Sim ShaderEffect-technique not found: tech-glowBlur-Y

Then it loads further, and comes up with lots of text I can't read (grey on grey back ground) and

Variants must be deleted

I don't have time for this - very frustrating - I guess I'll have to email Phoenix when I get some time.

i had a lot of errors while trying to install 2.5a ,i found i had to do a fresh install ,i saved my varients in a separate folder and reinstalled phoenix to 2.0n .also i updated my direct x from the ms site before installing the update this cured all of my problems and has been running fine since.

this could work for you bryce ,or you could wait to they release the full update ,it does seem to run well once it is working though which is good for a beta

Got home to an email from Phoenix saying:

Hi Bryce

This problem is caused by your graphics card being technically below the minimum system requirements.

We believe that we have now resolved this issue, and this will be in the next BETA update, scheduled for tonight.

Best Regards

Phoenix Support

Wow!  I'll let you know tomorrow how I get on!

Edited By Bryce Allcorn - BritFlight.co.uk on 18/06/2009 17:06:59

Edited By Bryce Allcorn - BritFlight.co.uk on 18/06/2009 17:07:21

great support from Phoenix as usual
The latest version is currently 2.5.c. You should use your automatic updates system (or the system > check for updates menu) regularly to see if a newer version is available.

During the BETA period, we will be issuing new, small update on a fairly regular basis.

Best Regards

Phoenix Support

• 3 weeks later...
I uploaded the upgrade yesterday.
Had a few problems loading the initial upgrade to 2.5a but a re boot of my pc sorted this out. There have clearly been a number of bugs to iron out as they are now up to version 2.5h or j. All credit to the guys at phoenix. They see to be on top of things. Just need some bad weather so that I can explore it some more but first impressions are that an already very good sim has been made better.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently downloaded the 2.5k which was immediately cranked up to 2.5l.  It works perfectly  --- after I was told to select model changes by clicking the left end of the selection bar !! -- and as others have done I can't praise the Support Team enough.............they're brilliant and so very patient.

• 3 weeks later...
OK Guys, 2.5 has been running a while now, and comments here have stopped.

Does that mean everyone is happy with it?

For my part, the main bug left is that if you are in a multi session and somebody else joins, or occasionally even if someone in the session changes plane, there can be a significant visual freeze of your on screen plane/heli...........BUT, and it's a MASSIVE BUT, the computation of plane movement continues, so the chances are that when the programme releases your visual model back to where it now "is", it jumps hugely and so you are most likely to be crashed!!!

Also, being super critical (cos it's still IMO the best) the range of fixed wing planes is still very limited, as there are loads and loads of similar flying 3D/Red Bull Air Race type aircraft, and not a great deal else.

Missing and not otherwise covered are (just a selection, no ordering):-

Panic Biplane
Slope Soarers numerous, from FW's to Mouldies, esp 60" racers.
Pod and boom power trainers
Indoor IFO/Bongo disc/pizza planes
Fast Delta power like the Buzz Lightning
Magnatilla
Dawn Patrol stuff
Canards
Sports Autogyro

I'm sure you can add to this list.......................

And finally for now, how many of you have "opened the bonnet" and played around with the EDIT facilities?

Edited By Dave Bran on 06/08/2009 07:50:22

Great sim, great updates.

David B - I think the sim helps to make your thumbs do the right thing without you having to think about what you're doing. This definitely carries over to the flying field. The other thing a sim does is let you practice manoeuvres you would never try in real life. I liken this to how ski jumpers learn to jump. They use a frame to get the technique right, and then transfer to the hill.

It's also a fun game in it's own right

I run a school club and it's VERY noticeable which kids have a Sim.

One point, while it's a good way of trying moves you would not in real life (yet), there is an aspect that you should really some of the time at least try to treat the "model" like a real world expensive one, that is set wind conditions, etc and fight the model all the time, don't allow it to crash and restart cos that's easier, as only THAT way will you really learn all the aspects of flying in a real more unpredictable world!

ENJOY!!

• 4 weeks later...
I can't get on the simulator enough its great!

I often get a message when connecting on multiplayer refering to ports.
It sometime crashes giving a message during multiplayer only that pheonix rc has to close and do you want to send info to microsoft.

Anyone else having the same issues ?