Must-see TV?

RCM&E

I'm interested to know how people feel about the model flying documentary mentioned in the story linked above. It's obviously yet to air, but everything points towards a fairly light-hearted affair. Are people concerned that a show poking a little bit of fun at the hobby is likely to do more harm than good? Or is any coverage a boost? Indeed, does the hobby need a boost, or are you happy with how things are? And how about the Toyota ad mentioned in the same story? Any thoughts?

Advert

Certainly a coup by the GBRCAA PRO but I did wince everytime F3A was described as the most prestigious event in aeromodelling.....
I'm sure the scale lads would have something to say about that. It kind of summed up how good UK pilots are at F3A when you consider Brandon practices little but can still turn up and win with a clean sweep after a long break. Goes to show why our aerobatic lads can't really cut it on the international scene like for instance the control line speed boys.
He summed up just how 'prestigious' it really was by contemplating putting a for sale sign on his model for anyone who could afford to pay the £3K he was asking....rather of course than spending a couple of years drawing the plans, considering the design, overcoming constructional hurdles, making it, and then flying it. It aeromodelling all right but more to do with the wallet.......

Still, I enjoyed it and it was very well made.

Andy

I was pleasantly surprised, although had hoped to see other disciplines than F3A.
I did not say there was anything wrong with us being men playing with toys...in fact I accepted that thats what we are actually.
PS I am one of those grown men who plays with cars as well...another money pit. I have posted some pictures of my other money pit under "NOT planes" :-)

Broadly speaking I was pleasantly surprised at how the program turned out though I have to admit to being a little uncomfortable with the focus being on me and Brandon. There were a lot more people on the GBRCAA line and had hoped they would be given some air time. Also I'd have preferred more flying shots as well; when you fly this stuff you never get the right perspective of your model so seeing it on telly as how it looks to other people is quite nice.

That said the program was based on the competitiveness of people here in the UK undertaking less usual past times than footy and drinking, and the producers were understandably not out to cover the Nats as a whole as it clearly would not fit into a half hour slot.

Anyway as I said I'm pleased with the way the program came over and hope that it persuades at least some model flyers that F3A is worth having a go at. Anyone who saw the program and does want to find out more should go to www.gbrcaa.org.

Keith Jackson