ARTF Experiences

My first venture into ARTF models was a Flair Giles. Many of the parts did not fit and I started to write an article about it to send to Flair but it crashed before I finished the article.

Venture No 2 was with a YT International Sukhoi. The whole firewall assembly came undone on the maiden flight due to a lack of glue during assembly. A phone call to Yt soon solved the problem amicably.

Venture No 3 is with a Black Horse Extra. Learning from past experiences I checked the glued joints prior to assembley.I added extra epoxy arounbd the firewall. The U/C fittings looked substantial and extra glue could not be added due to the positioning of the members and the VERY substantial looking mortice joint. Just had an ''early arrival'' and the whole U/C assembly parted company ------ lack of glue in the main joint. See Pics. Whilst the ''arrival'' was a bit harsh the only failiure was the main U/C internal structure. Spats were not even cracked. Not a mark on the cowl, propellor or spinner. NO OTHER DAMAGE. Cause LACK OF GLUE once again.

This will be my last use of ARTF models I may as well invest the time, spent affecting repairs, in building a model I KNOW is actually glued together. Extra flies nicely with an OS 46LA up front. It is my first low winger of 3 which I am actually getting to fly.

Advert

I have repaired quite a few for club members. More oftern than not it a rebuild job from the wing leading edge to the firewall and beyond.

I have found failures are more likely with CNC Laser models due to the lack of glue penetration, the laser whilest cutting has created a charcoal barrier which the glue is unable to penetrate, hence the first heavy landing usually means a repair.

The answer is if you a none builder and rely on ARTF,  look for CNC Router cut models,
they are not indestructible, but I have found the more robust, simply because the nice clean cut lets the glue do it's job.  

Edited By Terry Whiting on 08/07/2009 21:01:37

• 1 month later...
I Was flying with a freind he had his lovely new seagull eletric spacewalker we did 2 curcits when one wing departed floating down the plane was a bin bag job on inspection we found the route rib was still bolted to the fus but all it had was a small blob of so called glue on it .
To say this was very poor is an understatement we also found there was bearly any glue on the damaged spar this areas are all covered so are not visable he has taken the remains into a local model shop and they have said its structual failure lack of glue on most parts of the model you can only wonder wot would have happened if it had hit someone .is there no checks done on these kits.

• 5 months later...
most ARTFS suffer from this problem at times it comes with mass produced cheaply made and sold products with our demande for fantastic aircraft for rock all money we have to expect that there will be some rubbish that gets through, all we can do is complain about it best we can and hope they improve the QC checks personally i have had 2 seagul kits and they have been fine, they are fagile in some respects but up to the job of flying !!

Hi All !
You may not have high expectations for 100 pounds,if you du not want to make a private
technical innovations.Another solution is the level of abt 200 pounds (for size of 50''),
where you can expect higher quality.Personally I'm satisfied with the"CMP" ,of course,
by my work and extra materials for betterment .I prefere ARTF,because it allows more
times for flying,more space in workshop,less balsa dust and more walking with my
grandchildren.
                                       Best rgds Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Stephen !
I was glad to read your writings.I'm also lucky one,who likes ARTF ,and I remembered the statement of Mr.Alex Whittaker -"ARTF first low winger are a gift from heaven. You du not have too much emotional attachment,they're quick to build and replace,and they're usually very good value for many.This last point is important,for although safety is paramount,you need to feel that you can take some risks as you expand your aerobatic flying skills." (abt, Super Sport 40,RCM&E,Aug.2005).Few days ago I bought my first aerobatic:"Extra 330 L"-50-''CMP,in Austria.Best regards Joe

I started out with ARTFs, for all the good reasons listed, cheap, limited emotional attachement and its (in the main) built straight.

I really love the seagull range, extremely good value and the quaility is top notch - Hangar 9, without the heftty price tag (have you seen the price of their new Saratoga!!!!). My Hangar 9 pulse XT40 was also really good quaility and a great flyer, if rather expensive.

I have had a seagull innovator EP, PT19(46 size) ands now got a 46-55 size Edge 540. all where well made, with good quaility balsa and ply - infact almost as solid as my kit built a/c.

I mostly build kits now (Chris Foss 4Ch Uno-Wot, Nijhuis Hurricane, Sig 4star40, Sig Wonder (fantastic and underbuilt aircraft), RBC Gloster G40, Aeronaut Vampire and K&A Models 90mm EDF F-100). Gosh, didn't realise I'd done so many. That said, I've just order a BH Speed Air 40 as my general cheapo hack, which I don't mind pranging. However, I am tempted to strip off the horrible covering, check/glue all joints and then recover in a better scheme (either yellow  cub style or a metallic blue red bull scheme......or.... I really do need to decide soon and order the solarfilm!)