SC52 4-Stroke

Kev Bamber

I'm running an SC52 4-stroke, upright installation, & having idling problems.

The engine is set-up so it runs and transitions well, but when left idling for more then 20 seconds, it then starts to hesitate and miss before stopping. I can blip the throttle to keep running, but would like to get to the root cause.

I've tried different plugs and the slow running needle settings, but cannot cure.

Any ideas please?

Advert

hello kev-it could be that a hotter plug might help-as it sound's as though the fire is getting put out at the low/20 sec tick over-leave the glow attatched see what happen's-if it keep's going that is the prob-then it might be to slow a tickover-or try different fuel-and finally when you do alter the slow running screw-take it gently-not massive alteration's....and make a mental note where you started from.......

ken anderson.........

Hi Kev. How old is the engine? Had the same problem with my SC 52 when it was new. Now it has run an hour or two it is fine. I didn't make any adjustments to the slow running and used a normal plug. If it is newish just give it chance to settle down I am sure then you will find it a very reliable little engine. Good luck with it.

kev-one more thing-i lost the carb on a OS264st--i had an extension on the needle-and what happen's ove time is the needle due to vibration-work's like a tuning fork and elongates the hole that meter's the fuel(make's it egg shaped instead of round)...then it is impossible to tune the engine ....i don't think this is your prob--but worth checking to save you some grief.............

£30.00 for a carb  ken anderson..........

here here bruce-i use the technic's plug's a bit cheaper-taylor are good one's as well....£7.50 for an os plug is ridiculous......................no wonder electric model's are making the inroad's as they are.....................

ken anderson........

Edited By ken anderson. on 20/06/2009 08:47:22

I think I've solved it

The throttle barrel is sprung outwards to keep it in a constant axial position against the side of the scew that holds it in.
My throttle linkage was pushing axially inwards, so the barrel vibrated/moved axially at idle, cos the linkage overcame the throttle barrel spring.
By ensuring there is no pre-load axially on the throttle linkage, all is now fine.
I wonder if this is generic to the SC carbs.

• 2 months later...
Kev, I'm sure thats your problem.....the angle at which the slot in the throttle barrel is cut has a huge effect on transition....there is obviously a small amount of clearance between the slot & the screw that guides it so if its is moving in or out this will definitely affect the mixture.

Might be worth just s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g the spring slightly to get a good positive force pushing the throttle barrel out......don't overdo it though.........

Pretty much all modern carbs are like this so I'm sure its a potential problem on all engines....

Certainly one to remember for the future