Harmon Rocket 111 by Seagull

Advert

I feel this appears to be some sort of criticism of my unique way of flying,landing at the top of trees is no mean task I can assure you,Ive tried on several occassions and normally finish in the middle less wings engine prop under carriage and a modified fuselage.Thanks Ken at least I have one mate

• 2 months later...
Roger Bird won the Harmon Rocket,pah,Congratulations Roger it lasted me longer than any other model and youll find it a joy.try as I might I couldnt get the U/C to come off a feat Im quite good at .I would recommend some triangles by the wing fixing plate.Over time mine became weak there but with the use it had it was entitled to.If you get half the pleasure that I did from mine you wil be more than satisfiedI will have to go back to E bay to see if one turns up.

Stephen
Sincere commiserations -I've nearly run out of Kleenex's reading your heart rendering story for the first time . It's a cruel world -there is no justice .HOWEVER I might be able to help . I'm in the fortunate position to offer you more opportunities to keep practising landing in trees in which you are well versed and for that matter one of the most self appointed accomplished experts.Even though you are at the "top of your tree" in this or that field.
,I feel that even you must keep at it or someone lesser deserving might claim to be better .
To that end,I'm offering you the chance to continue your undoubted particular skill up here.There are many trees on our land ,some ideal for amateurs it must be said ,but for you and you only ,we have inaccessible groups of them .Now that is not only a challenge (even for you) but it would be something to watch that I could learn from .As yet I have not attempted a tree top landing ,only a fence,stone wall or similar,but would love to watch and learn a new technique.as the facilities are all here. I do have at my disposal several long ladders for hire and for a small fee for each one (the mere cost of a new aeroplane maybe) there would be no worries on your behalf.
Myron YO 13 genuine help dept

Trust him not, Stephen - Myron speaks with forked tongue!

When you arrive you will find he has no ladder - only a chainsaw.........

For a small fee (plus a slightly larger fee for chainsaw protection gear + 2T fuel) he will allow you to cut down the grove of trees he will encourage you to fly all your models towards........

You will indeed recover your models (in various states of destruction) but, more importantly, he will have his log supply for several years, without lifting a finger..........

Come to think of it, I must try that myself when Terry Walters next comes visiting - he's already cost me some English ale and Roses Chocolates when one of his models went walkabout last year and was returned by the farmer from the next valley...........

Pete

Thankyou for the offer Myron but there are plenty of trees where I fly and I should know Ive managed to land in lots of them as have many long standing club members.Im not to good on ladders favouring keeping my feet on the ground and usin a long pole the club thoughtfully provide.Sometimes in helping others and watching a collection of old farts discussing various angles of attack you see a model that has landed high up in a tree seemingly undamaged slowly get destroyed as the out of control pole crashes into it with three club members all not controlling it successfully.I stand back and watch one of the better episodes of last of the summer wine unfold in front of me.

• 1 month later...
Just bought one of these through TJD models, They have now changed it to include elevator and rudder push rods preinstalled instead of rear servos, they also supply a motor mount for electric conversion, slots in control surfaces for fibreglass horns.
I'm doing an electric conversion using a Turnigy 4250 650KV motor, 15 x 10 apce prop, 6 off A123 cells (same setup as my artf wot 4). I also have a spare undercarriage from a previous rocket which I am fitting skis to so I can fly off the snow when it arrives

When I put the model together and venture out to make it stay in the air for more than a few minutes I will make sure there are no trees within several hundred yards of me. I will take on board what you say about the wing fixing plate.

Using two servo's for the elevator seems a bit extreme, I may well use a some heavy gauge wire to link them up. Or something similar I think. Anyway, I will post when I get to grips with it.

I feel really guilty winning it now Stephen.

No you deserve the treat Roger, The wing fixing lasted ages as did the under carriage,I found the model totally reliable and loved everything about it.It is a lovely looking model.I know where there is one and if I sell a car with good profit will try and but it.You enjoy yours Roger,look forward to hear how its going

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Stephen hope you are doing some flying. The kit I received is identical to your own, judging by the photo's at the beginning of this post. The canopy is fixed and the wings attach via bolts on the bottom of the fuselage.

With regard to the wing fixing mod you made; did you place the triangles between the bearing plate and fuselage at the T/E end of the plate. It does look a little insubstantial in that area. As far as the U/C goes it looks quite meaty, I can't bend it, even giving it a bit of welly. I am a 7 stone weakling with a 4 stone belly mind you. I also didn't get any turkey gravy runs and bits of mince pie with mine.

Apparently the early models had a U/C that bent quite easily during a heavy landing. Don't know if that applied to landing in trees or not.

There does to have been a spate of problems with the very early ones but Seagull must have listened to the comments and done something about them as they seem to have a happy bunch of HR3 pilot's these days.

Hi Roger,Ive a feeling they have modified it compared to mine.I think they have widened it to make the full join at the back,so should be fine,keep us posted on the progress.The latest Harmon Rocket is completely different in design.I was so happy with mine,I would prefer to keep with your model I think