DB Sport and Scales Auster J1

Jozef M

I decided to buy Auster simply because it has detacheble wings + is high wing design which I believe is easier to fly. I never flown RC plane before if I wont count electric 2 channels thing. All my experience and knowledge came from some flying lessons in real glider and powered aircraft + Microsoft Flight Sim

I also never built any model before, so this is quite exciting for me and I must say I am really enjoying it, despite having a lots of head scratching and doing tons of online researches.

I can't really compare or make qualified comments on kit. I can just say when it arrived it was packed very nicely and all the parts are laser cut.

I started the build few month ago and now I have fuselage + rear wings and fin attached, making some mistakes like gluing hatch to the fuselage and then cutting it out which I find to be funny!

I will post later more description and I hope more experienced people who are around give me some advices and not much laugh

This is my dashboard which is completely artist licenceand based on my imagination and still needs attaching some pieces like throttle lever and so on

This is what I have built so far. I decidet to use rear wheel from Dubro, but I am in doubt if it is not too high? It lifts fuselage off the ground by 10 cm, which I thought is too much, so I embedded attaching platform into fuselage a bit. /i take detail photo later/, but it still look bit high for me.

Stage prior attaching tail wheel. I altered front cowl by cutting out opening for additional air inlet to prevent engine from overheating as I read 2 stroke nitro gets quite hot, but after some time I decided to fit 4 stroke ASP 0.80 FS or 0.91.

This is detail of tailwheel from side. You can notice wires from rudder closed loop, but at the moment I am not sure how can I stretch them nicely tight

Now one problem. When building the fuselage after assembling plywood parts what supports landing gear and adds sturdiness to it, I saw off overlapping parts, which I thought they were cut mistakenly too long, and after few weeks I looked at manual to find out they were supposed to support wing supports uuuuu! This is a picture of it.

That is all so far, I would be more than thankful for any comments and advices!

Advert

Hi Jozef

You've taken on quite a project for your first model aircraft. If you'd asked me for advice before starting to build the Auster I wouldn't have recommended it. Scale models are not built as strongly as conventional trainers but we are where we are.

Having criticised your choice of model, here are a few positives;

1. You have some experience of flying a full sized model and small electrics. I assume from this that you know something about how an aircraft flies and that you know that when a model is flying towards you that right is left and left is right. "Prop up the  lower wing!" I say to all of my beginners.

2.I've found that full-sized pilots soon learn how to fly models

3. You are a natural modeller, that dashboard is a work of art!

4. You've chosen a nice big model which will be easy to see and which will fly very slowly between manouvres giving you plenty of "thinking time."

You asked for advice:

The only advice which I can give you at this stage is for you to join a club and get a qualified instructor to help you to fly the model. A visit to the BMFA website www.bmfa.org.uk will tell you the location of your nearest club.

The best of luck with the project.

David

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

That thread would seem to be here

( this is a very old thread so a bit of lateral thinking and clicking on any likely item produced the result! )

I think there was a bit about building a DB Auster in RCME about a year or two ago - in Pete Lowes Trad Building articles.

Edited By kc on 05/03/2017 17:21:17

The DB Auster is a lovely large scale model and a delight to fly................. for a reasonably experienced modeller. A beginner will find it heavy on the controls and rather ponderous, but for scale type flying it's just the job. I think that few of us will recommend it as a trainer, so I'd implore Jozef to keep the Auster in his 'hanger' for the time being after completing the build, and make all his tyro flying mistakes on a conventional trainer which is, after all, designed specifically for the job.

Love the instrument panel............yes

Posted by kc on 05/03/2017 17:04:47:

That thread would seem to be here

( this is a very old thread so a bit of lateral thinking and clicking on any likely item produced the result! )

I think there was a bit about building a DB Auster in RCME about a year or two ago - in Pete Lowes Trad Building articles.

Edited By kc on 05/03/2017 17:21:17

I can't open any pictures on the above thread. I was given an almost complete DB Auster some time ago. It's my intention to finish it before the summer.

Posted by kc on 05/03/2017 19:24:44:

Cuban8 -- Jozef posted that over 7 years ago! I guess your advice is too late! ( but sound advice though )

Yes, I really didn't notice how old the original post was - I wonder how Josef got on with his model?