Reader choice 'Typhoon'

You may remember a couple of months ago the RCM&E readers voted for their favourite model to be turned into a 'free' plan for inclusion into this years RCM&E Special, which apparently is due out September 07.
Well that was the Editors idea...I thought I had a little long!!

Well the news to date is the plan was completed last month, the cnc parts were cut and delivered 2-weeks ago along with a VAC formed cowl, spinner(electric only) and canopy.

I finally began building last Monday evening 8pm....then,tuesday evening, wednesday evening....so on....Saturday evening /sunday morning untill 3am and guess what .
It flew Sunday morning at the Hastings club site.......and what a peach!!!! now that has to be a record for me. Still needs a paint job but it flew with the Solarfilm on!!

Ok so here's the spec.
62" span
7lbs weight
60 4-stroke or electic as I have done AXI4120-14
Retracts- Unitracts spot mech.
All built up fuselage (longerons and rolled balsa)built up wings -in 3 sections, tail, built in two sections and solid balsa fin/rudder...

Need to get some sleep now....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cheers
Tony N
null

Advert

Can modelflying.co.uk add a downloadable Tony Nijhuis.....every shed should have one for those urgent/tricky builds....he'd be useful for seeing to my 7 month old in the wee small hours too!!!!

Tony...those of us who like our sleep salute you!! How do you do it...have you had the "Requires Sleep" gene removed??????

Great job Tony, this is the one I have been waiting for don't think we get the special editions here in Canada??? is there going to be a plan pack and would the RCV 58 fly this bird. Whatever the answer I want one glow or electric, keep up the good work RCM&E and it's contributors get top marks for being one of the best all round mags on the market, covering all the areas of this great hobby.

HI TONY cant wait for it to come out for some reason i seam to spend most of my time building your designs i think up to now i have a f15 spitfire and 109 and zero andf4 i have to say though i was hoping for you to do the b25 mitchel <only because im working on a twin speed 400 one at the moment . keep on designing great models
thanks Duncan

• 1 month later...

Hi Tony,

I am planning ahead and was wondering if a set of Robart 605HD retracts would fit the bill instead of Unitracts. This is purely a cost based decision as Unitracts are quite expensive in Cdn $$$. I was also thinking of using a Robart #121 retractable tailwheel and reversing the wire so it could retract forwards, which I believe is correct.

Your thoughts please.

Thank you,

John

John,

The Unitract retracts I used were the Sport mechanical with custom oleo legs to suit...all for around £50....not sure in Robart can match that!

As for a retracting tail wheel the robart 121 seems a good choice..but keep the operating servos up the nose end to counteract the weight. Being a short nose moment the tail has got be made as light as possible to avoid excessive nose weight

Planing to have some plan packs availiable at the Southern Model Show.. SLEC tent next week

Tony  

Tony,

I have decided to go the Unitracts route and have been in contact with them. They will be sending a set to my hotel in Manchester. Thank you for the pointer there

Is there a chance that I could prepay somehow for the CNC/vac form packs and have them sent to the hotel as well. Please let me know. My home email address is [email protected] 

Best wishes,

John

Hi John,

I will have a limited number of CNC packs/ plans and VAC formed bits ready for next weeks Southern Model Airshow at the Hop Farm in Kent, if you fancy a day out next Saturday or Sunday. How long are you staying for? Failing that posting for me would't be until next week. Alternatively RCM&E will post to Canada once they have formulated the package in the Special.

Tony, The above should answer your question regarding posting...lovely to see Model Airshows are thriving in Canada too.

Tony 

Hi again Tony,

I will be staying in Manchester between 25 Sep - 3 Oct and would like to arrange to purchase a set or two and have them sent to the hotel if possible. I have the Unitracts being sent there already

My email address is [email protected] if you want to email me with purchase details off the site.

For Tony R. Maybe I could pick up a set for you while I'm there? 

Thanks so much.

John