Seagull ARTF AT6 - Texan

Kelly

Advert

I think you r right BEB,I think my collegue turned it to slowly and once it dropped its wing and went into a spin there was no height to play with.He just kept saying" Ive got  nothing ,but I think there was nothing wrong apart from no room  Ive stripped the relevant covering and spent the evening like putting a jigsaw together to get a basis to work from.Both front and back wing mounts have been ,torn outand the cockpit area has disintigrated.Im missing the front fuselage base also.Once the sheet sides are shaped and then strengthened Il then fit the wing mounts.with them out gives me the space to work on the strengthening.Have to admit when I removed the covering it looked abit daunting and challenging

Yeah, when it went into the stall/spin the control surfaces (including the elevator) were very likely at least partially stalled - so it would seem to the pilot like he had no control. Unfortunately the only cure in these circumstances is "nose down, lots of rudder" what your trying to do is turn the spin into a sort of sprial dive, get the air flowing over the wing and tail again and thus unstall the control surfaces. You can then stop the rotation with the ailerons and pull out. The small problem is you need at least 150 feet to pull this off!

Sorry the model is so damaged - but I'm sure a man of your resources will be able to pull it back together again!

BEB

I thought that  as well C_P (NL).Sryggled to get going this morning so phoned work and gave up.Spent the day on the Texan and am now ready for a bit of rubbing down and filling.Have spent the afternoon looking for a rubbing down block,rubbing down paper an engine whilst Im at it ,and even managed to throw some things away.The house looks a but of a mess at the moment,bit like someones blown it up.Still Im alright,the Texan,sanding block and paper are on the patio so everything is alright.Ive checked the wing fitment and its all gone back perfectly,looking a bit promising.When I did the cowl originally I wasnt best pleased,but what I wasnt pleased about was all underneath.But I did buy a new cowl so thatll be handy

Yes ,I was looking for an old MDS 61,I thought might do the  Stringalong whilst I sort  out its Merco 61,I found it in a model in the shed ,but there is no carb,cant remeber it not having one so that was a waste.However  Ive filled,rubbed and covered.Didnt have the exact white or texture but it looks fine,pleased with the end result. Ive fitted the pilots,instrunent panels and cowling.The servo tray had come lose and Ive resecured that.The jobs  to complete are fit the batteries,set ,up the wiring,get the new cowl fitted,see if I have a prop,and should be ready for Sunday.With the resheeting and reinforcing,Ill be testing my new Cof G guage.Whist at one stage I was waiting for some filler to dry,I investigated the Cap.Im going to have a go.It appears a lot of the damage was exsaperated by the weights I added,and removing them makes things worse.,well soon see.

There was  mention on one of Gemma Janes thread (her Build Thread) where I explained how when I used light filler I had trouble getting thr filler to stick and stay.A gent whose name aludes me suggested adding white glue to the filler.I did this and it worked a treat and gave me a satifying finish when rubbed down so thanks to him

Here is the Texan ready for the c of g,it says 5 to6mm at the tips which is about 11mm at the point on the c og guage,trouble is I didnt know you need five hands to do it.It comes out nose heavy but  know it was nose heavy before and I added weight to the tail that we then removed.Ill wait and get some opinions at the field.Galaxy located a new fuselage which arrived with cowl pilots metal engine mount,very impressive but much to small.Apparently its for the Mk1 and mine is the Mk2

Hi Co Pilot,I received a new fuselage from Galaxyand it had the wooden push rods in it.Unfortunately its a mark1 and mines a Mark 2 Its a much smaller size than mine but identical to look at.Came with all the decals,also.Had a bit of an accident today si Im resting up hoping I can go to the field tomorrow.No wonder you said your was over powered no surprised I would think a 52 4st would be ideal.

After a pain full and sleepless night I dragged myself up and sruggled th Texan into the car.Found the best way to gat downstairs was backwards.So off to the field and the guys helped me get the model out and put it together.The only problem was the T/O was a little high but with a strong wind blowing that was OK.Both Mike and I stood together whilst theclub expert took off and put the model through its paces.I had to hold on to a post to stay up long enough but the Texan flew beautifully and everyone was pleased to see it back in one piece.Hopefully Ill soon feel well enough to fly it myself.The exercise todat was to see it fly and put though its paces.He even did a couple of spins with it and it came out fineThe club photographer was there and took some excellant photos.I also spent some time in the club caravan going through his photos and found loads of my models he is going to put on a disc for me,should hope to have it in a week or so.It was good to get to the field in the cicumstances and see the Texan successfully fly again WHOOPEEI offered to fly Mikes Cub,he said YES,then removed the wings and said Help yourself,all heart

Hi shaun,my knees have been very painfull this year ans I eventually went to the doctor.My knee muscles have wasted away so I need to exercise them to build them back up.This makes my knees a bit unstable and very painfull to walk.He gave me a chemist shop full of pain killers but cant see the physio until end Sept.In the meantime my son is talking to a coupl of people.Yesterday as I showered( bath type.I was standing on my badest leg washing my other foot when it slipped backwards bending underneath me as I crashed.the pain was so intense I didnt know Id hit my side on tne tap ,so as my son arrived to find outwhat had happened as I floundered like a beached whale he first words were,Havent you got big *******,of course we all know we need them to fly models.Having got the pleasantries out of the way he helped me into the bedroom .i then started to find other painfull places as well as my leg Still.I did get to the field th Texan flies again and I always feel better seeing a repaired model fly well again because tou expect a new  one not to have problems dont youbut then your Sea Fury did didnt it.I am confused over that.I always start my models with a bit of upand slight right rudder and let the model sort itself out.The only model that did the same as the Sea Fury was th  BH Extra 300S because I couldnt keep the tail down  so had to much up but was faffing around with the throttleand didnt give it enough.but that just took the u/c off,so yours must have been  going a lot faster to total it

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 16/08/2010 08:32:44

Thats a real downer Shaun.Against a lot of club experts advice I set my models upAilerons and 40% rudder because I cannot sreer with left rudder Im all over the place.As I said when Im ready to take off I set slight up elevator and slight right rudder on my right thumb.This takes the model away from the pit area and people.I also know the moment the model takes off and the ailerons start working I m ready to go left so Im not caught out,ans yes it was and is still painfull

Hey Stephen, you look after yourself mate! Sounds like the bath fall was a nasty one. Don't want to be all "doom and gloom" but you mentioned hitting your side on the taps, bear in mind that ribs are easily broken and internal organs can be damaged in falls like that. So if the pain continues, or you have any other symptomes - like nausia, difficulty breathing or high temperature etc. get youself along to the quack double quick.

Otherwise - rest up and take good care of yourself - sadly none of us are getting any younger and a fall that we could shrug off when we were 25 now really knocks you for six. As they say "ask me how I know"!

BEB

Thanks very much BEB,Ive no side effec.ts at the moment,a big bruise on myside towards the back,It feels like I may have cracked a rib once Ive got myself in a stable position Im ok but if I move it sometimes hurts so much it affects my breathing, however Max Moseley would probably pay for what Im going through an Ivr got ot for free.The Doc gave me some pain killers last week so Im ok