Setting up a Hangar 9 Pulse 40 for Electric

Simon B

I want something larger, as i find i get disorientated more easily at height, yet want the height to keep me further away from crashing possibilities, hence thinking about the Pulse...If anyone has any better suggestions then i'm open to ideas.  Definitely looking at .40 sized, but with the ability to convert to electric.

Posted by Simon B on 30/12/2009 14:28:33:
I want something larger, as i find i get disorientated more easily at height, yet want the height to keep me further away from crashing possibilities, hence thinking about the Pulse...If anyone has any better suggestions then i'm open to ideas.  Definitely looking at .40 sized, but with the ability to convert to electric.
 you don't need to be scared of the ground. as a 3D pilot, i don't fear the ground - it is a canvas for artistry .

I'd say spend more time flying the mini pulse. There's no need to move on from it yet as you clearly haven't mastered it unless, of course, you're really uncomfortable about flying it.

The power 46 is 800W so any motor that produces 800W would be fine. Probably a bit less you be fine as Eflite have a tendency to overpower their bigger electric models hence my inital 600-700W thoughts.

I have a real thing about foam.  Everytime i've bought a foam model i've invariably got fed up of the inability to repair them more than a few times before they're unusable.  I've had:

Hobbyzone Super Cub (Ok for a beginner, but way too expensive for what it is - Beginners would be better off with something else in many respects)
E-Flite P-40 Warhawk (tricky to fly, but was really fun - Would have another.   Decent foam)
GWS Formosa (Great flier, but lasted hardly any time - now have a Nigel Hawes Whizza, which has all the flying characteristics, but doesn't fall apart!)
GWS E-Starter (horrible, just horrible.  Nasty flying characteristics)

Loved all my Balsa models, as they handled better, could be repaired more and tended to be much better value for money!

Edited By Simon B on 30/12/2009 15:07:32

thats a shame. I've had 3 ikarus shock fliers and all of them could still fly pretty well. They're depron and as they're lightweight can only be used in calm conditions, but EPP models can handle stronger winds and are quite bouncy. I'm building a maniac at the moment from the foamie dave free plan, but his bigger edge looks quite good and should be pretty crash proof too.

The problem with all your foamies so far is that they've been moulded and hence not easily repairable. When i crashed my shockies (or my dad crashed them - this happens a lot more often) i just cut out the section of damaged depron sheet and replaced it with a new bit. Back in the air, there's no difference. GWS models are built out of pretty poor expanded polystyrene and don't last long.

Consider a 3D trainer: they give you a lot of confidence, can be repaired easily (if made of sheet foam) and are usually really easy to fly. However, they're usually best for calm conditions so thats why you were considering the pulse.

I don't know how well the pulse flies inverted, but i can imagine not very well with all the dihedral. Something like the hyperion 25e helios or sebart angel 30e would be good for all weather, run on sensible size electric components and, therefore, aren't too expensive.  

I fly the Mini Pulse  and the Pulse XT 40 both on electric and I must disagree with Jonathan, they are as much alike as chalk and cheese. They may look the same but that is where the likeness ends. The 40 does not need 5-6s lipos, 4s 4300 are perfectly ok and with this the take off can be at 3/4 power. My 40 is as fast as most ic powered aircraft at my club and flys like a dream. Very rare I use full power unless going vertical till its a dot. Had over 100 flights from both and cant rate them  high enough they are superb
Garry

Posted by Garry Pollard on 30/12/2009 20:34:38:
I fly the Mini Pulse  and the Pulse XT 40 both on electric and I must disagree with Jonathan, they are as much alike as chalk and cheese. They may look the same but that is where the likeness ends. The 40 does not need 5-6s lipos, 4s 4300 are perfectly ok and with this the take off can be at 3/4 power. My 40 is as fast as most ic powered aircraft at my club and flys like a dream. Very rare I use full power unless going vertical till its a dot. Had over 100 flights from both and cant rate them  high enough they are superb

ok, so you've told me i'm wrong and then not said why both models have exactly the same remit, even if they fly differently.
I suggested 5-6s lipos as a preliminary thought as thats how i'm considering converting my similar size H9 FuntanaX 50. Clearly, the 4s is the right pack for this particular aircraft.

Jonathan
I didnt say you were wrong, my comment was " I disagreed with you" and I then went on to say that the models didnt fly the same or that the 40 needed 5 to 6s lipos, so if you feel I am telling you that you are wrong those are the two things you are wrong about. Simon could have spent an awful lot more money than he will now have to do had he taken notice of what you said. It always helps if you have had first hand experiance of what you are talking about as I have in this instance
Garry

Garry, would a 4s 2800mah be satisfactory for this model?  There's a company in HK i use a lot that have some at a good price.  I'll be using this 800 - 900w motor:

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&action=additem&item=671

and this 100A ESC:

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&action=additem&item=846

The HK batteries are Mystery brand and i've been using their 3S lipos in my models up to now.

