Glider events 2010

Advert

Yes we were blessed with great weather too - I am sunburnt - not a hint of any rain all day.
Nice collection of models ( thanks for the go on the big white beasty - shes a real smoothy and has to be the bargain of the day ) and Simon B52 wowed the crowds again I reckon.
Next PSSA event is 2nd and 3rd October so not long to wait
Hope you make it down to the aerotow tomorrow, and dont worry I have emailed Steve about the Mossie
Im well chuffed with my latest acquisition for the slope, and hope to be throwing it off the big rock again early next week.

I'm sunburnt too!!!  
Another great days flying on the Orme! - thanks to all that attended despite a dodgy forecast with risk of no flying at all if the wind went any more to the East - as it was we were able to fly PSS throughout the day - we found the best flying to be had from the lower field and out over the Cafe with big lift at times, and although this split the group up a little, with some flyers remaining on top by the car park, we managed the peg board well with no incident - so again - many thanks!

Approx 15 flyers with well over 25 models in total, the majority of them flown at some point - Ill put up more photos and a write up soon, but for now heres a taster - check out those blue skies!!!!!  Wonderful!

The next PSSA event on the Orme is 2nd/3rd October as Timbo stated, we are already expecting a bigger turnout for this one so fingers crossed for the weather. 

As this summer sees the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain we are also running a BoB PSS theme - so please bring with you any PSS Spit, Hurricane or Messerschmit you can lay your hands on - lets see if we can put on a bit of a mass flight demo to honour 'The Few'

thanks guys - many more to follow once I've finished a short write up... will post here and on the PSSA site as soon as poss.

Won't be long till the next one iawnski - sorry not to see you up there yesterday tho.

Formal request has gone out for PSS Spits and Hurricanes and Me-109s to be readied for the PSSA Battle of Britain tribute too, 2nd and 3rd October, on the Orme - see link...

...should be good fun for the cameras    - so long as we all circuit the same way it should be quite safe too - lets see if we can get 20+ models in the air at once!

• 1 month later...
Just a reminder that the last UK PSSA event of 2010 is this weekend at the Great Orme.
Forecast is not great at the moment ( speed and weather is great, but we all need to pray it swings westerly ).
A little birdy tells me that Simon Cocker is planning to bring his huge Antonov ( Guinness world record holder for largest ever RC glider ) so should be worth seeing!

No doubt the keen members will turn up and fly something no matter what the weather does, so get your warm clothes ready and head on over there ( Sat and Sunday )

Forgive a few silly questions from a US based pilot, but your are  the UK PSSA events contests or fun fly events?  

If it is a contest, what sort of tasks do you fly?

Are there multiple classes?

How many pilots do you typically get at one of these events?

Edited By Ed Anderson on 29/09/2010 13:00:11

Well unless the weather looks MUCH better, I doubt that I will be attending as both my PSSA models need much stronger conditions to fly well!!  

My time would "unfortunatley" have to be put to other uses such as tiling brother in laws bathroom!!!!    

Still I may pop down on the sunday to say hello!!   Here's praying for MUCH BETTER WEATHER!!!

Dave.

Edited By David Gilder on 29/09/2010 21:43:37

Ed - The PSSA meets are very low key and the main objective is to simply get like minded Power Scale Soarers together and enjoy the models, the flying, and the chit chat.
No competition, but the organizer usually awards a simple prize for the best model in a few categories....
 As iawnski says....its all about having fun, but thats not to say that there arent some truly magnificent models on show.
Current weather forecast is actually very good David -  we have sussed a great spot to fly in a southerly, and a sea level wind speed of 14 MPH will be at least 20+ up top, so absolutely great for PSS models. Dry and sunny too

Dont know which weather forcast you've seen but BBC saying rain all weekend but reasonable wind and Metcheck saying light winds but dry!!!

Think i'll see what they say on Friday before making a decision. will be a long jorney each day as wont be staying nearby as its actually cheaper to drive each day!!

Hope to see you all soon!!

Just done a reccy on the planned south slope - but despite the forecast ( 10mph south )  when I got there it was SW at around 2MPH, so couldnt really fly it - even the Alula didnt want to play.
However - it does seem to be promising - maybe not quite bang on south but the shape of the bowl should provide good lift in a southerly and there is a large landing zone too.
Approx 10 -15 minute walk from the normal car park  - up the large grass bank at the left of the normal slope face.
So those who are coming - if when you arrive there are cars but no flyers...you know where we are.

This is looking due South towards Conwy from the flying area.

Here's the landing zone - plenty big enough for most
 And here's the the slope and flying area as viewed back and behind from the marine drive on the way out.

Posted by David Gilder on 30/09/2010 15:51:27:
Tim,  

A lovely idea for "live" report but as I would be setting off at around 0730 to be there in good time (and before the toll opens!!), I think it might be a little early for everyone!! 

Very much looking forward to the AN225. That really is a beast!!!

Dave

Your'e welcome to call me at home around then if it helps.
PM me if you want my number.

Incidentally, if you take the alternative tram line route up the orme, and simply turn right after the tram halfway station - there is no toll to pay at any time. This then brings you down on to the main marine drive, but well after the toll house, but before the cafe.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 30/09/2010 19:05:56