Nijhuis 46" Spitfire

Hi all.

With my 'spare' time at the moment and in between other builds, i've been looking over the 2006 special mag with the 46" 'fun fighter' style Spitfire. I've always wanted a 'fun fighter' type aircraft after seeing the Cambrian type flying around at my old club when I was a boy. Great looking models and great fun. So I remembered that Tony had produced his spitfire plan for the special mag so I dug it out and laid it on the table. Looks great. Good write up, so why not!

It looks like another project is starting! (sorry pup, you will get finished)

Have you built one?

Iain.

Ah ha. I've actually had a little time spare so I have had a good look over the plans and traced all the ribs and formers Thats a good start I think. I haven't got much wood in stock so my next problem is getting to the model shop. I do have some ply though, and i've go a 32 two stroke to measure up to see if I can squeeze it in? I can feel a very slow build thread coming on

Well, i've cut out the formers from ply. I have found a problem with F4. It doesn't match the length of the side view of the plane when offered up to the plan in it's position, its too short? Ant ideas? All the other formers are correct though.

Iain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yey. I've finally got round to starting the spit. My other build is waiting for a few parts so i've got a couple of days to cut bits out. I ordered the canopy for the spit from Tony and it arrived after a couple of days Which also spured me on   I've been the LMS too for some bits and bobs so theres no holding me back now. I'm gonna squeeze in an SC32 2 stroke (i'm a bit out of touch with the two stroke engines!) i'm looking forward to the whole build
Anyway, heres a couple of pics to show the progress.

Iain.

Last nights progress

Not bad for one evening I've made a mistake with the engine mount though. I should have really screwed the engine to the mount instead of used bolts because once the cowl is fitted, the bolts will be hard to get too. I think i'll buy another mount tomorrow when the LMS is open. In the mean time i'll crack on with cutting the wing ribs out. More to come

I'm watching this closely, I've bought the plans and canopy from Tony and they arrived a week or so ago and I'm now just gathering the required material before I start the build sometime later this month.

This will be my first build so I'm looking to get as many pointers as possible. It is probably not the easiest first build but its a model that interests me and without that I'll end up not completing it. I have built Balsa models before but never ones that need to stay in the air

Keep up with the build and the photo's are a great assistance to me

Hi Andrew. I hope you get your build underway soon, you'll enjoy it when you get going. It would be good if you put a few pictures of your own build on here.

I've been an early bird today and cut out all the ribs using my scroll saw. I'm hoping to start the wing construction soon. I'm waiting for a new engine mount for the fuse so its on hold for a day or so til I get the LMS.

If you have the same plans as mine be aware that Former 4 was 3mm short. Just check by making one out of a cereal box or something before you waste any wood.

If you go to Tony's site he has put some very usefull photos of his build on there. Similar to what i'm adding as I go along.

More pics to come soon.  Iain.

Hi Iain, 

Thanks, I'll certainly be looking to get started by the end of this month. I should be collecting a scroll saw from my father in a couple of weeks but also have a holiday booked so it won't be until late in the month by the time I start it. 

I've checked out Tony's website, checked out the article and the photos. I also bought the plans from there, so I'd imagine they've been corrected since the 2006 "Issue" but I'll certainly check first. 

As I'm quite into photography, I'm hoping to take plenty of build photo's as I go, the only issue could be that once I get involved in something I never know when to stop so stopping at relevant points to take photos may be difficult for me, although it I put the camera next to the kettle I should remember 

I'm really itching to get this started. I keep looking at the plans and checking out sites for pilot figures etc, I've even decided on the final paint scheme (should help me focus on getting things started AND finished)

Keep up the great work Iain, I hope to be able the post a few pics (and ask for help ) soon 

Cheers

Andrew

Todays progress. I love being off work, this will all end on Monday so gotta get as much done as possible. It was also a nice day in Cheshire so I got down the field, cut the grass for the weekend flyers and flew the Geebee. Good news down the field, the farmer has seeded another 12M of strip for us, but thats another story.
 As I said above, I got up well early today so I made the most of the first few hours of the day by cutting out the ribs in pairs.

