Tony Nijhuis 63" Spit

Has this been the world's slowest build? Probably not, but it sure feels like it...

I'm getting close now. Just finished spraying on the camo' this afternoon. The pics show the underside still masked, but it's all grey underneath...

• 2 months later...
Hi all,

For those who've built and flown the Tony Nijhuis spit, I'd love to know the general consensus on the CoG.

I know I shouldn't question Mr Nijhuis, but did the CoG position marked on the plan work out well for your build?

Almost 3 years to get there, but here it is (with apologies for the dodgy, low-res photo from a phone).

It's all dressed up in semi-scale livery of Australian Ace Clive Caldwell.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the very kind comments Will.

The spinner is actually just a standard 3" Du-Bro plastic one from the hobby shop. I was just lucky that the colour scheme I wanted to replicate used a white spinner and it looks like a pretty good profile to me.

Shaun.

ahhhh, I also bought a plastic one from the local model shop but it is quite short and fat which isnt so scale, but the diffrence is hardly noticeable in the air, I just wanted it for the ground.

I am thinking of a scale prop as well, again just for the ground display.

Let me know on how the flying goes

• 2 weeks later...
All
With regards to the U/C,
I know it has been racked forward to help with the nose tipping over, but are there any other vices due to the narrow width. When I fly the Spit in Phonix Flt Sim I often get a rocking from one main wheel to the other on landing, just wondering if the TN Spit does the same. I havn't brought the plan/pack yet so it not to late back out, but I do need somthing for my Laser 70 and this Spit seems a good way to go.
Regards
HughP

Many say that this model is a real treat to fly and i guess this means that landings are not too challenging. Remeber landing will be faster than your average ARTF or sport model because it is a warbird. I also use Phoenix simulator but am appauled at how the scale aircraft fly! they fly like pigs and is not very good for judging how a real plane will handle, although i suppose if you can fly the warbirds in Phoenix you can fly just about anything!

why not go electric on your model! no more silencers sticking out the cowl! and not much noise! the end result is a nice scale, quite and nice flying aircraft that you dont need to clean after you fly.

Will F
I guess there are plenty of Warbirds with a narrow gait, so I think it's a case of 'go for it'.
The Laser 70 is sitting there just begging to be used.
Phoenix is great but as you say Sims can never really emulate the model.
HughP

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice Spitfires you have got there, guys. Well, I just got my set of plans for the 62.5" Spitfire from Tony Nijhuis and I'm going to build it this winter as a sideproject (I'm currently building a Fokker D VIII in 1/4 scale). 

As I live in Iceland I'm going to order my materials from abroad. Does any of you have a list of the balsa needed to complete the plane? 

Regards from the arctic circle,

Arni H

www.flugmodel.is

www.frettavefur.net/forum

Hi Arni,

I don't have a specific list, but you can never have too much 2, 3, 4, and 6mm Balsa sheet in my opinion.
I recall needing a couple of sheets of 10 and 12 mm as well and a couple of lengths of 3/4" triangle.
A sheet of 3mm light ply will be needed too and some lengths of 6mm sqr and 6mm x 3mm spruce.

Cheers and good luck,

Hugh

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not a reply to any specific post - but a friend of mine in our club built one of these - he did not put retracts in but did modify for flaps -split flaps as per original. I'm not sure what engine - its a 2 stroke and I think its quite an old OS 60. Flies really well.