Yak 23 build blog.....it begins.....

TonyS

Parts arrived at the cabinet today, and tested the setup this evening. I put myself on a budget for this one to keep the misses accepting this money pit of a hobby.

esc HK 60 amp 14$
motor; Turnigy Typhoon 450H 2218H Heli Motor 3450kv 13$
EDF Ducted Fan Unit 6Blade 2.75inch 70mm 6 $ (Its a gamble, I know maybe I will stil change it to the HET 6904 fan)
BEC 3a 4$
3770 20c 4s lipo 35$

total 72$
800watt, 58 amps, motor runs hot at full throtle, but will be fine just if i don't run it too long at max.
I will let you guys know what gives out first

Jan

• 1 month later...
Hi,

It has been a while since my last posting, working alot, and been on skibreak so the build slowed down a bit; been back on it this weeked though

finnished the fuse underneath, built in the servo, but provided only one elevator servo pushrod. I'm used to doing that way, will work just fine. did not place the esc in the exhaust, so hope it won't get too hot, we'll see. Pushing out a nice 1200gr of thrust. hopefully not much less than the auw

the covering turned out to be a lot of work, the next one will certainly be in fiberglass.
glued the wings on, and managed to spill glue on the nice new wings, will have to recover a patch

still some covering underneuth to do, fixig all the control survaces, the cockpit,...

• 4 weeks later...
Maiden !

Finally found the time and then the courage to maidenn the yak. A totally horrible event in wich you attach your beloved project to a bungee and catapult it away. To limit the amount of stress I do it alone, so there is a video, but nobody was holding the cam. coditions were good, sunny ad a steady light breeze.

Learning from tonys experience I put the Cog half a cm before the plan cog (+-3.5cm from LE) Launched it with zero throttle out of fear of it pitching up violently (the power coming from underneath does not reassured me) lauched straight like an arrow....

Flew like a trainer, only faster, but what a ice thing to fly, slower than my f20 but far more elegant.

one drawback , on the 3rd flight I managed to put it in a flat spin, powered my way out of it, saved the plane, blew the motor ( wich I saw coming) Rememberring that edf's need speed, and not to fool aroud too much with them

So I'll be replacing the motor, wich means open heartsurgery. But this gives me the chance of remake the botton wich does eed to be reinforced, oracover is just not enough. Now I can also finish the details like cockpit an decals. Never do easthetic work on a plane that does not fly you know

Cheers

• 11 years later...

Sorry to bump an ancient thread but I just picked up this kit. Just looked over the plans and it all seems nice and straightforward enough build, except maybe the battery hatch will need some creative thinking. Am I right that the original battery install needed the wing to come off to remove the battery?

The other thing that I noticed is the CG position appears to be WAY far forward. I've not done a calculation of where it should be yet but the layout of the model is very conventional with a decent size horizontal stab, so I'd expect a CG in the 30% root chord ballpark. As shown on the plan it's more in the 15-20% range (more the CG position for a tailless model). CoG this far forward (as well as making the model likely to run out of elevator at low speed and land too fast) will make it hard to balance with a sensible size LiPo. 
Anyone who has built and flown the Yak have any comments?