Then I checked them on the 6mm square spar, just to make sure i hadn't made any major errors before I started construction

Next job didn't start til 7pm tonight when the other half had 3 of her mates round cuddling the baby, good excuse to get out of the way for a few hours

I found a problem at this point. In the build article it says pin the fwd(6x6mm) and rear(6x3mm) lower spar to the plan and fit the ribs, but when I positioned the ribs over the plan, they were 'rocking' due to the shape of the lower section of the ribs. So I decided to put another 3mm piece of balsa under the rear lower spar, this stopped the rocking and the ribs were held much more securely.

Problem solved, now to start gluing the ribs to the lower spars

I decided to make both wings at the same time, using plasterboard (a tip off this forum, thanks) under the plan. I covered the plan with clingfilm to protect it from the glue.

You can really see the eliptical shape forming, cant wait to see them finished. I've already deciced to cover the whole aircraft in silver solartex then paint over top. Using silver underneath will help give the scale weathered look, panel lines etc.. By the way, this is the first Spitfire i've ever built and owned, so its new to me, also i've never sprayed a model before?? U could say its a small scale experiment
I'm also using CA glue to make the wings. I built a 'Crash 'e'' a couple of months ago, using CA only, to test the strength. I must say, its held it together really well, and its very fast on its tiny electric motor with an awesome roll rate when tweeked I've found the speed at which you can build with CA is amazing, it cuts the build time dramatically. Its not good for all joints, i also will be using pva and epoxy in areas i feel necessary.

Thats all for now. Lets see what the weather brings tomorrow, flying or building. I think I'll need some more wood too

Iain,

Great work mate, Very useful and informative to new builders like myself. when you say CA do you mean Contact Adhesive? if so, great I have a load anything special I need to look for or are all Contact adhesives the same?

I really need to get the fret saw from my father soon, I want to start building!!!!

As I said, you regular updates are very informative with great supporting images. I was going to get some hardboard then coat it in (existing) cork floor tiles and mount my plan on that. But the plaster board idea sounds a good one, although will be heavier when I need to move it. I'll need to see what is going to work best. Great tip about the extra 3mm balsa when building the wing!

Many thanks

Andrew

CA, CyanoAcrylate. Its just an instant adhesive, super glue. Its extremely strong, you wont break the bond it produces.
Glad the pics and tips are helping, you will learn from my mistakes, and i'll make a few dont worry about that.

I was looking into the cork tiles but plaster board takes pins easily and its cheap and easy to replace when damaged. Plus the builders yard is very close to my house

I'm not sure how much building will be done today, its not raining here yet so i'm going to get to the field while I can

Get the flight miles in while the weather is good. 

I'll get some CyanoAcrylate from my LMS when I go for some wood. I've read multiple grades of CA thin, thick, med. 

Does it make much difference? which would you advise.

As for your mistakes, its a bit like the song "you ain't seen nothing yet", trust me no matter how hard you try I'll trump you mistakes i'm sure  

Starting with a spitfire for build number 1 is probably my first. but as i said it needs to be a model i WANT to build as opposed to one to get through before i build the one i want. 

at the end of the day its just wood and glue, if i make a hash of it, I'll start again

Thanks for all your help, I'm sure i'll be bothering you some more.

Great build Batch.......I used to have a Cambrian Fun Fighter Spitfire around about 1979/80...it looked great in the air & flew well on an OS25......this version with the 32 up front should go really well!!!

One point about cyano adhesive is that it doesn't fill gaps like PVA does...if you can cut out really accurately (or better have a CNC kit) then it is fantastic but I know that the parts I cut out don't quite fit as well as they might sometimes  (they're not miles out but sometimes 0.5mm or so) & cyano doesn't bond very well to thin air!!! Using PVA allows for a bit of...ah...mis-alignment shall we say!!!

A new glue I'm trying is a PU glue.....like gorilla glue but much cheaper from your average builders merchant......it really does stick but foams up slightly so can move parts around if you don't clamp them together......I'm still a little undecided about this stuff for everything but for most joints it is fantastic.....particularly anything foam!!!

Brilliant Tommy. Nice ribs. It seems a few people have or are about to start this build.
A bit of advice for you, dont forget to cut out the holes in the ribs for the servo wires  its will be difficult after you glue them to the spars  I hope you guys learn from my mistakes. A bit too winy here today, maybe i'll get some building time when the baby gets her nap!