Nijhuis 46" Spitfire

I have built this machine and used an electric set up on her.

She flies beautifully.

I did a full build thread on another forum which can be found here http://www.rchobbyhub.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4060

I can't remember if I had the same issue with the former as you had because with models I build from plans, I do expect to find errors and so I cut parts as I go and modify them as required to make them fit.

This is not a dig at anyone or a particular publication just one of those things that seems to happen.

Nice build Andy. Hope its still flying.

Busy week in work, but the weekend finally came, well friday anyway.  I've had an hour or so free so I got on with the build. I've covered the top wing skins with 1.5mm balsa sheeting and cut off the excess. I haven't sanded the edges down yet so they are still rough.

I need a trip to the LMS to choose some nice aileron servos so the wings are on hold for now, mind you I could build the ailerons!
I fixed the problem with the engine mount (fitted screws to hold the engine in instead of nuts and bolts) so I started on the cowl.
First glue in the rough 12mm and 9mm balsa.

Then the sanding begins! Good job i've got a good dust mask, I always do heavy sanding in the yard instead of the hangar, saves alot of mess, and lung damage!

I couldn't resist having a little look at whats coming together

Plenty more sanding to do, I dont want to rush it because I could ruin the final shape.

Iain.

Looks like you are really going well on her.
I normally do much the same with the rough sanding.
I take it outside and take the rough off with a drill mounted on a bench and a sanding disc fitted.
I do have to take it easy though.

I have not flown mine in a while but she is still in much the same condition as the final pictures.
I have not found any really nasty habits with her although I have managed to wear out the tail stick I fitted, and I have managed to get her to tip stall but she was almost falling out of the sky at that speed anyway.

Keep going, I think you will find her well worth the effort.

Arghh, night shift this week which means little building time. I did however buy a couple of lovely little digi servos, savox 2.2kg. I'll put digis on all control surfaces and standard on the throttle. I've been looking into the paint i'll need for the finish, standard mk9 RAF colours, any ideas on paint/where from? I dont have an airbrush, was thinking aerosol for now??

• 2 weeks later...
Hi chaps. An update on the build. Some more work been done on the wings, mainly the ailerons and aileron servo mounts. I decided to build a removeable panel into the bottom skin and mount the servos to this. I have a large petrol a/c with the same design and it works really well so I just scaled the whole thing down.

I have used ply for the panel of the same thickness as the bottom skin so hopefully it will blend in well once covered and painted.

The servo will be mounted as so. I'll use the longer servo arm that comes with the servos and cut down one end so it doesn't contact the top skin

The ailerons are built up, I have reinforced the hinge areas to give it strength, also strengthened the control horn fixing point, I dont think it will add much weight. I also beefed up the foward sections of the rear spar where the hinges will go.

Once the ailerons were built I cut out the hinges, I am using 3 CA hinges per aileron. Then they were sanded down at the L.E. to provide max 1" throw up and down! I dont think i'll fly it with that much throw but its nice to have the movement mechanically.

Again, I couldn't help having a quick look at what it might look like down the line.

The bottom wing sections

It has a nice amount of dihedral when turned over the other way. Well worth making the dihedral guides for Rib1 at the begining of the build.
I wonder what a clipped wing version would fly like?

Last pic for now.

Can you guess what i'm intending to put here when finished? Remember it's based on a Mk9

Edited By batcho99 on 21/10/2009 18:34:29

dagga ....  dagga .... dagga  .....     .... 

oops  sorry about that  !!         watched Battle of Britain too many times  !!   

Very nice building  Iain mate.

That wing looks the business, keep up the good work. 

Little Nellies coming along fine too .... 

Cheers,

Simon. 

Yes, Cannons! I think a little scale detail will look nice when its in the air, I'm not gonna go mad with scale bits though, just stuff that looks good in the air. I think an aerial mast will look good too, and altering the elevator to look like the mk9 instead of a boring straight L.E. one.

Glad to hear the cub is coming along Simon, I like to follow your build, it spurs me on to work on mine.

Peter, it did mention the possibility of retracts in the plan write-up, but I dont want the complication and the fact in will probably nose over on every landing if thegrass isn't like a bowling green! Maybe next time. I'm having so much fn with this build I think a TN kit might be on the cards for xmas I was going to start the Typhoon, but i'll strugle getting the 4 stroke in. The Hurricane tho, thats one i've always wanted. (peter, i need to finish my gyro too!!)

I have sheeted the bottom of the left wing this afternoon and fitted the 9mm leading edge. I was happy with the aileron servo panel I made, it fitted flush with the bottom skin, and when covered should blend in nicely.
I then put my mask on and sanded like mad for 15mins to get that leading edge shape just right
Hopefully the right wing will be to this standard by tomorrow night, then I can think about joining them. I'm going to drill some holes in the top skin to bring the servo leads out before I join them. I could do with some detailed photos of the cannons now so I can replicate them, and before you worry, I did fit sone T nuts behind the L.E. before I sheeted it all so the cannons can be removed

Hello. I've been busy in the hangar this afternoon, I love shift work, it gives you loads of time to do things you want, and the misses went out to see friends with the baby. Anyway. I stuck the wings together, scary moment. I always check everything about 5 times before I take the plunge and apply the glue! I was very pleased with the result. My next task was the wing tips, made from solid balsa. I used two pieces and laminated them together to give me the thickness required.
Then a big sanding session, my nose was wrecking from wearing my mask after!

That shape is great, pleased with the result. Just need to add the wing joining bandage then all the hard work on the wing is done, apart from covering.

Heres a pic of how the whole project is coming along.

And a pic of the tail detail.

I hope the elevator holds up in flight, I had to insert some cocktail sticks between the joint on the forward section of the elevator for strength. The tail surfaces are only slaved on for now, i'll cover them before final fit.

Iain.