Futaba Nicd Battery chargers

Nick Holmes 2

Advert

• 1 month later...
Timbo
It's not easy to judge just how long to charge nimh's is it .As you've mentioned -there's very little voltage difference between charged & nearly discharged .I try my best to work it out theoretically but never quite sure whether it's too long or not quite long enough .With the charger I've mentioned ,this applies to the Tx only of course .They must have their reasons for not having a delta peak cut off (Apart from price ?).Is it because it's not that critical ?

If you are charging at a low rate C/10 or less then it is not necessary to have delta peak cut off (and it would not work at such a low charge rate). It would not matter if you let the pack charging for twice as long as it needs. All the additional charging would just be converted to heat and at low rate this is a small amount of heat.

Edited By Bruce Richards - Moderator on 05/11/2009 14:16:42

The same question has been bothering me.

I presently principally use Futaba 6 Ex...? transmitters, one I re-batteried with a higher capacity Nicad. Unfortunately, no, stupidly, I did not get round to doing the same with the second, before legislation made the sale of Nicads illegal. So will have to replace this with a higher capacity Nimh.

Why does it come with such a low capacity battery, as a battery with greater capacity costs so little more.

To date I have not done this due to indecision and uncertainty, regarding charging.

Erfolg

I scrapped my standard wall wart charger a couple of years ago and bought an all singing all dancing charger where you can set the charge rate  and detect the delta peak. I can charge just about any pack (accept for very large lipos) in an hour or less. If you are going to buy new high C batteries you relly need a charger that can charge at higher rates. It need not cost a fortune £30 or so should get you a reasonable charger you can use fron 12V supply or car battery.

Edited By Bruce Richards - Moderator on 05/11/2009 16:23:56