Memories of Howard Boys

Marc Humphries

After reading the recent article about Howard Boys - I felt compelled to write about my memories of the guy.  As a teenage member of the Northampton Model Aero Club he made an impact on me with his sheer knowledge of all things related to model aviation, his willingness to help and his eccentricity.  Only now do I have some time to spare on a train journey - assisted by the luxury of a wi-fi connection and a table seat with a power socket on a Virgin train!

Howard had all the hallmarks of a classic British eccentric. In 1975 he was still wearing his brown de-mob style overcoat that you only used to see in grainy black and white photos in old issues of Aeromodeller. You know the ones – a group of young men in their 20s who look about 50 – each clutching a small rubber or diesel powered model at the SMAE South Midlands rally or something similar. Occasionally string was employed as a makeshift belt. But it didn’t stop there. He would turn up on club nights at Thornton Park Community Centre (a beautiful Georgian mansion that has now been sold by the council and converted to trendy apartments) in a variety of home made cars. One was a three wheeler that was kick started by Howard lifting the bonnet and placing his right foot into the engine bay. Another looked like a cigar tube and could have been driven by Professor Pat Pending in Whacky Races.

I remember someone telling me what an impact he had in the world of radio control – although you wouldn’t have known it. He was a very modest and unassuming character – and looking back was largely ignored by the new breed of cheque book RC flyer – those who had never tried to get a free flight model to circle right under power and then transition to a left hand glide.

My first naïve attempts at RC flying back then comprised of plan building a scale Cessna 172 and using an old RCS single channel set complete with rubber powered Elmic escapement. Even in 1975 this was vintage kit from a different era. But Howard’s eyes lit up. He took me out to the adjacent park and filing a plastic knitting needle to a hexagonal shape, proceeded to instruct me how to tune a super-regen receiver. Those who remember how this is done – answers on a post card to…

Another great moment was when I brought my uncovered Cessna to a club night and asked for his help in making the windscreen. From the deep pockets of his de-mob coat came a pair of scissors, a pencil and some thin card. In a flurry of activity he produced a series of patterns that I could take home and trace onto acetate.

A true gentleman.

• Like 1

• 13 years later...

I read with interest, .y name is John Hirons as was to my dad's name. Dad used to work at the AEI (formerly the BTH) in Rugby, Dad worked in the Plant Applications Engineering Department with Howard in the 60's.  Sadly Dad died in 1965 and I took on his place where I met with Howard sharing our same interest in RC model aircraft. I will always remember 1st his lunch break comprise of salad and brown bread and honey and lemon for drink.  His transport,  well long before  MOT came in was an early austin 7 chassis, no body work! And held together with Dexion strip. He drove this "thing" back and forth between Braunton and Mill Road Rugby complete with his old trench coat. I am currently writing my autobiography and I've incorporated Howard and the AEI and I have also a copy of his book on RC which I treasure. Yes Howard was a one off and a marvellous man, regards John Hirons "now 80 years young "

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum John.

Is your autobiography just for family or will you publish it?

That is interesting about Howard Boys he seems like a great character.  I remember reading about him in the first RC magazines I bought - his obituary was in RM and RCME about 1984 and gave similar info to yours.   David Boddington stated "  Howard Boys WAS aeromodelling! " 

I see that MOT's started in 1960 and became mandatory in Feb 1961 & cost 16 shillings ( 75 pence)  You could buy 2 gallons of petrol and still get a shilling change from a ten bob note in that year.   (  translated for youngsters that means petrol was 22.5 pence a gallon - about 5 pence per litre. )