Engine started!

Russ1974

I went to the club today,nobody else around, but gave me a nice big safe area to give the new plane (my first) a good checking over.  As I had flown helis many years ago I felt quite comfortable checking all the controls, securing the plane in its restraint, filling the tank with fuel, connecting the glow plug, and starting the engine up!!

All was going fine until I got distracted and put my hand in to the prop.  Went to A&E but they couldn't do anything to save most of my left hand, and I am now typing this with 7 fingers.

Ok ok I'm just kidding - the engine started up perfectly first time, and I ran it at various throttles getting though 3/4 tank of fuel to run the engine in.   After a couple of hours I realised nobody else was going to show up (9-5 job on a calm sunny day?  no thanks!) so packed up and went home feeling quite pleased with myself.  Not just because the engine started and I didn't hurt myself or the plane, but also that I resisted temptation and didn't even do any taxi-ing let alone flying.  Looking forward to the weekend when I'll get to see it fly for the first time.

Edited By Russ1974 on 24/09/2009 21:24:28

Advert

Hi Russ,I was introduced to I/C about a year ago flying only electric till then.I used to arrive at the field,methodically and carefully set everthing up and bring myself to start the engine.Once it was running,I would have quite happily packed up and gone home,the concentration and effort was so much I felt I needed a sit dowmn and break before I would be ready to fly.What you did today was very good especially your resistance to put it up.Well done I hope you have a great weekend

• 3 weeks later...
Although a few weeks old I thought I'd mention this to anybody else who has their first plane and is considering taking it for a fly without expert assistance.

On my second trip, and my first fly, I had somebody check the plane over properly before taking it up.  It turns out that I had fitted one of the parts backwards on the prop assembly/engine, and as he gave it an inspection the prop pretty much fell off in his hands!  Took it all apart, rebuilt it properly, and all was well.  Nothing broken, but had I taken it up for a fly and the same thing had happened, well a plane without a propellor would not be much fun for a beginner.

So, if you have built your first plane/heli/and are desperate to get it in the air, just be patient, these things are dangerous.