Electric setup problem

Simon UK

Simon
The WD fuselage is almost indestructable.
In an early hard crash the brushed motor broke free and ended up by the servos, the end of the battery was distorted, the weight of the metal push rod stripped the gears in a servo, the wing broke into two and the fin broke free. Yes, there was a small crease in the fuselage but that was it.
In fact completely removing the servo tray makes the nose section a bit more flexible and even more crash resistant but not necessarily for the bits inside!
Just a point but servos on the outside of the fuselage will not only add a bit to the overall drag but will not improve the smooth airflow to the prop.
If you look on some of the other model flying web sites you will find all sorts of mods people have made to WDs (and their clones). Most seem to add strength but at the cost of extra weight and therefore require still more power.
The only structural strengthening I ever did was to glue the two halves of the wing together & tape the joint as well.
Thereafter my philosophy was to improve the performance with the power I had by reducing weight hence my brushless and prop (a 7x4) remained the same.

Thanks Peter, i nailed the motor problem early by making sure that the propeller was tight. It appears it was spinning on the shaft at high rev's which made the motor do strange things.

Simon good to hear about the fuselage being able to take a unplaned landing or two , to be honest i am going to try the servo's on the side (just because im curious now) i will post my finding's when i get it done and tested.

I have tried the M1 cells and i can get a triangle pack of 3 in the nose with no problem, now i'm afraid im hooked on lecky power now simply because i can tinker so much with setups.

On a different note i was flying my Seagull Arising Star today, quite windy which made for some entertaining flying. The clean up alone (not to mention all the faffing around with the carb) has made my mind up. I'm going 100% Electric.