Bristol Beaufighter

fly-navy

I saw oil painting (original) by a famous aviation artist of the Beau.while on holiday and fell in love with the look of it.IIRC Tony designed one some time ago was there any link on here to it and has anyone had any experience of the build please?
I know where to get the plan from,I couldn't see it on Tonys website.
Any help appreciated guys.
John

Edited By fly-navy on 13/10/2009 01:09:17

I got this one Fly-navy -

Chasing plane is a Beaufighter NOT a Bristol Beaufighter.

The Bristol Beaufighter is below ... guess the difference between it and the Beaufighter.

And below is a Beaufighter

BB 

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 15/10/2009 21:59:09

Yeah Fly-Navy.  Its a common mistake that it gets mis-identified.  The Bristol & Beaufighter were made from the same factories.  It was a real 'mother' of necessity as an aircraft - made from many other parts: chassis,main span,tail section etc.. were All non original parts.  When the factories were bombed they built parts of it in 'Garden sheds', literaly.  Culminating in the Beau then the Bristol.  They saw service in many areas of the world - UK costal, reconnasiance,sub/ship attack.  The Bristol was of the two probably most feared in foreign climates.

Turbo charged engines coupled with a fast decsent rate under power mean't it would 'fall' on the enemy without prior warning, hence the term 'Whispering Death', coined by the Japanese !  Flying low and fast into costal regions its sorties were designed to surprise enemy shipping in or close to port before they had time to react.  together with those 'nose' mounted cannons, it could rip apart the hull of many a ship/frigate or destroyer.  It was lethal.

The elevator coupled with the overly powerful engines made the plane very unstable at low flight.  Many were tipped over on landing.  Just as many never left the ground as the torque was so strong that some even 'flipped' over under acceleration prior to takeoff.  Jeremy Clarkson knows nothing of torque !

It was, in its moment a Spoter/Bomber/Destroyer/Attacker/Fighter - A necessity.

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 15/10/2009 23:09:33

• 1 month later...

I think Basildon Biggles has some of his facts a bit awry.The Beaufighter was originally built with a flat tailplane,as it was developed from the Beaufort bomber.The aircraft was found to be somewhat unstable,and the mk 2 Beaufighter was fitted with a dihedral tailplane to correct this fault.The relatively quiet operation of the aircraft was due to the Bristol 'Hercules' sleeve-valve engines,which exhausted into a large collecter ring which formed the leading edge of the engine cowl.This resulted in the exhaust being cooled considerably before discharge,thereby lowering the exhaust volume and velocity.As regards the torque,yes it was evident,but according to many ex-beaufighter pilots,it was no worse than many other high power tail-dragger twins.But the beaufighter was always known as a Beaufighter,whether mk1 or mk2,flat tail or dihedral tail,Hercules power or Merlin power.Fantastic aircraft,it,s got that lovely ugliness,I've just completed building my model of it,just awaiting it's camoflge paint.......cheers,Mal.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hey Guys,
If anyone is still monitoring this post, I'm just registering my interest. There are two WW2 twins that I love, the DH Mosquito and the Bristol/Beaufighter, I didn't know the difference unti lI read this thread and 'Biggle' informative comments.

I'm going to build one for electric, maybe around 38-48" span and am looking around for a suitable plan before going of on the DIY from a few scale drawings thast I have already. I see Traplet list one for geared electric and guess that it may convert to use a pair of small outrunners. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
sparks