This Devil has taken me Over

Stephen Grigg

This is what I brought back with me,I sold an old Landcriser for cash,so when I travelled up to collect this one I thought I might prize something else from him.Id just been out bid on another model from the same guy.He very kindly is selling them for a gents widow who passed away last year.He has been messed around by the buyer of the last model and I was outbid by £4,I was hoping to get that one as well,but he wouldnt sell it to me.He left a message tonight saying the other guy has let him down and would I like to buy it ----------durgh,why didnt he let me have it when I was there.Ive sent him a message saying Ill buy 2 off him to help with the cost.Ive just been outbid on a biplane by a £1 in the last 6 seconds.I was sitting there planning which engine to put in it and it was to late to respond when it happened.It was only just down the road from me as well

Advert

NOW,I know you kind guys on this forum are only trying to help me but please can you stop out bidding me in the last 6 seconds on every item Im bidding on.I havent bought a thing the whole weekend and its just not fair.Next thing youll all turn up at the auction I buy my cars from and I wont get any cars either

• 3 weeks later...
Ive been at it again,bought a Top Gun Cessna 182 from Plymouth,not flown wrong engine servos not fitted correctly but shoulnt take long to fix,a Pulse for spares,a vintage low wingger with what looks like a 4 stroke,and a parasol winged 60" something that is half buit.I bid on 16 items tonight and finished up with 2,bit of travelling coming up

I have to comment on my E bay purchases,if you do it be carefull,an cautious.Ive bought some bargains and horrors.My first purchase was a Saito 40 thats a sad horror,but Ive boought 3 engines fir £100 that are like new.The latest couple of models are challenging.The Puss Moth is superb with weathering and everything but the engine fitment has me confused.The Top Gun Cessna 182 is lovely but badly fitted together but straight forward to repair,but the engine fitted totally wrong.Fortunately I have lots of spare engines so an SC 52 4 strke is earmarked.I have lots to keep me busy for the rest of the year and one more scale ready to fly Im waiting for a call on.

I have recently bought an Enya 46-4C that was so terrible that I ended up writing most of a column about it. I wouldn't trust the previous owner with a set of Lego bricks.

Also just bought a new in Box OF FS40 Surpass at half price and another almsot NIB at less than 1/3rd price.

You want a radio controlled watch and bid in the last 3 seconds. If you are  outbid, they bid higher than you before you did.

You blokes are lucky, some you may know I am twin nutter,so every time I am searching for a new /old engine, I need to buy 2 of them. Also a strong believer in OS 4ST's. Everything from 26's to 120's most are complete, and going, but yea I have bought a few "duds" e.g. crank bearings that are almost fused, pistons gummed up...............has the devil got me??????????????
A.A.Barry  

B,

I have lots of airframes, a few ready to fly but will need to be collected. Looking at your profile, Australia may be a bit far!
Funnily enough though, one is the Cloud Models Whirlwind (unfinished) which is your avatar.

Money in the bank and Galaxy just up the road, what a combination.

This one appears to have an OS 30 4 Stroke,its as new and looks unflown.Its complete,and only needs a 2.4 receiver.Its only fault is it has spongy tyres and they ve gone flat where its been standing on them.The Phoyos they took on E bay didnt do the models justice.If Id known they were this good Id have bid higher,for the ones I missed.Still there are a lot of buyers who will enjoy this gents models and the quality of his skills

That one above is called Scorpion.This one quiet took my breath away

This one I paid £22 for.The work is far above anything Im capable of,especially the metal work.The soldering is amazing.Its 3 channel and its descriptionwas 60" parasol wing.It is aTriangular fuselageand its even fitted with shock absorber U/C.Im going to show it to an expert at the club for advise on engine and covering.I may consider asking an expert club member to cover it the model deserves it and I would dread spoiling it,Still the hard work has been done,the coverin only needs to follow a perfect frame.

I havent been to Suffolk yet Andy!!!!!!!!! Yes Peter very vintage,the only thing wrongso far is it has sponge tyres and where its been standing they look like they have a puncture.Its also fitted with a cylindrical metal tank.There is no provision for a breather on the exhaust to pressurize the tank.,But my expert assures me the position of the tank componsates for this.Also the 2 tubes come out at the bottom.I assume you  fuel up in one until fuel comes out the other and put bungs in both!

Stephen,  I'm assuming this tank has a feed pipe to the engine,  the two pipes you mention coming out of the bottom and no other pipes?

If that's the case then if you put bungs on both the pipes coming out of the bottom then you'll never get more than a few seconds motor run before it stops as it can't suck any more fuel out of the (sealed) tank.

Good point John,as you say there is a feed pipe to the engine,the tank is placed high in the bulk head with the carb right next to it,do I leave them both open or put a bung in one,therefore as you correctly point out one must be a breather.Ive fitted a 2.4 receiver,and the battery is on charge.Ill bind the receiver this evening,the weather forecast looks good for Sunday

I'd imagine both the pipes run to the top of the tank.  In which case I can't see any significant difference in "bunging" one or leaving them both "unbunged." 

I suppose bung one,  there will be some attitudes (eg. nose-up or nose-down) in which it's possible for fuel to leak out of the vent pipe(s) so only having one open will minimise this.

AA Barry,

The Whirlwind is an unfinished project. The wing and nacelles are done, just the fuselage and tail feathers to do. The upper deck is an ABS moulding and there is a new one in the box, i made a real dogs breakfast of the first one so ordered another. It is wired up for two brushed 480 motors, but would need some slight wing surgery to put ESC wiring in instead if using brushless which to be honest is the way to go, I just never got around to finishing it. The whole fuselage is moulded plastic skins over a plywood crutch and is very light. There are some good photo's if you google it.

Andy.

Thanks John,Im hoping to get time off tomorrow,then my expert will fly it.We were a bit worried on the parasol wing model about covering the  tail and rudder because they are fixed into position.Close inspection shows the gent has used covering for the hinges and you can see the hinge is a sewn seam very small stitching but perfectly done which will make things a lot easier