Spitfire Models

thomas salisbury

if you want a cheap and cheerfull spit, lekky powered, then the ripmax one is brill,   ours is more for the more fastideous flyer, who wants a scale spit, but cannot build one,   but be carefull,  there are spits out there that just do NOT deserve that sacred name on the box,   

mind you,  if you wanted to go mad,  i have just recieved the first piccys of our new MK9 at 88",   DROOL,  

BUT, getting back to the OPs question,    he asks what spit, with no epxeriance of even a simple trainer,       to this i must say,     put your dreams back in the box, and get some stick time,    by the time you are ready for your spit,    many will have come and gone,    bide your time, learn your craft,    and maybe in 12 months???

at shows,  if i had a pound for the times i could have sold one of our warbirds to a novice, i would be well off--and they are out there, beleive me!!!   we just wont,   we have a duty to modellors, and the hobby,     others would sell for selling sake--we wont,   

Advert

I fly the Kyosho Spitfire 90 with an RCV 91CD up front.  Absolutely breathtaking low passes and she flies as if on rails.  The retracts go the correct way and, I am told, the lag in retract speed is about right.  Unfortunately it is right leg drag not left as I am told it should be, but hey, it looks superb and cannot fault the planes flying abilities.

We often have a warbird "scramble" and get 5 or 6 warbirds in the sky and do a simple anti-clockwise pattern.  Nothing fancy, just fly around and strafe the runway.  To see all aircraft over the runway in a reasonable, but safe, formation really is one to get the adrenaline flowing. 

Agree with AlanC 100% re putting these thoughts on the back burner for now.  Get your trainer (presumably high wing) and another low wing (preferably tail dragger) under your belt and you will then get the enjoyment that flying a Spitfire brings.  Good luck and welcome to a great hobby.

• 2 weeks later...
i allways promised myself a spit one day but i was adamant that if i was going to have one, it would be a proper one not these glossy artf versions,  so this year i took the plunge and ordered myself the Db spitfire, i now have the engine and the retracts for it and as i type the plan is laid out ready to start cutting balsa!!!  sorry but for me if its a spit it has to be a real good one !!!  look out for my pics i will post my progress as i go !!

tally ho !!!!

PLEASE do not associate our Spitfire with the glossy versions,       the DB one flys superb,  make sure you use the swingee hidden horns, on the ailerons,      and,, just a word of warning, keep the back end LIGHT!!!    somewhere, for this model, i have a MK9    conversion kits,  longer cowl, spinner, air intake,      i may yet sell it on,        reason for thinking of selling??      i have pictures of our new 88"span MK9, all matt camoed (just like all our planes, where suitable, and all painted)      its rather nice, (understaement!) first batch sold even before the factory shipped them!!!    

Posted by Tim Hooper on 05/01/2010 21:22:12:
I know the market for model Spitfires is huge (in aeromodelling terms, that is), but I think it's their very ubiquitous popularity that turns me off them!

Same with Hurricanes, Lancasters (even though my Dad did 44 missions in them) and Cubs.....

Give me something out of the ordinary please!

tim (already running in a zig-zag pattern)

Hi Tim, I'd love to know more about your Dad and his 44 missions, perhaps you could start another thread on it?

just in responce to the gaffers PM,     i do indeed represent YT,    have done since my son flew in the team,     sorry if anyone was not aware of this,      did not mean to mislead,       felt a tad nervy about actually mentioning YT,  tread on foot sort of thing,    BUT, the gaffers given it his blessing, and thanks LOADS,      we have lots and lots of SUPERB aircraft,        not the cheapest, but deffo the best --and lots more coming!!!

Alan, I am slowly wading through the RCMF thread (68 pages) on the YT Spit and have noted there were a few early teething problems. I assume there have been further iterations of this model and now they are all ironed out?

Is the latest version of the 1.20 sized aircraft composite?

Is it still a good performer on a 1.20 4st?

its on its third version,    differeneces are slight,  but for the better,    paint job, wheel location, internal elevator hon, with supplied closed loop,   move from polyester to composite fuselage, with airex stiffeners,   ( much more rigid)  so yes,  its well sorted,   we even do a nice set of resin scale exhausts, made locally, for another £35,        spinners can be sorurced from traplet,      we do do one, but the MK14 is more like the mustang,    future plans are for scale spinners,    but for some reason, the factory always shyes away from scale embelishments,    many builders use our models as a canvas, and really bring them to life,          all we have learned on the MK14 has gone into the new MK9, at 88",     cant WAIT to get mine!!!

oops, soory,  the composite thing,     only the fuselage,       we really like the composite wings etc,  but the company just could not lay down enough kits,  proudction dropped dramatically,     so a return to built up wings allowed the Mk14 to have another run,   we had the molds in place,  they just wanted a fettling, to bring in the new kit changes, and it was born again!!   120 upwards will power the spit well,