GWS TEXAN 39 inch Electric

Stephen Grigg

Had a bit of a search about and  found a BRC Hobbies 20 amp Speed controlle r.Tried that still the same.Motor starts to turns you apply throttle then makes funny noises and stops dead,like if the timing is out.Tried a  program card, still the same.Then I  found another motor with a speed controller. soldered to it.The speed controller was very small  and had damaged plug wiring.Snipped the motor off .Set myself up to solder gold plate bullets onto the motor.First soldering iron wouldnt warm up.Found a second one and I"m off.First connector soldered.Onto the 2nd connector and the iron literally blows up with a big bang(yet to  investigate.) Dimantle the first one and a wire has come off but it all sealed so cant get at it.Find a 3rd soldering iron(didnt know Id got 3) This one is a bit slow.So I warm the bullets on the gas hobb ans complete the soldering.Connect it all together seems OK,check with the other motor less prop ,that seems ok as well.Now I cannot find a prop to fit the second motor,because the first one has a threaded prop shaft,the second has a prop adaptor.Finally I just drill the prop,fit it on and it works fine.So its at last ready for a maiden flight.

Advert

Hi Steven,

I got one of these for Christms and am partway through building it, waiting for esc/motor/radio to arrive. I'm going to fly this with a 10x6 on it as that seems to work well with the p40 I have with a 250watt motor. I'll postion the motor from the firewall when I've go everything else on board.

What cog did you go for and whats the all up weight?

Also interested in what paint you used!

Thanks

nick

Hi Nick  I confess I never weigh my models.The current yellow model  came painted.Be careful with the choice of paint,I wrecked my first GWS model by using the wrong stuff.Look up another recent  thread on painting foamies.I set mine at the recommended C of G,if you need the measurement let me know and Ill look it up

• 2 weeks later...
Am I the only one with this issue?
When I have the cowl in position, I cannot get the battery hatch off. When trying to remove it, it fowls the canopy.

I am considering effectively shortening the hatch so it finishes at the cowl,. The question then is will it be large enough to get the lipo in and out.

I have bought a Zippy 2200 for it, and I am awaiting its arrival. I should have bought two as they were only £9. The Zippy I have is a very tight fit. indeed there will be a need for the body to be relieved.

My CG is a little far forward of the 95mm.

In principal it is ready, that is after the obligatory final photo.

The above is the model yesterday before final painting and gear going in.

• 2 weeks later...
I have completed the model now with all gubbins installed.

The adhesion of Acrylic paint onto the cowl is not great.

The wight has come out at 683g or 24oz, which is over the quoted GWS figure of 22oz. It unfortunately needed 20g of weight in the tail, which you may be able to see in the photo. I cast a little ingot and epoxied in place.

I will do a Watts and rev check tomorrow with a little luck and time.

It is almost certainly the combination of the motor and lipo, An Emax 215 and a Zippy (i think, just got it) at 2200mah.

"0 grams is about 3/4 oz , over approx 2 ft^2, in the region of 3/8 oz ft-^2, do not think that will be noticed, maybe the 14oz ft-^2 will be.

What weight was/is yours?