Larger electric model buying?

Simon B

I'm looking at getting something larger to fly, probably around the 1.5 - 1.8m span and ideally utilising no more than 4 cell lipos.  Currently my main weapons are a Nigel Hawes Whizzza, powered by a 350w BRC motor, 3s lipo and 40a ESC and a E-Flite Mini Pulse XT with a 220w motor, 30a ESC and 3s lipos. 

I guess my flying's at the lower end of intermediate and i can do rolls, loops, a little inverted flying, fast low passes, so i guess i'd like something to do aerobatics, but not 3d.

Any suggestions?

Advert

Simon,

I don't think you will get something of that size flying well on only 4 cells. My Extreme Flight Vanquish is only just over 1.2m and is built incredibly light. This flies well on 4 cells.

There are people on here with far more experience than myself with electric models (I've never gone larger than 4 cells, except for my heli's), but I'm sure for models of that size you are going to be looking at 6 cells minimum.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon, if you are looking for something around the 100w per 1lb mark, and 4s is as high ideally as you want to go in terms of cell count then you are ideally looking for somethng up to around 6-6.5lbs in terms of AUW, as this is as high practically as you would really want to go on 4s, 4s in simple terms is generally .40 size IC models [before anybody jumps on me...I'm talking broadly here!] so both electric models and IC models are a choice for you, and many on offere these days have accomodation for both.

No worries, I tend to fly models which are a bit over powered so not really had much experience of anything else. Just goes to show what can be achieved with the right set up, I would have thought you would need more cells and capacity to get that sort of flight time on a model like the Wot Trainer, obviously not

Cheers,

Simon

Hi, I recommend the Sebart Shark, it is a low wong trainer, wingspan 1570mm, weight 1700g, engine Hacker A30 14l or similar, works with 3 cells 2500 to 3500 mAh.

The plane is an acrobatic traner with a special wing design.  

Personally I did not fly it, but I have extremly positive experience with the Sukhoi 29 30e from the same company  (1300mm wingspan, low wing acro/3d). These machines are extremely accurate in flying. Maiden flight: practically nothing to trimm.  Design Italian, manufactured China. Build quality: Best ARTF I ever had. Same with my sons Angel 50. (the Angel50 is too big for you as it alredy uses a 6S lipo pack)   

Greetings from rainy Italy.  VA

P.S.: Have a look at this website for more info. http://www.sebart.it/

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 23/12/2009 10:26:22

Hi Simon,
If you'd like to have a go at building a traditional kit why not have
a look at a Galaxy Scorpion?
It's a 56" span model designed for 40 - 52 size 2 strokes but is easily
converted to electric power - here's a cheeky pic of mine!

It weighs just over 5 pounds & houses an Emax 2832 from
Giantcod with a 4s 3700 Lipo giving around 125 W/lb.
Very easy & enjoyable kit to build, why not have a crack?!

Cheers
Richard