Ultra micro 4-site

I phoned Al's on the 21st and they were in stock (on the shelf), I ordered a BnF and it arrived next morning at 9:30. I also got a Spekky DX6i as all my gear is Futaba.
Just got to work out how to bind it and set it up before the clubs first indoor session in 2 days!

Andy, very easy, just switch on the plane wait till it starts blinking and switch on Tx with trainer switch held (puts Tx in Bind mode), wait till LED goes solid and job done.

Don't do this in the hall where there are lots of other Tx's on or it might struggle.

Once it's bound always switch the Tx on before the plugging in battery in the plane.

The way these small Rx's work is that they look for the Tx if they don't find it they go into bind mode.

Mine arrived today with 4 extra batteries. Should be a good fly-in tomorrow night Andy, maybe 4 in the air at once, some good formation flying ;o)

It looks a lot tougher than other micro's I've had, and much more rigid than a EPP micro I had last year. Bound no problem on the DX7. It is quite noisey though, much noisier than the vapor, more like the noise level of the small MSR heli. Covering seems solid and adds strength, not wobbky like the previous EPP micro I had. Good colour scheme too with black lined underwing for enhanced visability.

As for control throws, all seem smooth and solid with what looks like carbon fibre control rods making all controls solid and couldn't see any play in them so 3d should be fine and solid. Seems plenty of power then holding it up, about 3/4 throttle and it wants to pull verticle. Lots to torque from the little motor so torque rolls should be fun.

Not measured the CofG yet but the manual says 40mm from the leading edge, anyone found any different?
Over all very impressed, will fly tomorrow night. Best have a go on the Phoenix sim tonight to practice of the bigger 4site model.

Oh, and the addition of the mains charger that can charge 4 batteries at once is a great reason for buying the BNF.

Edited By Boos Boy on 26/01/2010 20:42:06

Edited By Boos Boy on 26/01/2010 20:45:41

Posted by Barnesyboy on 20/01/2010 10:52:29
P.S Im sure Rich will love being compared to the stig

Nah...Rich is more like Clarkson

Blimey, You know how to insult someone........................

The last couple of Indoors, the woods were full of them...and very well they went.

S'on my burfday list....................but it won't be left the same colour as the herd, I like to know which one's mine...............

We flew in a small sporthall and all was fine, but keeps you alert. CogG is essential and needs adjusting to suite your needs. I set mine up with 30% expo on high rates as per manual, but soon took the expo off as found it a little sluggish on the controls. Now it flies great

See a few last night at our clubs indoor session. 6 in fact they flew really well but WAY to fragile for what they are. one guy broke his getting it out of the box!
but the BNF costs £85 and the PNP costs £70 ( Roughly) but the RX board and the 2 micro servos  cost about £75 with no motor so if you want the gear for your own build then buy one on these!!!

They are definatly not models for beginners and as has already been said, you need experience to fly them. As for beig fragile, yes they are light but I say some flown into walls, bastet ball nets (3 points!!!!) and rolling down school climbing equipment, picked up and flown again. It depends how they crash!!!! A little bit of foam safe glue and activator normally gets them back in the air again. I also saw one where the servo broke, reason for release the sticks and cut the throttle as it says in the manual.

However, a great model and just what I've been waiting for.

my opinion was there to tough, after flying/building compition F3P models i can see loads of places to save more weight,  The very nature of these light models is they are fragile, if they were built to tuff they would weigh twice the weight and tus not fly as well

The key is to get off the power as soon as your in trouble and it will just glide down

BB

flew my 4-site today  loving it so far. the most noticeable thing is that the servos are a lot slower than conventional ones. you don't notice this so much on an ember, but flying aeros - its different.

less stable in the prop hang and harrier than i expected so the CG will have to go back a bit  beeeaaautiful in inverted harrier though

rolling maneouvres were good, but will need some practice to master. However, good for a first flight. Easy to take off and land.

I'd only recommend this model to advanced pilots though as eflite suggest as it isn't as friendly as a clik. more wobbly, faster, but i love its maneouvreability and it will snap and roll a lot more quickly than a clik.

went indoor flying again today. had a properly good fly unlike my testing on the 1/2. could not stop flying this utterly brilliant little model cannot praise it enough although there's not much point in having one unless you're happy flying rolling circuits really, really close to the floor. if you can - get one. i challenge you to have more fun than me flying yours

moved the CG back more now so its more stable in high alpha

Just finished my first major repair session - blenderm was made for this plane!  Perhaps EFlite should include a roll of blenderm as the thin material the 4Site is made from does seem to tear easily, especially where the fuse attaches to the upper and lower wings.

A bit of blenderm and it's right as rain, hopefully the few hundred milligrams  I've added won't impair performance!

• 1 month later...
not a bad review David, although i've been moving the lipo the other way since the 1st flight to improve the prop hanging performance. mine seems to fall out of it a bit and i have to really fight it. torque rolls are out of the question at the moment.

you're absolutely right about it being a full out 3D ship . it soooo is  hee hee . about 4-5 people in our club have them and i (i'm going to forget modesty here ) fly it best, followed by a pattern flyer who doesn't seem interested/doesn't have the reflexes to fly 3D, followed by those who are too scared to fly aerobatics.

i've not flown mine with airbrakes, but see no reason to fit them - i'm achieving 2 turn inverted spins indoors .

the thing this model does best is rolling circuits; if you can't fly them, get practising as soon as possible and see how low you can fly your rolling maneouvres

really glad i got my 4-site - shame the indoor season's nearly over in some ways

Hello Here's a video of my Micro 4-site http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJrTrzjuPFs at the time of making this video the motor was faulty so was not possible to prop hang and some of the loops had to be shortend. HH has now replaced my model and with the new 180mah batteries she prop hangs lovely.
                                                 I love this model.
                                                                           Kevin..

very nicely flown kevin, have you tried snap rolls - i didn't see any in the flight? spins (about 2 turn max) are also possible with enough height. I've also got some 180s now (miniaviation) and they unlock perhaps 30-40% more power, particularly at the beginning of the flight .

btw, loved your variation on the stall turn with the vertical rather than sideways stall

Hello Jonathan
     I have tried the snap solls and she does then very well, i like the 1 1/2 snap roll. looks really nice. Our hall isn't high enough for a spin, i have tried but as soon as it enters the spin its yank time to stop it hitting the floor. The 180 mah are the way to go in this model, prop hangs great and pulls out well too.
                                                                   Cheers
                                                                              Kevin.