Nijhuis 46" Spitfire

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi there Shane.

The spitty flys really well, very quick too on full chat! I have a couple of vids but it takes forever to upload them on youtube coz the camera I use is a 1080HD and I dont know how to dumb it down a little! I'll see what I can do.
Good luck with the build, you'll enjoy it.

Iain

• 3 months later...
Sorry about bringing up an old post but just coming back to modeling after 30 years and starting this as my new build after a trainer.
.I really want to add retracts on this model anyone help with a link or model number for a set to fit this model.

Edited By griffss on 03/02/2011 18:28:00

Hi griffss, see my post on 3.10.10 on this thread. If anyone is interested the first wing I built for this had straight in-line retracts, not angled rearwards, and was tricky to get off the ground and land. I built another with the correct Spitfire geometry which cured the problem. The first remains as it was flown with four servos and retracts and is available for a reasonable offer. It is in almost as new condition.

• 1 month later...
Ply is flat, and difficult to form to the wing shape, ally is prone to splitting with vibration and awkward to glue.
I would and do lay up gear doors with several layers of glass cloth. I tape thin clear acitate sheet over the area, then mark on the acetate the outline of the required gear door/hatch whatever, then a layer of heavy duty cling film (the sort used for wrapping palletts) then lay up about 6-8 layers of lightweight glass cloth. After a couple of layers, mark with a sharpie on the cloth the outline of the door required, using the previously drawn shape as a guide, when you put the final couple of layers on the shape required is sandwiched inbeetween, once cured just cut out with scissors or a dremel. Hey presto, gear doors that conform perfectly to the wing.

Mud