Yak 23 build blog.....it begins.....

TonyS

I think the lighter weights would have been for lower power setups and no glass, I built my Sniper a lot heavier than stock by going to a 4 cell setup rather than a 3 cell. The only problem is it needs more space to land and comes in hotter because of the higher wing loading. You'll probably be OK as you have plenty of wing area, but if your really bothered you could change to a lower powered set up, this would mean a 3 cell battery and motor though, choice is yours really.

Tom

Advert

Yes, points taken.....
Comments - these wings are built like I don't know what - Unless I do something very silly I don't think they'll fail - famous last words !!
The Wattmeter is a problem. I have one but it won't take the loads that this motor / battery combo will produce 
Always more expense......... 

Thanks for the link David.
It was a very interesting article and I learnt a lot. My feeling after considering the wing loading issue is that the plane should fly well if flown in a scale fashion but won't like being 'thrown about' .
The only confusing bit was the stall speed comment - surely the higher the wing loading the higher the stall speed? Simplistically put, if wing load increases, the model will have to be flown faster at all times. I'd add some flaps but if I stick anything else to this thing it'll never get off the ground...

Heh, yes, I meant increase, for some reason I often say/write that the wrong way round Shows you've understood wing loading well tho The extra weight could necessitate a catapault or dolly takeoff, and you'll have to be careful on landing approach but it should handle fine otherwise. The good news is that it'll be blown around by wind less!

Actually, 2nd thoughts, flaperons may increase any tendancy to tip stall, so you should experiment at high altitude and low speed extensively before attempting them to reduce landing speed!

Some good advice here on learning to handle scale models with tip-stall tendancy.

Whether your model will have a tip stall tendancy or not I've no idea. If it's well behaved from that point of view then flaperons might be ok.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Chaps,
Just in case you'd all thought that this project had died a death well,.....
I've finished cutting all the decals tonight. This proved a little trickier than I first thought. Basically, my cousin did me some CAD drawings of the stars however, it transpired that they weren't perfectly symmetrical and I had a nightmare trying to stick the small red star into the middle of the larger white star into the middle of the even larger red star to get the desired effect. Anyway, in the end I found the solution. Cut a small red star then stick it to the white Solartrim sheet. Then cut around it. When finished, peel off, stick to the red then cut around that. The finished article does look stunning against the dark green. I'll post a pic in a second.
Cuttiing - 

Other pics to follow.. 

OK The plane so far...

The electrics are all in and once the painting is complete I can fix the tail, the ailerons and canopy.....
I have fired this up a few times and I now think that the extra weight shouldn't be any problem at all. The thrust from the Wild Beast is fantastic. 

Right chaps.
Just the elevator and aileron rods to connect and the interior of the cockpit to finish before gluing the lid down! (Ordered a pilot but still not sure......)

So, sporting the new paint job, which was applied using a £9.99 airbrush and a tin of wind..

Thanks Timbo,
I didn't enjoy the painting but I did manage to get it done and the colour was exactly what I was after.
Should have also said that with the chosen set-up, the CG turned out spot on with no adjustments required !
Now I'm going to need a buddy box and a decent pilot on this first outing. The knees are knocking already...... 

Ton,
If you lived closer I'd be tempted to let you fly the maiden - it deserves someone more skilled than me at the controls.
Fantastic model thanks to your great design. I enjoyed most of the build (only the glassing and painting that really gave me any problems and I learnt a lot for next time).
Already thinking about the next one!

Sorry chaps,

As this is a build blog I should give the final scores :

Kit from RBC Kits designed by Ton Munsteren 
AUW is 1550g or roughly 3lb 6oz
Power is from Mini Fan Pro 480
ESC is a Phoenix Ice 125A
Motor is Hoffman Magnetics Wild Beast 
(Supposedly this gives 4lb thrust off 4 cells using this fan - if so, thrust to weight is 1.17:1) 
Battery is 3,700 mAh Overlander extreme 30C 4cell
Power to the Spektrum AR6200 Rx is from a UBEC (5A - 8 cell from GiantCod)
Three 9g servos. 

Ton,
Nothing I like better than 'chewing the fat' as we say over here - i.e. a good old natter or Yakkering as you put it.

I've not been flying long - since the start of this summer. The only proper models I've built apart from this are one when I was about 16 (a few years ago, ahem) and the Yellow Peril - see my photo album).
So far the only planes I've flown regularly are the Easystar and my F-9F Panther EDF. I've flown my Funjet two or three times only and smashed my own design foamie and the Simply E-Zee virtually on their first outing. This was when I realised I needed a beginner-friendly trainer and bought the Easystar.
Wahat about you.  Looking at the quality of your building it looks like you've had a lot of experience. What do you prefer, electric or i.c., EDF or prop? 
I have to say I like the EDF's but prefer the jets from the 50/60's to the modern delta-wings and sharp angles.
Might try a Sabre next. I like Timbo's - (hint, hint)
I'm hoping to take some lessons on my trainer and build up my skills base. I'm confident I can potter around safely but maybe not so confident about how I'd handle a mid-air crisis. If I get really happy with the i.c. I fancy building a Sea Fury.
If you have any thoughts about a next model I'd be delighted to hear. One limitation I have is it probably needs to be able to be hand-launchable. 
The problem Ton is that there are just too many models and never enough time...... 

You really could do a lot worse than the Sabre Tony - mine is from ALFA, and has now got well over a hundred trouble free and ear perfect flights on it. Its one of the very few models that I would instantly replace should the worst happen. Hand launching is easy peasy, with no torque roll ( EDF has that advantage of course ).
It flies superbly on cheap 1200 mahr 3s LiP, and equally cheap 20A ESC with inbuilt BEC, small ar6100e parkfly Rx.  6 minute flights are the norm.
Some complain its pricey for its size, but the finish is excellent for a foamy, and it has given truly excellent VFM over the long run.Absolutely no nasty habits, has a great sit in the air, .......and I love mine to bits. Its not for sale

• 1 month later...
Whilst I'm waiting for bits for my other projects I've been looking at the Yak which has been sat forlornly in the corner with its empty cockpit just crying out to be finished.

I've been wondering why I haven't got on with it and I'm beginning to suspect that the real reason is that while it's unfinished I can't fly it and if I can't fly it I can't break it.... (as a well known meercat once said.... Simples...). Fear of breaking it.....

So today whilst reading Timbo's rather philosophical reflections on the demise of his Camel (my condolences, mon ami) I realised why it wasn't being finished and so, here I am...

There's only the cockpit left.

I have looked all over and can't find any pics of the inside of a Yak-23 anywhere so my thinking is, if I don't know what one looks like and I've been looking, how's anyone looking into my model going to know whether it's right or wrong? So, with my part-painted pilot I have set off down the final leg.

What it looks like now..

Firstly I cut out a paper template of the front...

Then I tested it for fit...

Then I made a balsa copy...

This when inserted will form the base for the instrument panel...
With the pilot and a seat back made of balsa and foam.. 

and finally with the canopy to show what it will finally look something like...

A bit basic ut with a few knobs and dials and a bit of paint you never know.. 

Now apart from an artificial horizon, altimeter, speedo (I know, it's an ASI, but let's not forget it's not a real plane), and compass, some lights to say - you're on fire, the motor's running, you need fuel, your mum's on the phone, wheels is up, wheels is down, not really sure what else to put in...?
I seriously thought, for a laugh, about putting in an optic vodka dispenser and have him reading a copy of Russian Lady Shotputters monthly, but that's actually harder than a few dials I think...