Dead DX7

RonSpencerUK

I was charging my DX7 using an Ultramat 16, something I've done a couple of times (newish DX7). I had to interrupt the charging and did so by pulling the red battery connector out of the charger.
I switched on the DX7 to see how much it was charged and it was completely dead. I plugged it back into the charger and got the "contact break" error message.
I looked in the Spektrum instruction book but no mention of deadness that I could see, so I opened the back of the DX7 for a look. There's a fuse in there!
 Not mentioned in the book and a bit of a pain to extract. The rating is 3A 250V and it's smaller than a normal household plus fuse.
Fortunately I had a couple of the correct size and rating knocking about so I got up and running again.
Thought I'd post this for other DX7 newbies who might not realise that a spare fuse would be handy to have, and also can anyone suggest a 'non-lethal' way of terminating the charging process?Thanks as ever 

Advert

Hi Ron, the safest way is to disconnect from the 'prime mover' first, ie the mains. If, as some people do you're charging from a battery charger, it's the same. I normally switch off at the outlet first, then you don't get any nasty transients flying around that can blow fuses.

Posted by Terry Whiting on 20/07/2009 06:46:41:
Ron, 
 I personally have made it a habit never to charge with the battery in situ with either   transmitter or model.

If the batteries are LiPos then I agree - not a good idea to charge in-situ. 

But if they're NiCds or MiMHs aren't you going to get more problems from wear and tear on the battery leads and connectors from constant removing/replacing and plugging/unplugging than any tiny risk of problems from iin-situ charging?

Hi Stephen - This was the first time I had problems with the charger/DX7 thats why I was a bit concerned when the Tx died on me.

Tony - wise words, I'll follow your suggestion if I need to terminate a charge in future.

Dave - yeah, I see your point  but I spent £100+ on the Graupner and leads to reduce the number of chargers I have.

Thanks for the replies, all gratefully recieved. 

I did flatten my battery by leaving the controller on after a confusion of problems that prevented me flying.The battery charged up fine but the length of time it took to charge it did warm up a bit.This is a new DX7.Ibought a DX6i a year ago and had 1 or  3 problems which may have been due to using it with a straight aerial.I bought a secondhand DX7 and Ive had a couple of problems recently.I did a brilliant deal with Galaxy on a new Dx7SE, which I am very happy with.One of the reasons to change and the main reason really is that being secondhand I was always writing over the previous owners settings and worried that I might miss something to the detriment of a model.Im still trying to learn all the settings and basic for me is best,so now Im happy  The end