Ultra micro 4-site

• 4 weeks later...
I have only flown the micro 4-site outdoors in light winds. It is very responsive on the "intermittent" dual rate and expo as per the manual.

I did notice on several occasions that when turned into the wind it would hard over dive. On examination the top wing had pulled away from the fuselage. glued together and the next flight the same thing happened

A big word of caution. Do not let any CA run onto the servos as they are open structures and will be destroyed with the glue. The gears will bond together.

Posted by Stan Molin on 18/05/2010 16:53:27:
I have only flown the micro 4-site outdoors in light winds. It is very responsive on the "intermittent" dual rate and expo as per the manual.

I did notice on several occasions that when turned into the wind it would hard over dive. On examination the top wing had pulled away from the fuselage. glued together and the next flight the same thing happened

A big word of caution. Do not let any CA run onto the servos as they are open structures and will be destroyed with the glue. The gears will bond together.

fly indoors  thats where the 4-site is in its element. 

I cancelled the order for my 4-Site, as STILL waiting and now have seen far too many fall apart at the top wing to be good. (and the Indoor season is as good as finished)

Have ordered a Windrider Hurricane instead.................48" moulded EPO with retracts, not QUITE the same thing............................. 

• 6 months later...
i think my 4-site is getting past its best. as in i think i have probably repaired everything on it at least once

i've noticed you can't get replacement airframe only and don't really want to buy all the gear again. anyone put their 4-site gear in anything similar (would prefer a monoplane kind of) thats commercially available or that i could get plans for? or any suggestions for a 3D model to put the gear in thats as good as if not better than the 4-site indoors?

looks good but not too keen on the yak 55 and i haven't milled anything yet so if i can't find anything i'm kind of tempted to design my own as well. i quite like the shape of the various sebachs around so if i can get my hands on some 1mm depron i might have a go. could even dismantle my 4-site and copy out the shapes. got all the hardware its just the foam that pretty much all needs re doing now. wow i could even have one that isn't red and yellow

Jonathan,

A clubmate has just started flying an unmilled version and it flies just as well to be fair. Ive got a 2mm one to try this week as well.

My Yaks use all the gear from the 4-site right down to the horns and pushrods only extra is a strip of flat cabon on the LE to save messing with any bracing.

We are also working on an edge and an extra of the same scale

BB

might be interested in an edge or extra  will you have plans for them when they're finished that you could send?

looked on robotbirds and they don't seem to have anything that fits the bill exactly for size.

tempted to try an OD though, the gear is easily transferable. designed one standard size shocky, not the most sucessful, but i've learnt a lot from it and now i think i could do a decent job

seen the 4-site pnp for just £45 which is nothing really so tempted to get a direct replacement and have a go at an OD as well for the radio gear off my 1st one. i'm sure i can find some 1mm and/or 2mm depron and have some carbon so i think that'll be my project over christmas  I'll probably copy out the 4-site shapes from the old depron of the 1st one so i can build my own as i really like the 4-site it flies really well

• 3 weeks later...

4 site #2 has arrived  only instead of it saying 'ultra micro' on the top wing it says 'ultr micro' so they're not exactly identical! #1 has been repaired and is still flyable till a replacement airframe has been designed and built. i haven't been able to get any suitable depron yet. #1 will be of use till then as my dad has also made an ultra micro purchase recently:

it will be interesting to see how it goes. i've flown the original sukhoi and it was ok, better inverted than right way up, but faster than the 4-site and less capable i felt. hopefully this improved version will be a lot better. dad will be using 4-site #1 for some practice flights before flying the sukhoi.

and finally the whole aerobatic ultra micro fleet: