2.3 X Micro Super

A fellow club member has given me an enlargement of an RCM&E April 1987 plan for a Micro Super. The enlargement makes the span about 60". At the moment I am studying the plan and sorting through my wood stock to work out what wood to use. The sizes stated on the plan are obviously too small now it has been enlarged. I want to keep it light so I am leaving the ribs as they are 1/16 and 3/32. The spars were 1/8 and I am planning to use 3/16. and in most palces where 1/3 is specified I am going to use 3/16. But guess what ....... I have very little 3/16 in stock. Might have to go shopping!

I will keep you posted on progress.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well the Super 60 flew today..............for a very short time. it took off beautifully and I turned away to the left reducing the power. It just kept going left and despite full right rudder it turned on its side and went into the field. Quite a lot of damage to fuselage and very little to the wing.

We were always a bit dubious about the small amount of dihedral on the wing and I think this was the problem plus a small amount of warp in the wing. So even though the wing is not badly damaged I have had to take it apart at the root to fix the warp and set it up with more dihedral. The fus should go back together OK with some extra gussets to strengthen the broken longerons. I now need to source some more solar film in the correct colours.

Its all part of the fun

• 1 month later...
The repaired Super with more dihedral flew again today and after some fiddling with the plumbing and some trimming it flew OK. I moved the CofG back a bit and it flew a bit better. So I moved it back some more and it flew even better. Also added a bit of weight 5g to the right wing. It flys really nicely now and Oh so slow.

Dihederal in your pic Bruce looks almost non existent !

Hope we get some completed repair build pics Bruce.  Did you leave the tail end as a banded on affair, aka free flight styleee....If so was it set correctly ?

BB