First flight of A400M

Advert

Nice to see her actually flying even if it is a few years behind, but there again it's built by a Europeans so it will be. Can anyone else spot a few similarities between the A400 and the C-17, I wonder where they got their ideas from ? I hope it does make it into service, although the sensible and cost effective option would be more C-17s and new Hercs used as they are now in a hub and spoke role. A large turbo prop seems a step backwards and won't work as a strategic airlifter just like the J model Herc failed to.

Actually thats not true Simon, the C-17 is capeable of landing on a 2700ft strip(650ft more than a Herc) at an all up weight of 585,000lbs (almost 4 times that of a Herc), tactically if you so desired, you can deploy all 4 thrust reversers in flight, combine that with full speed brake and flaps and you can achieve a sink rate of 20,000ft/min, it's quite a handy big bird.

You wouldn't put a C-17 through the abuse a strip landing inflicts on the airframe though, look at our Herc fleet , they are all almost life ex due to the stress that sort of landing puts on the wing. A C-17 is far to valuable an asset to do that sort of work. 

Your absolutely right though, the C-17 is a strato lifter where the A400M will be an in between, capeable of carring the Armys range of larger vehicles that they now use and doing the donkey work the Hercs do so well but not really a long range transporter as they are trying to sell it as.

It is something we require, it's just a shame it's a project thats been on the drawing board for 40 years and it's still behind.

Don't get me started on Typhoon (Baboon) or we'll be here all day on that waste of space !