REAL Beginner Question

Russ1974

My plane is built!  Yay!

But nothing in the instructions tells me how to get fuel in the tank.  I have two pipes coming off the tank - one that goes right inside that goes to the main input on the engine, and another one that connects to the exhaust/muffler.  But no "filler pipe" or hole for that in the tank.

To get fuel in, do I have to unplug the pipe from the muffler every time?  Seems a bit awkward, but I see no other way.

Advert

As you suggested is the way to fill tank.

From the nature of your question you appear new to this and also are considering starting the  engine resulting in a flight.  The propeller will take fingers off at the blink of an eye and you will rapidly destroy all your efforts.

Can I suggest that you find out where your local club is and get an experienced member to give your model the once over and show you the safe method of starting and give it a flight

Please do not take  offense at this posting as you may be an experienced flier

To expand on Hamish's post a little, but please make sure you are in the company of an experienced flier before doing this!

1) Disconnect both pipes.
2) Connect the pipe that connects to the engine to your fuel pump.  Move the muffler pipe to a position where it is pointing away from the plane.

Note- check the pipe that goes to the engine is the one that is connected to the "clunk" inside the tank.  The clunk is the heavy metal end on a pipe that will move around.

3) Fill the tank.  You know it's full when fuel squirts out of the pipe that was connected to the muffler (that's why it was pointed away from everything!).

4) Reconnect the pipes to the engine and muffler.

Stick the end of the tube disconnected from the muffler into some sort of bottle whilst filling through the engine feed pipe to collect any overspill as well .I only ever use two tubes by the way - you only get splits if the tube end is not cut properly with an extremely sharp knife blade & pushed onto a de-burred pipe, & by the way -fit a filter in the carb feed pipe .Well I do anyway & another from your fuel container . One less problem to worry about as long as you don't alter the fuel run direction by mistake . Another tip is to use different coloured tubing for each application on all your models ( another source of  problem/ mishap over ). I do agree though that you would benefit from an experienced modeller showing you the ropes .Glad to see you are going for " Proper Engines" .You won't regret it -But then again I'm slightly biased  OOhpps ! Nearly off thread again
PS I use clear tubing to the engine & green to the "silencer" but that's only my convention !
G-Umpy ! 1 1/2

Thanks everyone  

And, don't worry, I have already joined my local club and am in the process of arranging some lessons.  I will be taking the plane for the first time to the club this weekend and will NOT be starting it before I have somebody experienced give my building skills a thorough check over.

I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a step in the building in terms of pipes for the tank, as the instructions that came with the model seem to almost skip over that part and suddenly assume that, even though it is a starter/trainer kit, that you know how to do it.  Perhaps that is intentional so you are forced to ask somebody experienced who will give you the advice about fingers being chopped off, joining a club, etc !

Russ.

Thanks Myron.  Many years ago, I must have been about 12, a friend of the family took me to watch them fly model aeroplanes.   He started his plane, got distracted, and I saw his thumb get sliced to the extent it was "hanging off".  A painful lesson for him, and something I'll never forget.  Also whilst I was at my local club last week, I was shown the leg of a 14 year old who had walked a bit too close to his own plane fairly recently and ended up in A&E.

So yep - well aware that these are not toys!  Ok well they are, just very dangerous big boys toys ...

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 23/09/2009 12:32:34:
Russ
I've said this before but get into the habit of exaggerating your hand movement from in front of the prop around to the rear of it for any adjustments etc .

Better still,  move round behind the prop after starting the engine and then make adjustments,  remove glowclip etc.  Then you're never reaching over the prop. 

And always have the model restrained whilst on the ground with the engine running.  I know exactly what happens when you accidentally nudge the throttle open with the model in front of you - and I have the scars to prove it...

Russ,

I was very similar to you. I bought my own plane, built it myself and then decided i wanted to start her up in my back garden.

I did, and during the first start (Hand start!!!!!!) i knicked my finger ever so slightly and still have a scar tp prove it. I consider myself extremely extremely extremely lucky to still have all my fingers as i just did not know what i was dealing with!!

I then went for a lesson which soon sorted that out!

Electric start for me now and hands/fingers WELL clear!!

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 23/09/2009 23:33:52