Seagull ARTF AT6 - Texan

Kelly

Advert

Hi David

Yes the Glow sticks are suspect,I have two and one is a bit ropy although a test with an old plug shows it glowing bright orange.

I am going to purchase a new glow stick and a couple of spare plugs.
If all this fails then my spare SC46 will be fitted .

Has given me a chance to fly the Spit a bit more,  

I seem to have had a mental block for the last 2 evenings,I like to fully understand a job before I tackle it,and the retracts on the Texan are the first Ive fitted.It looks a straight forward assembly,its just trying to get the p  order into place.Ive fitted the servo and cut the legs, ive cut the pushrods to a practical length,offered every thing up,but my worry is the covers.It seems you get every thimng in place then when satisfied take it all off, fit the covers and cant get at anything.I know Kelvin cut places to fit the push rods in place,but Im trying to figure out if there is a way to do it so you dont have to do that.It doesnt help that the instructions dont use full covers.I can see the non retracts beckoning but I must resist the temptation,or be like Kelvin and fit both

Stephen,
I have had several planes with retracts and have managed to fit them with varying degrees of success.
The Texan ones were for the most part straight forward.
I set the servo to retracted folded the wheels with the pushrods inserted in the servo arm connectors. made sure the arm did not go to far so the wires crossed, tightened the connectors then flicked the servo to open. Once the wheels were down i messed with the end point adjustment till the binding stopped.
I know there is a more scientific way of doing it with measuring and all but this has nearly always worked for me.

Hope it helps
D

Edited By DAVID CLIFFORD on 23/09/2009 21:03:01

P.S, i never put the covers on the legs as the wind used to blow the wheels out slightly when retracted.

As for the wheel well coverings, i cut out as much as i could without compromising the look. but once i had the retracts screwed in i didn't take them out again anyway, (well not until i fished it out of the pond)

Edited By DAVID CLIFFORD on 23/09/2009 21:06:35

Edited By DAVID CLIFFORD on 23/09/2009 21:07:24

Yes Dave,once I had reread \\\\\kelvins thread and offered everything up I realised that whayt Kelvin had done had to be done anyway,so once Id cut the covers as per Kelvin it all came together.As you suggested I connected the push rods to the retract and fed them in as I slid the unit into place.I then slid them back so I could slide them into the servo connections.Then I put yhe wheels on the right side and it all looks good.Im about to put the retract securing screws in now,we have a stream so the spooky similarity continues.Did you model swerve left or right so at least Im ready

Ha ha ha, To be honest i am usually quite naughty when it comes to test flights with my models. I have a really good friend who is a very experienced flyer and he maidens all my planes.
When the Texan was tested he opened the throttle to full and the 52 2 stroke pulled it off the ground in about 6 foot so their was not much time for it to go either way.
when i took of i was a little more sedate and found i was using a bit of right rudder to correct the engines pull. The plane certainly benefits from a long run up to take off.
its direction on taxiing will depend on wind direction initial rudder setting and aileron setting.
Just be real gentle i had the low rate setting set in the duel rate and used high rate on elevator for take off and landing as mine seemed to enjoy nosing over on landing

Perhaps if you get someone to take some photos or even video on you tube so we can relive the maiden with you that would be great and it may push me a little bit closer to getting another.
D

Edited By DAVID CLIFFORD on 23/09/2009 22:21:51

I was thinking when you were preparing to land and when you dropped the U/C it veered into the pondIve now fitted the retracts but they dont.Ive looked at the position of Kelvins servo ans I assume that is the position up .Mine either comes down halfway or tries to bury itself further into the wing.Then the pushrod hits the side of the wing.How is the best way to set them up.Ive left them in a huff

Hi Stephen, No when i was coming in to land i flicked the gear down and it dropped a wing. if the retracts are trying to bury themselves in the wing then remove the servo arm and allow the servo to move then replace it and that should be retracted position. then flick the switch and see what happens.
This business with the retracts, what says that the up switch for gear is up? i could never work it out. and what is to say that the servo arm is on the right tooth setting when it is in the retract or down position.
To many variables for my simple mind to comprehend. I have always just worked methodically through it, gear up adjust, gear down adjust, and the same again until i was satisfied with the reults. i can guarantee you one thing when you get her up and flick the retracts up they may not fold all the way up and will be hanging down a little, that bit is very frutrating when you have spent alll that time working on them.
Just remember that if they lock when down then the plane is safe. thats what matters most.
Just wanted to add, make sure you have flat spots on your u/c legs for the grub screws which hold the axle on. many a time i landed and the wheels skewered out to the sides causing a nose over.

Edited By DAVID CLIFFORD on 24/09/2009 09:17:26

Hi Stephen,

I agree with David,they are a bit tricky, Get them locked down,then play about with them,very difficult to explain how to do everything, some U/C guru may be reading this thread and would like to throw some advice this way.

Important thing is the servo arm  travel of 180 degrees,remember  the distance the pushrod  travels = the distance apart of the connectors on the servo arm as shown in the thread I posted.

Have a word with someone at your club who has experience of fitting Mech U/C's.
This is only the second time I have fitted retracts to a model and it took a while to get the P-40 working correctly. 

Happy fitting

I will try and do a video of the retracts working on my Texan tonight .

Ok Ill start with them down and work from there,I assume your photo of the servo shows the up position.The Video may help if you can show me the position ofthe arm up and down.Did you bend the push rods at all,someone said they did to allow them to clear each other and add some more throw.At least I feel better that you have confirmed they are fiddly,I was beginning to think it was me

You could knock me down with a feather.1st I didnt bring mty tranny home,so I used my 35mh and rigged up everything.I left it dismantled last evening.I worked the servo back and forth to know the directions.Decided which pushrod went to top and bottom.Fitted the arm into place for down,leaving the pushrods loose.Dropped the wheels down.tightened the push rods,flicked the switch and the retracts worked pefectly.Im sure Im worrying to much,but I trust the thow omn my 24Speccy is the same as on the futaba 35.For the moment after severalchecks its working perfectly.Thanks to Dave and Kelvin for your valued input in making my job the more easier and enjoyable,now back to work

Well tried again today,new plug in the engine ,fired first time .

It did go a  bit further before sticking its nose in the ground, no joy the grass is just too long .

I may try fitting the bigger wheels off my deceased P-40,the larger wheels certainly made a difference today.

May try cutting an old carpet into yard wide strips to create a temporary runway on the grass .  Oh hum

No can do, the farmer cuts it twice a year and bales it.
The grass is higher than the leadind edge of the wing and with it being a pit slag heap ,flattened with a skim of top soil it is very uneven.
 The seagull and Boomerang both flew well from it when the grass is at its shortest,it will die back quite a bit in a month or so and I should be able to fly then .
I am tempted to use the footpath in the middle of the field ,only problem is it is next to a low wire fence. The Texan has plenty of rudder and elevator authority so I am tempted to give it a go.
Tried the P-40 wheels,too wide, not enough room on the legs for the collets.

Blow it ,I'm gonna try the footpath tommorow.