WOT4 Review

Interesting reading the review especially in relation to its use as a trainer. This was the first IC mode I built after returning to modelling and learning to fly on an M/Px Twin Star II.
Ok, I had a few solo flights under my belt when I flew the WOT4 but I found it so much easier to fly than the Twin Star - no ballooning about and felt so much 'heavier' and positive in the controls - to coin that overly used phrase - "felt like it was on rails". adn you could put it exactly where you want to.
 I would thoroughly recommend it as a trainer from my personal experience.
Mike

• 2 months later...
Advert

I would agree with yo Mike.I recently purchased an old Wot 4 off Ebay and find it a joy to fly.To start with it was to responsive ,Ive reeduced the thows and its much nicer to fly but still very responsive.I also hsd a twin star and its flying changed on a daily basis.Ive given it to an expert and he gets lots more out of it but has already had a bad crash with it.Fortunately I had a spare  fuz so ita back in the air

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You're dead right Lee. But what I do notice is a lot of learners do need the real trainer - but maybe only for a short period and could graduate to something like a WOT4 quite quickly - like within a 8-10 flights. The problem is they're stuck with the trainer they have invested in.

Sometime I think some trainer designes are actually a hindrance to the later stages of a beginner's learning because they are too stable. The WOT4 - particularly in "Calssic" mould with no dihedral - is often actually better for them at that stage, as they start to develop a feel for the ailerons they need a model that just goes where you point it!

Sometimes I think the ideal trainer would have adjustable dihedral so you could decrease it as the beginner learn to take more responsibility for keeping the model straight and level. Now there's a thought for an enterprising manufacturer!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/01/2011 11:54:54

you used to be able to buy models with dihedral in them and then just buy the sport wing after to go straight on, many many years ago i learnt on a HI BOY 4 my instructor at the time hated it ! "not stable enough" he would grumble under his chest he would have everyone learn on a super sixty if it was up to him.  but i found it to be fine and really enjoyed it and despite a few prangs i went solo on it a well set up trainer can be very manoeuvrable  watch Andy E throw his sons trainer around and you will be amazed 

• 4 weeks later...
Malcolm
I had the same problem with the under-cart I recessed a piece of 1/4" ply in place of plastic base plate, cut a piece of 1/16" ply to fit inside fuselage and drilled through and fixed with nylon bolts I made the 1/4 ply come to the edge of the battery hatch and screwed the latch to it.
Jeff