2009 Special Issue feeback

David Ashby - Moderator

I've completely devoured my copy . Even though some of the tutorials are about matters I will never consider emulating I do enjoy reading them - the print is fading fast...

The Lysander plan has been added to the "must build one day" pile, and the article about the full size "Lizzie" will stay with it - most likely with the rest of the magazine...

It is, as usual, a superb "Special" but I do have a little bit of a niggle or two.

Timbo's article on the ESC let me down as he didn't say anything about ones for brushed motors. I know they are "old hat" but there must be more people than me who might have an old brushed motor and need info on setting it up with the required ESC and battery pack which just might still be NiCd or NiMH and not Lipo.

The other two niggles I have are:

1) the use of lower case letter "i" in what are otherwise upper case headings - it looks as thought the ink on the printer is "iffy".
I know that it's a "design" feature but I find it irritating and it makes me feel that my eyes are worse than they really are.

2) the use of the word "silicon" where it should be "silicone".

This is a common error in a number of columns in the regular magazine as well. The two materials are very different and a spell check won't pick out the wrong usage. Occasionally "silicone" is used where "silicon" is meant.
For example, the metalloid "silicon" woud be totally useless as a hinge material or to transfer fuel from the tank to the engine and I don't know of any computer which would use "silicone chips" in the circuitry.

I would advocate that these two words are deleted from the spell check dictionary so that on proof reading they are picked up and whoever is doing that onerous task can be sure that the correct word is used

Sorry to be so picky, but these matters do, for me, spoil otherwise excellent articles.

Malcolm

Advert

I found Julian Beckett's piece on airbrushing very inspirational - the only fault I could find was there wasn't enough of it!

Is there any chance of further airbrush articles in the mag?

I also found the Andy Ellison DS tutorial very interesting, though I don't think my Soarcerer would be up to it!

Bert

[edit for spelling]

Edited By Bert on 28/09/2009 10:54:51

• 2 weeks later...
Got mine in hospital last week, courtesy of a dutiful daughter. She knows what her Dad likes. Beats grapes any day and lightened the days a lot. Love the Lizzie and especially Tim's picture of the twin wing version. May have to suspend the Bristol list for that!

Cheers ,  Peter.

Have my name in at a magazine stand in Tucson that carries RCM&E and have been waiting for it...
They haven't called yet and it is mid October...
Did you say something about another title on the cover for US folks?  Huh?
So, it won't be published under RCM+E but under another RC magazine title?
If so, please explain...

David Martin
Sierra Vista, Arizona USA

P.S.
Tim's Lysander was a hoot, there was an RCG build thread on it. Tim, you should post a link to it. Apparently a gun emplacement in the tail for a tailgunner.
In case they got jumped by ME109s or FW190s?
Wouldn't be a good situation to be in since they Lizzie was not a fast aeroplane.
I see the construction Tony used and man does it look like a heavy bird...guess it will be more crash-damage resistant that way...
For electric it means a  bigger motor and battery load. to haul around the structure...nice thing about electric, You don't have the fuel mess and vibration issues present in glow setups and can build it lighter as a result.

David,
Thanks for the pic of the cover for the US version!
Now I can see if I can find this US version of the Special edition.

Hastings store here in Sierra Vista doesn't have it and we don't have any Borders or Barnes and Noble stores here. Those stores are in Tucson so I'll have to give the newstand a ring tomorrow to see if they have the R/C Model Aeroplane issue with the Lysander. I have a doctor's visit next Monday so I will drop by to get it if they have it then...

Going direct purchase would be spendy, around $18.50 US (L11.50) with shipping.
If I end up going that route I think I would purchase a few other items to lower the effective shipping cost per item...

Time to go to bed, I have a headache and 6AM will come too early...

Thanks!

David

Hi,

the special was....special! IMHO!

As someone said before I even enjoy reading the tutorials on things I don't do! For example, I don't fly el*ctric (except indoors!) but the tutorial on ESC's was excellent and very interesting.

I did enjoy the airbrushing article - but as said above there did need to be a bit more of it. What was said was great - but on just the strength of that I wouldn't feel confident in "having a go"!

But I suppose with so much other excellent stuff fighting for space it must be really difficult doing your job David - as I guess you often find yourself cutting stuff back to get everything in! Still, better that way than the alternative!

All in all - a great product!

BEB