How to start in the UK?

Thomas

Hello all,

I hope I'm in the right place here. I'm no beginner to model flying, but a beginner to the UK.

I'm german and it's possible (not absolutely sure) that I'm going to move to the UK within the next year. Of course my different planes and helicopters would move together with me, but.... different country, different rules.

So I would be grateful if someone could help me with some basic questions:

1. Insurance?
In germany you need a special insurance for model flying. I suppose, that it's the same in the UK. Am I right?

2. Where may I fly?
I'm no big fan of clubs, especially because I'm flying mostly smaller foamies and electric helicopters with a maximum weight of 4.5 lb. Is it permitted in the UK to fly on your own on meadows and fields? If yes, what are the limitations (weight of the model, type of the model (electric / fuel), distance to next town/village, etc)? Do you need the permission of the owner of a meadow or field?

3. Remote control?
I suppose 35 MHz and 2.4 GHz transmitters are permitted, as this is a standardized EU regulation, so that I may use my existing transmitters (Multiplex Cockpit SX 35 MHz and, soon, either Multiplex Royal Evo M-Link or  Futaba FF10 FASST). Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

cu Thomas

Advert

In answer to number 2, and a beginner myself, don't rule out clubs.  My local club consists of a farmers with a takeoff/landing strip that is kept mowed.  Often when I go, I am the only person there.  But it gives me a place that I know I can fly safely in with owners permission, no risk off upsetting anybody or having an encounter with stray farm animals/people!

A club simply means it's organised and authorised, doesn't mean it's full of people.  The club I am at, you can fly anything you want from a £20 toys-r-us foam toy upwards.

Hi Thomas....and welcome to our "friendly forum".

Please take a minute to read the various threads we have done to help you get the most from using the forum. Also, you may want to consider filling in a little about yourself on your profile page - you don,t need to divulge too much - check a few others for ideas - it will help you to get better response from the other forum users.

I know you are experienced so some of the following may not be totally relevant but below you will find a few "clickable" links to some useful links.

Please read these. 

And here 

And another

BMFA clubs 

Once again, welcome aboard and have fun- I think you have the answers to your OP, and yes your radio gear will be fine.

Timbo.

Thanks for the welcome and the informations.

Seems to me, that the differences in the rules for model flying are minimal.  BMFA is the exact counterpart of the german DMFV ('deutscher Modellflugverband' or in english 'german model flying assocation), where I'm already a member.

I hope it's not too windy in the UK.

cu Tom

Edited By Thomas on 13/10/2009 21:02:30

Oy! Dont you go wishing for no wind - we slopers will gang up on ya - and you wouldnt want to be messing with these two would you now?
( especially the little fella in the foreground )
Now you know what the moderators here do when they aint moderating.....

I'm flying the sloper BAE hawk seen here on finals - my co pilot is watching and learning

Heres another....

- and the photographer just presented me tonight at our indoor meet,  with a nice reminder of my sadly missed flyfly hawk .

This one was taken down the patch in the summer - great shot with the background lending atmosphere and scale to the model.

oops...off topic...sorry Thomas I have hijacked your thread. Thats blown the raise

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 13/10/2009 23:51:36

oops...off topic...sorry Thomas I have hijacked your thread. Thats blown the raise

No problem.

I'm moderator in a RC-forum myself (http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/index.php) and am the last one who's in the position to complain about thread hijacking.

I really enjoyed the images of your Hawk. I really like the BAE Hawk. Seems to be one of the most flown RC-jets at all. Even the reigning RC jet world champion bagged most of his trophies with a Hawk. From what country did he come again? Ok, bragging now.

cu Tom

Hi Thomas
With all the thread hi jacking going on I am not sure your original questions were fully answered.
1. Insurance is strongly recommended but is not a legal requirement in the UK, however clubs will quite rightly insist on it.
2. You must gain the land owners permission to fly from their land. Many public places have restrictions banning or limiting model flying.
Model flying is covered by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) document CAP658 (free down load) which defines what is a model plane and what permissions are required to fly it. Planes below 7kg have the least restriction, those over 20kg need a specific CAA exemption certificate.
3. 27, 35 MHz and 2.4 GHz are the permitted frequencies for RC aircraft. 

I hope this helps.

Just to add to the answer on 35MHz.

Although it's a "European standard" there are differences in the precise frequencies available in various European countries. 

Here we can use frequencies from 34.950 to 35.300 MHz.
In Germany it is 35.010 to 35.200 MHz, plus 35.820 to 35.910MHz.  

So the German "top range" (35.820 to 35.910MHz) is not legal here,  though we have an additional 6 frequencies at the lower end of the standard range and an additional 10 at the top which are not legal in Germany. 

Standards,  don't you just love 'em!

Posted by John Privett on 15/10/2009 10:50:19:
Just to add to the answer on 35MHz.

Although it's a "European standard" there are differences in the precise frequencies available in various European countries. 

Here we can use frequencies from 34.950 to 35.300 MHz.
In Germany it is 35.010 to 35.200 MHz, plus 35.820 to 35.910MHz.  

So the German "top range" (35.820 to 35.910MHz) is not legal here,  though we have an additional 6 frequencies at the lower end of the standard range and an additional 10 at the top which are not legal in Germany. 

Standards,  don't you just love 'em!

Ah, that's of course an important information. Thank you. Fortunately I'm operating my transmitter in the german A-range (standard) and not in the B-range (top), so I should be inside the permitted frequencies in the UK. The switch to 2.4 GHZ (either Multiplex M-Link or Futaba Fasst) is scheduled for next year anyway.

cu Tom