Beginners woes

Rob Tonks

yes forget it. This the position I want to fly real planes but no way could I afford it and I think model flying is the next best thing and in some ways better as I can fly anything.

Started on cub as it was given to me free,  I got bitten by the bug and realised the next stage of models are in fact real planes if you get my meaning.

If I could learn trainer and maybe get a class then I would be  chuffed to be able to flty some serious kit.

Advert

Hey this is getting more like it thanks to you all and the comment on old fogies ring true. When I purchased  first plane and had about an hours advice in shop an old boy moaned he was waiting behind a novice and he wanted to buy his scale plane pars. I was told to ignore him and that he spent nearly all Saturday in shop.

Hedidnt actually bother me that much and never came accross thisattitude  in the armed forces as we always watched out for each other. Just how this site is now going so thanks for the lift you lot it has made a big difference already.

Could we at least visit Basingstoke club just  to view and learn and see hwats required for a class etc.

Well if you still want to use the IC ( liquid fuelled ) model that you have already, then I seriously suggest your next step is to find a suitable club - flying IC without such facilities is a bit of non starter TBH, and have you got insurance? This is a MUST.
have you tried the BMFA to get in touch with a club?
For those wanting / needing to go it alone, I would suggest an electric model would have been better...as the smaller lighter ones, ( often with no troublesome undercarriage ) can be flown in places other than proper club sites - maybe you have a freindly farmer or similar nearby?
Of course, if you eventually see yourself flying a nice warbird etc, then you are really going to have to persist in finding a proper club with  proper take off and landing strip etc.

Posted by Rob Tonks on 19/12/2009 22:18:42:
Hey this is getting more like it thanks to you all and the comment on old fogies ring true. When I purchased  first plane and had about an hours advice in shop an old boy moaned he was waiting behind a novice and he wanted to buy his scale plane pars. I was told to ignore him and that he spent nearly all Saturday in shop.

Hedidnt actually bother me that much and never came accross thisattitude  in the armed forces as we always watched out for each other. Just how this site is now going so thanks for the lift you lot it has made a big difference already.

Could we at least visit Basingstoke club just  to view and learn and see hwats required for a class etc.

See.... I told you right at the start we would help you....

we fly cubs in farmers filed now and  my friend has an IC likee me not flying and same model 40 trainer that is electric converted which he has used but crashed so we still need help andmaybe we should trael to learn at club and use bothe the club and filed close by for various models that suits the environment.

It is good help and to be fair being a busy IT manager I have not had much chance to get onto this site until now and after subscription.

Incidentally the trainer i have is built for IC but I also have an speed controller a motor and a 6 cell battery waiting for a plane so maybe I should have IC for club and like you say a simpler electric thast is dsafe for field as the fielkd we use is so big you cannot see from one end to the other so electric should be safer where I would not trust a crashed IC not to burn the filed!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Rob

Two points:

1. I went on the BMFA website and found that there are 21 clubs in Hampshire which fly fixed wing R/C models. They can't all be full. If you go to the BMFA website you will be able to identify those clubs which are within reasonable travelling distance from you and get their contact details. I'd try a phone call if I were you, it's much more direct than emails.

2. I see you've fitted a 40 to your Ripmax 30 trainer. This is a bad move in my opinion. The combination will make the model too fast for most people to learn on. Before anybody says, "You've got a throttle," meaning that you can slow the propeller down and reduce speed, you'll also have at least 4 ounces of extra weight in the nose which will take the wing loading and flying speed up.

As an experiment I tried weighing three of my engines, (sad I know.) My Irvine 40 weighs 13 ounces, my Enya 29 and Irvine 25, which would certainly power your model, each weigh 9 ozs. (All measurements taken without silencers attached.) Doesn't sound much but on a four foot trainer that's quite a difference.

If I were you I'd either buy a 40 sized trainer for the engine or put a smaller engine into your trainer. Just Engines are selling the ASP 25, 28, and 32 two stroke engines for £39, £41 and £42 each.

Best of Luck. Let us know how you get on in th eNew Year.

David 

Club wise we are trying the bishops waltham and thorney island one.

I now have insuramjce and bmfa membership and have emailed David regaring the engine advice.

I may post what electric engine I have and esc and battery as I may convert trainer 30 to electric and put enya 40 min a 40 trainer as advised.

thanks a lot people and sorry so long in  getting back but I am grateful.

• 3 weeks later...