Bristol Beaufighter

fly-navy

Posted by sparks59 on 20/07/2010 07:38:45:
Hey Guys,
If anyone is still monitoring this post, I'm just registering my interest. There are two WW2 twins that I love, the DH Mosquito and the Bristol/Beaufighter, I didn't know the difference unti lI read this thread and 'Biggle' informative comments.

I'm going to build one for electric, maybe around 38-48" span and am looking around for a suitable plan before going of on the DIY from a few scale drawings thast I have already. I see Traplet list one for geared electric and guess that it may convert to use a pair of small outrunners. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
sparks
 Hi Sparks

The plan you are referring to might be the one by Robin Fowler - IIRC he did two, one plan for a radial engined Beaufighter and another one for the Merlin-engined version.

Another Beaufighter in the scale that you are interested in, which would make the basis for an O/D is the plan frpm RCSA by John Deacon. That Beaufighter is 48" span, designed for 2x.10cu in 2 strokes. I have one that is in the process of being converted and will use two cheap and cheerful e-Max BL2215/20 brushless outunners from Giantcod and a 3s1p3000mah Loong Max Tipple Lipo. I had intended fitting retracts to the model, but she'll probably go off a dolly to save weight.

Here she is hanging from the ceiling

together with the larger Flair Beaufighter.

A clubmate produced an O/D depron Beaufighter in that sort of size and she flies like a dream on two bell motors.

HVP Modellbau do a marvellous ARTF at about the same size, and those kits do sometimes crop up on eBay. They have the most beautiful ready build balsa sheeted wing and a nicely moulded fuselage. Mine's still in the box but one day I hope to fly a Beaufighter at Dallachy, as mentioned in the post by Flytilbroke above.

Best of luck with the Beaufighter build - if you're ever looking for scale information, pictures, etc, please drop me an email, I've accumulated quite a collection over the years as well as this

Yes, it is what it looks like - the joy of eBay

Edited By leccyflyer on 20/07/2010 13:03:13

Edited By leccyflyer on 20/07/2010 13:06:27

Oh, here's a link to the John Deacon RCSA plan of the smaller Beaufighter.

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16375/mag116--bristol-beaufighter

Bear in mind that the model is for IC. so has some chunky ply firewalls etc, but is amenable to lightening for electric. IIRC my mate Ken used that plan as the basic shape for his depron O/D, though he added some bits such as aircoolers etc and a fin strake, plus he made use of some very nice food container mouldings for his cowls. they aren[t exactly scale in profile, but they are lightweight and save a load of messing. He's used them on an A-26 Invader, an F-7F Tigercat and is working on a Douglas Boston/Havoc.

Look out for Princes "Hot Pots".

The contents taste disgusting, but it's worth it for the cowls.

Edited By leccyflyer on 20/07/2010 13:20:49

Watching this thread with great interest as having seen one being restored at flying legends I am considering one of these as my winter project and first twin.

I considering either the 70in or 90in one. I see belair do the bigger one as a short kit and I am going to phone to find out how much it would cost to kit the smaller one. 

I have an idea on the electric set up needed for the smaller one,  2 of these on 4cell http://www.4-max.co.uk/ppo-4250.htm#800

Any guess as to what sort of power set up would be needed for the bigger one ? 

Looking at the model I would assume you needed the lipo in the nacelles to get the C of G far enough forward, anyone know how big a lipo you could get in the nacelles ?

• 5 weeks later...
I have got the plan for the 72in TN version along with the build article. I contacted 4-max who have recommended these ppo-5055 580 as it needs the weight to balance properly. I am also considering an E-Max GT4020/7 as my LHS sell them. Prop wise 4-max recommend a 14*7 but I will probably go for a 14*8 for a little more speed . Batteries will be either 4000mAH or 4500mAh Loongmax 4 Cell.
I am also hoping to use these retracts http://www.tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk/Retracts-Lancaster.htm Just need to make sure the oleos are around the right lengh. Now just need to finish the Lysander and get cutting (or do it the lazy way )

Edited By MThemadhatter on 21/08/2010 23:33:49

Belair do a short kit for the 93" one, that would not fit in my car lol, for the 70" traplet say they will eventually, and TN does not do it either. I am seeing what Belair can do and for how much.

For UC for the 70" see third to last post. 

I am thinking about making mine as one of the later models with radar dome on the front, extended tail fin and hanging a torpedo and some rockets off it. 

Here you go

I was put off by the frighting escalation in the price of the power train and UC and the one peice wing (need a bigger car). I have heard that his model is a bit fright with an engine out though, hence why mine will be electric.

Here a lece one with a sound system

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Iam posting some pics of my RBCkits Beaufighter in this topics have a look when your interrested.

I also have the article of the plan in the RCMW international and in the article stated that the first design from Tony had a makeover or better a update and that there were two models build which look very nice seeing the pics of the models.

Talking to a college modeller on the Dutch forum he offered me to send the plan of the Nijhuis Beau to have a look,  but when I recieved the plan I was amazed that the plan is totally differend from the plan showed in the article. The plan I recieved was the original Nijhuis design with the homemade retracts and flat tail sections.

Iam kinda curius if anyone has recieved the new updated plan or the origenal Nijhuis plan they have the same number mentioned on the drawing.

Ton