EDF Jets

Mark Jones

Advert

Do not reccomend Kyosho Illusion, just far too much money for a tiny plane that's only attribute is that it's fast [isn't that the point of EDF anyway?].

Can reccomend Alpha Sabre, one of the guys at the club got one last week, and everybody loves it, and that's on stock fan and 3s Lipo, so nowt fancy.

Its actually ALFA not ALPHA ( different company )
I too have this plane, but would suggest that it is not for beginners. OK as first EDF, but should be experienced pilot generally, b4 trying this one. It gets real small quick, it slows a lot in the turns ( just like most jets ) but otherwise its a beauty.

I have the Multiplex Twister it's easy and fast to build and flies ok with the stock motor and fan and would suit someone starting out in EDF but does not really have the performance of something like the Tigershark, which is disappointing from my point of view.

Jetsome,

Mine hand launched fine, I was using 20 c discharge 3s Hyperion cells in it will climb steeply from launch but I have managed to burn out the bearing in the motor, I do like full throttle. I'am going to replace it with a Venom Heli motor, it certainly is impressive for the money as I have the Alfa jets as well which fly well but have nowhere near the performance of the Tigershark, I may just have buy a second one if replacing the motor proves too difficult.

I think I may just have gotten a faulty motor, the Venom is the motor that CML are recommending for the Alfa jets it has 4900 revs per volt so should be similar to the motor supplied originally with the Tigershark, I am hoping that it will be more efficent as the original motor pulled over 22 amps at full power.

• 2 weeks later...
F16 maiden flight today.....oh wow, I'd seen somebody in the States with the same set up as mine, they reckoned 100mph....I was,hmmmmmm, whatever...well, don't know how fast it is, but it's the fastest thing anybody has seen at the club barring a turbine.

Not only that, but amazingly, it's a pussycat, half throttle, and it will still go vertical from level flight, but was flown in this horrendous wind [must be 15mph+]....did a pass at around 5ft [not me, somebody better than me!], full bore....no rocking wings, totally rock steady in conditions that were blowing my Ripmax Spit around quite badly....like I said, this is on a 4s [14.8v] set up, but I reckon the 3s one would be good fun.

• 1 month later...
There are half a dozen kit's at the mo that are basically all the same, barring the name on the box and the power set up. "Our's" [can't go into shamless plugging here, although you could pm me for a website address?] is the same airframe as the others, comes in plain white foam, Mega 55 fan, with motor options for 3s or 4s.  I painted our's in desert storm type colours, mainly because of painting foam! Used magnolia matt emulsion for all surfaces for base colour and to "seal" foam, then Plasticoat horrible brown, lightly blown for camouflage look [er, just don't land in a barley field like somebody did!].....looked great, much better than all grey/white for such a small/fast model!

• 10 months later...
Check out the world models unijet, based on the fan trainer, comes artf complete with fan and brushless for just over £100. This is my first edf and been flying it all summer can't sing its praises loud enough, fast, slow in any weather simply brilliant. Got mine from Steve Webb Models. Photo in gallery.