Maricardo builders

rathers

I have built 4 Maricardos following the article in 2004 and I''m attaching a pic of my latest. It is an excellent all round plane for a club flyer like myself but will also perform great aerobatics as demonstrated by our club examiner Shane Harding who flew a perfect rolling circle when he test flew it for me. My version has an OS 46 AX, bigger tank, diferential aileron throws and 4 degree side thrust.

However, the plan leaves a lot to be desired and conflicts with the article. The former dimensions are wrong, the fuselage does not match the modified wing and you cannot buid the cockpit/tank bay from the plan but have to make it up as you go along. There are a number of other minor errors. Nothing that an experienced modeller cannot fix but it is a pity that the plan was not been modified after I spoke to Graham Ashby soon after it was printed.

For this latest version I had Belair produce a laser cut parts set ( dimensions modified) which at £70 was pretty good value although ther were a couple of minor errors.

I''m sorry to seem to be  carping but this might help other builders and the plane is certainly worth the effort.

Ken Rathborne

Advert

I came across the Maricardo, in a model mag in the mid 70's, not sure whiich one now, (model aicraft or english RCM), not sure wether it was a free plan, but it was certaintly good flyer, I have threatened myself to do another, but with so many other projects, it possibly won't happen
Yea, good to see it reinvented
A.A Barry

I have a Maricardo which will be about 17 years old.  I purchased it from Marionville Models in Edinburgh and I understood it was a model designed and produced by Carlos the shop owner.  Is this the same model?

My model looked very similar to your photograph when it was in one piece.  Unfortunately I had an indecent that caused a considerable amount of damage.    The wing was broken in half and I have cut the  former for the ribs as I will be making a built up wing rather than a foam, purely as I have found it easy to do and as I have no knowledge of foam.

Its third down the line on my renovation projects and once complete will post a photo for comparison.  I would love to achieve the standard of your model but my skills are limited. 

Hi

I'm building a Maricardo at the moment (or rather, I have been building one on and off for about three years).

Ken, could you clarify what the drawing errors are, cos I have hit one or two snags during the building process (besides daughter being born, moving house, F-in-law passing away), and would love a heas up before I go any further and end up with a passable welsh dresser instead of a flying model...

cheers

AlistairT

I built one of these back in 1977 or 78. It was my first "big" model powered by an Enya 40. I built it as per plan and flew it on three channel - rudder, elevator, motor - with the dihedral, of course. Radio was very expensive then - I had just built the RCM&E proportional gear (when the "E" in RCM&E meant electronics, rather than electric) and could only afford three servos.

I remember it flew very well on three channels and was a major step up for me from the 1.5 - 2.5cc R/C models I was flying at the time. I am tempted to try one with an Irvine 53 - I know it will be a great flyer.

Mick.

I am building a Maricardo just now. The fuselage, tail and fin are all finished. The wing is another matter. It is very difficult to build it straight, my plan is to assemble the ribs onto the spars, then pin the T/E onto the board and with the spars supported glue the ribs to the T/E. Then sheet the rear section while still pinned to the board, then do the same with the L/E. The whole wing is very flimsy till you get the sheeting on. I would be interested to hear of any other build sequences.

Barry

• 10 months later...
HI all,  looking at the Maricardo plan, I see the elevator, rudder, and fin are 1/4 balsa sheet,  Would I gain any thing by building these as built up structures, or leave well alone, and carry on as the designer planned. Having read all the good reviews of this model,it may be a case of strength and a quicker build. ps I may have answered my own question. LoL Thanks FB3

Hello Magnar, thanks for answering my query on the Maricardo, also the photos were great and very helpfull.  I do like the changes you have made to the model, it does look very much the Sukhoi.  Your flying field also looks very nice indeed.  What engine have you fitted to the model.?  Cheers FB3

• 3 weeks later...
The nose ring is usually thin ply , maybe 1/32 so the balsa sides sand away easily down to the ply shape.  It would be easier to make in ply to exact size and glue or double sided tape on another ply  washer to fit the shaft.  Fit a balsa piece in between to allow clearance for prop & spinner. The balsa can later be cut away easily and sanded off.

Edited By kc on 14/12/2010 12:16:29

• 4 weeks later...
The Maricardo plan requires 37 inch fus. sides.  My stock balsa is 36 inches. What would be the best way forward ( no 48inch)  Deviate from plan and have the fus  1 inch shorter,? or add the required 1 inch.  Due to glue and strengheners this way may end up in adding unwanted weight to the wrond end of the model.  Would a model with a shorter fus fly just as well. Thanks FB3

It is usual to join the fus sides over the ply doubler at the front end.  A diagonal joint is usual.  But in this instance the fus is strengthened with 1/4 sq longerons at the back so the sheet could be joined there without too much loss of strength. The front is better because of the ply and 1/4 sheet doubler reinforce over the joint.
48 inch balsa is easily availble from The Balsa Cabin etc.

Edited By kc on 08/01/2011 19:25:39

Thanks r6dan, and kc,It looks like scarfed joints, at the correct position in the fus, and sticking to correct dimensions of the plan is the order of the day. I suppose modellers used to building much larger models than I, have always come across this little problem, and used similar procedures as a matter of fact. Thanks FB3

FB3
Are these of help,

I am just rebuilding the wing, the cabin was from the original model which I bought S/hand, the wing bolt fits from the top down, not as the plan up from under the wing,
the yellow tube is to guide the screw driver and stop the screw getting lost inside.
The dowel alignment was already there from the original build, I just put the new win in place on the fus and offered the cabin to it.