I think you would be struggling with duration with a 2800mah. The smallest mah lipo I have used is 4000 mah and that gives a good 8 to 10 mins mixed flying. I get these from Giant Cod at £34 ish. These are the Loong lipos and are 5c rated. Timbo might be able to shed some technical advise on the 2800mah if he is on. He usually points me in the right direction
Garry

Well only in so much as what has already been hinted at .
2.8A capacity on a 4s battery propped to give 800 watts will not last long at all - the current draw at WOT will be approx 57A which is very high TBH.
Even allowing for unloading in flight, expect around 45 - 50A  so your 2.8Ahr battery will last about 3.5minutes, and will be working at 18C.

simon, take a look at the turnigy lipos from www.hobbyking.com there's plenty of sizes to choose from and they're dirt cheap.

cell count doesn't matter aslong as the power output is the same. arguably, 5-6s is more efficient than 4s as less amps are drawn. you can even save money on a cheaper, less amps ESC and it will weigh less too. I don't think simon would have wasted any money at all on my suggested setup, indeed he could have used the higher number of cells pack on a much better 50e electric size model. of course i don't know what the models fly like, but they are designed to do the same thing so i could rightfully question why simon was buying the same model twice

As hobbyking dont seem to have any stock it is not much point in ordering from them. I agree GC are often out of stock but will let you know when stock is in. You say "of course I dont know what the models fly like, but they are designed to do the same thing", this I think applies to all model aircraft, they are designed to fly, as all cars are designed to drive, so there is no difference between a Lada and a Jag. Simon is NOT buying the same model twice, and as you say you dont know what the models fly like I fail to understand why you entered the discussion
Garry

of course all models are designed to fly, but they are designed to do different things. Thermal soarer, 3D aerobat, trainer, dynamic soarer, scale model. Even 4D models! There's so many different types of flying out there that you can enjoy with models that can fly one way but not another. When was the last time you tried a rolling circuit with a trainer or helped a novice learn to fly on a spitfire. You may not have noticed it, but there is a huge diversity in model flying as a sport and it seems pointless to have 2 models that are designed to do the same thing - be a sport aerobat desinged to fly basic aerobatics and give a trainer graduate an easy step up.

Clearly, simon is trying to improve his flying and is comfortable flying the mini pulse so it seems a good idea to progress to the next stage, hence the suggestion of a 30e size aerobat which will fly 'the line' much better than a pulse (i've flown the pulse 60 - i know how they fly). If you don't know what 'the line' is you're clearly not an aerobatic pilot like myself. Obviously i entered the discussion to try and help simon find a better solution to his requirement for a model that is bigger than his mini pulse and helps him to continue to develop his flying skills.

btw, hobbyking are very quick to replenish their stock. they get so many international orders that their stock levels are constantly changing.  

Edited By Jonathan Lewzey on 31/12/2009 18:17:02

As I have been flying for over 40 yrs and as flying instructer in my last club have taught literally dozens and dozens of people to fly, if I was in Simons position I know who I would turn to for advise. However totally agree with you Simon it is not worth arguing about as for some reason known to himself Jonathan seems to have taken this personally. I withdraw from the discussion before something is said that is regretted afterwards. You know you can  Pm me whenever you like
Garry

Here is a picture of the next model Im going to build Simon.It comes with the choice of IC or Electric and looks as if yuo would have trouble missing it in the sky.Ive opened the box and it looks quite an exciting prospect.If you want any details off the box let me know,in just about to start a thread on putting it together,cheers and a happy new year from Stephen

Posted by Garry Pollard on 31/12/2009 19:15:58:
As I have been flying for over 40 yrs and as flying instructer in my last club have taught literally dozens and dozens of people to fly, if I was in Simons position I know who I would turn to for advise. However totally agree with you Simon it is not worth arguing about as for some reason known to himself Jonathan seems to have taken this personally. I withdraw from the discussion before something is said that is regretted afterwards. You know you can  Pm me whenever you like
Garry

snap, i'm an instructer too .

snap, a lot of people in my club turn to me for advice too .

i was kind of offended in a previous thread and here where you have suggested that i'm not worth listening to because i'm only a junior. a lot of great inventions and ideas have come from young engineers with open minds.

that Cap 232 does look more the ticket although a 30e size model running on 3s electric power will be cheaper and still be plenty big enough to orientate in the sky. 

Edited By Jonathan Lewzey on 01/01/2010 13:21:02