Black Horse Twister

I am looking for a cheapish plane to learn aerobatics with and have a spare OS40 LA sitting around. I quite like the look of the Black Horse Twister and having read about it they state that it is ideal for a 40 2stroke. Is there any one out there who has flown one of these and if so could you please let me know if i would be doing the right thing in purchasing one of these and what the characteristics of the model are like. I used a Ready 2 as a trainer and i now use a Jupiter (but not that well).

I look forward to any help that may be given.
Thankyou.

Advert

Colin, we reviewed one of these a few years ago (three or four) and, from what I can remember, it was a good aeroplane. In case you're not aware, the design is practically identical to the Precedent Fun-Fly which was a very popular kit about 5 or 10 years ago. I had one and was very pleased with it indeed. I haven't personally flown a Twister but if it's anything like the Fun-Fly then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I seem to remember the Fun-Fly being a superb follow-on trainer and a very confidence-inspiring aerobatic trainer.

It's funny you should mention the Twister because we bumped into Ian Hull (Precedent) at the Cosford show and noticed that he was still kitting the old Fun-Fly. As a result we're going to publish a retro review of the kit. Should be interesting... In fact I'm quite tempted by it myself!

Not sure if I've been any help after all that :-)

• 2 weeks later...
I have just installed my first set of Dubro inflatable wheels and these come with a small brass valve unit for inflation. When screwed into the wheel there is a 3mm dia pipe protuding about 5mm which has a plain surface ----------------- for connection to what? Anyone have any experience of these wheels and more importantly how to get air into them.

Colin, I have one of these models and I can echo the nasa comment about lack of glue. The fus is made from a very flexible wood, not balsa, over ply formers and there are no longerons. So all the strength is reliant on the junction between the two and glue is not greatly in evidence. If you buy one my advice is to use low settings for the control surfaces initially and to strengthen the area from the back of the wing well to the firewall with corner blockings. You may be luckier than me and produce greaser landings but on my last flight I went deadstick and tipstalled at very low speed from about 2mts up and the entire front collapsed which is how I found out about the structure. Back together again though and weather permitting airborne again tomorrow. rehards, Brian

• 7 months later...
colin i think you would be very pleased if you got one. i was also recommended it but by colin chapman and my dad got me one for christmas 2007. the plane is great i put a os 32sx in it with a spektrum dx7 and have had no problems with the plane apart from yesterday when there was a lot of turbulance, and there was sum just as i was hitting the ground the the whole under carridge came off opps. but the plane performs very well. chris

Hi guys, I am on my second Twister, after 6 months with twister number one( last year), the ground came up from know where! I did buy Twister number 2, I just love it, you can throw it around  on full throttle, and its like a trainer  on half throttle, I have a jen 47 in mine.

My only moan is the same thing happen to me with the under carridge being really weak, and mine ripped out, so pete if i was you, I would  really reinforce the under carridge inside and fual tank area, which ive done with twister number 2.

Andy

Pete.

I did purchase a twister end did find it to be rather week on some of the Joints. This i sorted with just putting extra glue all around the bulk head and the firewall and along by the under carriage mount. The other problem i had with my kit was that the fuel tank would not sit properly in the opening that was made for it but i just had to modify that slightly and sealed it with some clear mastic.

The engine which i put in was a OS max 40 LA and this pulls the plane around with no problem. Fantastic fun to fly but does not like the windy conditions.

Hope this is of some help in your decision.

Happy Flying

Colin

Colin, I bought a Twister many months ago and my son flies it every fortnight. We have had very little trouble apart from the hatch/cockpit came off in flight once but I think the spring loaded catch wasn't engaged properly. The plane flies beautifly and does exactly what the sticks tell it to do. Ours has a 46 Pro Thunder tiger eng in it and it does 100 mph into wind. We tested it with a speed gun twice.. Good luck with yours. It is a really good flier.. Graeme

• 1 month later...

hi all

my friend has had 2 twisters and the first was his first aerobatic model and so being the most expierienced (daring) flyer i was asked to take her up for the first time,

she had a sc40 2stroke installed with the stoke fuel tank and i must say that i dont think the tank is quite big enough,

first flight was a launced flight (our field is not the best of fields to tackoff on) but away she went, hardly any trimming was needed and she was definatley quick, low level Rolls and flicks were a blur and inverted needed hardly any correction. but flight times were about 5-8 minutes depending on throttle usage.

the second flight on to the fith were all roughly the same but with takeoffs instead of hand launch and the the problem became known, on the 6th flight after testing the trottles vertical, my friend placed the model down a knocked the switch to off and the twister hurtled accross the field and into a gate, TOTALED!!!!

the second one he bought is still flying now after about 3 months with no problems and instead of putting the switch under the wing it is on the canopy which is a bit fiddly when setting up but is im my oppinion best,

lastley and sorry for babbling i loved it so much i have gone out and bought one and i havnt HAD to put any glue anywhere although i do own a funtana x50 and from expierience i always strengthen the undercarrage plate. also i have upped the engine size to a 46 2stroke with a larger tank

hope this is helpfull to everyone