Seagull ARTF AT6 - Texan

Kelly

It will look like this

Kit is up to the usual high standard, nice touch is the optional mechanical retracts included with the kit, not bad for £99 .

Suprised to find the ailerons are not pre-fitted and pinned as per the Boomerang and the Seagull 40 ,maybe to keep the cost down.
Soon had them cyanode in place,will pin them as well later.

The wing is made up of the centre section and two outer wing panels epoxied in place with the usual plywood braces (not done yet in pic).

Going for the retractable U/C option,they are shorter and just as robust  as the late P-40,and they go straight up and down,none of that twisty nonsense as with the P- 40.

More to follow soon  

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
Bit more done on the U/C

Drilled the screw holes for the U/C

Fitted the retract servo

U/C legs cut to length, wheels fitted on stub axles

Push rods in place,bit of fuel proofer spread around the exposed wood in the wheel wells

Hi Stephen,

If you found the Boomer and the seagull okay then the Texan is very much the same, just more of it.

I have not connected the U/C to test them yet,but they are not too difficult to set up.

Things you will find different are

Using a seperate battery, switch and Y lead to operate the retracts

Fitting the canopy

Cutting out the cowl to fit round the engine/exhaust.

Two servos used to operate a split elevator

Steerable tailwheel.

So a little  bit more to do then  .

I will cover these points in the build , although it may take me  a while 

kelvin  

i landed my spitfire in the hedge a few weeks back, trying to go back round on one landing atempt ,i didnt gain anough height and flew full thottle in the hedge about 10 ft up (wish they would cut the hedges)i got it back a it scratched and bruised ,more me, than the spitfire luckly .
the texan should stand out well, i like that colour scheme alot ,wish i had a smooth piece of grass to land on and id get one too

• 2 weeks later...
Done a bit more,
Tested and adjusted the U/C, thread locked all  the grub screws and push rod ends,fitted the plastic wheel well covers.

Now for the messy bit  sticking the outer wing panels in place with epoxy,yuk.
Using a combination of  the plastic bags the  wings were  packed in, making tape and vasaline I am trying not to get it all over the wings like I usually do .

So far so good .

I ordered the same kit as you Kelvin,what engine do you plan to fit in yours.Iv just acquired an old OS 90 4 stroke which may sound just right for this model Ive also a new SC52 4 stroke.Ihave its twin in a Flair Cub Ive just finished and flown and thats lovely

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 29/08/2009 23:22:54

Hi  Stephen

Well I have two SC46's doing nothing, lower end of the power range but it is a scale model,I will be fitting one of them.

Bit more done.

Engine mount drilled and fitted

Fuel tank in place sealed in with a bit of silicon sealer.

Cowl mounting blocks fitted ,drilled and fuel proofed.
Carboard templates for various bits of the cowl to be cut out.

Cowl with the bits cut out.

Lucky me saw this at Rufforth

Hi Sheldon,

The Saito is already spoken for with my next model ..
I think it will have enough power to fly well,the full size Texan is flown pretty slow as the video above demonstrates . 
Hope to test fly it next week,few bits and bobs plus the decals to do so not quite ready yet.

Cheers

Kelvin