Launching in strong wind

Hello, I was trying to fly my 46" Fusion in a 30kt wind today at a coastal site, however, I just couldn't get it launched. It either flew backwards for miles or just rolled/dived in. What is the technique? I tried going down the slope a bit but that didn't work. I gave up in the end I've read that people fly these unballasted in similar winds so must be possible? 20kt is the strongest I've flown in so far.

Advert

I like to think it conveys a sentiment and is not easily misinterpreted as a girly throw. Alternatively of course if  Stubee is a southern shandy drinking mardy pants as opposed to coming from oop north, it might also explain his lack of committment when clodding a foamie towards the wet stuff, in which case my advise would simply be to move house or grow some knackers......

The 46" Fusion is very sensitive to elevator trim, and if unballasted, will need one or two clicks of down trim to penetrate.
If the lift is good, as it should be in a good blow, then flying "downhill" will not be a problem.
Mine flies much better since I buried 4oz of lead in the fus - right on the balance point.
Even so, for 30mph+ I think that 6 or 8oz may be better.
As above, give it a really good slightly downwards chuck to launch close to flying speed, and try not to let the wind catch the underside.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Timbo - Administrator on 06/11/2009 10:19:40:
Posted by Mowerman on 06/11/2009 09:22:35:
Girly chucking ? Thats sexist.
 Moderate yourself Timbo.
 Errr, you havent seen shooting star launching our wildthings have you
....She may be able to fly fine now, but launching is another matter .

So; female slope soarers really do exist. In case anyone thinks I'm being sexist I'm not suggesting that the fairer sex can't or shouldn't fly models, I'm just surprised.

I never thought female trainspotters existed until a few months back. I was driving up the A65 towards Settle and I noticed four ladies with camcorders/cameras waiting for a steam special to come through. I had to look several times as I could hardly believe my eyes!

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 18/11/2009 06:01:57:
Why Floaty light were they wearing mini skirts and bending over to take a good picture

I don’t remember any bending. The railway was on an embankment at that point so they were looking up, not down. Some of them were wearing mini skirts and at least one had fish nets. Hope that answers your question.

Right, I’ll try and get on topic now.

One of my favourite flying sites (sadly now left behind in the South of England) had a very steep section right at the top of the hill. A fellow flyer and I found that it was possible to launch our models in a strong wing just by holding them up, waiting for a steady, non-gusty moment and then just letting go. No throwing required at all! Has anyone else tried this?

I have been on the GT O when the winds been blowing a hoooooly and it just takes effort and lots of it , No need to stick weight in the WT or the fusion , It will actually bend the wings ( not a good thing )  , Just get it past the compression zone and out into the lift and she'll be fine , also a good day for practising hand catches Me and Phil Turner were playing at this in 54mph wind on Lundy there's a vid somewhere I will have a look for it

Throw it hard and nose down for out then you'll be fine 

Lee