Flair Fokker DVII

Simon UK

Just bought one of these (shouldn't have but did anyway.... guess this hobby is like a drug habbit by the looks of things).

Anyway i need some help in choosing a Lecky motor to fly her. Instead of doing my usual and buying a motor only to find it's not perfect i would like to get a decent motor first time round.

I would also like to run it on A123's either 5 or 6 cells and either 1p or 2p although again i would like this all sorted before i get the model to the building table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Specs are bellow

Specification.
Span 60" (1525 mm)
Engines  .30-.45 2 strokes,    .40-.60 4 strokes
Radio  4 channel
Weight  8 lbs (3.6kg)

Advert

If you go the A123 route, you may want to use 6s2p for a really good flight time - a lot depends on how much nose weight she needs. I built my 6s2p pack "circular" to fit around the cowl, as the model ( camel ) needed a load of nose weight.
If you choose a low Kv motor such as 400 -500 Kv then you can swing a nice large prop slowly...which is right for that type of model IMO. You may even get away with 5s A123 cells if you can keep the weight down.
I have always found this budget motor pretty good for this type of model, but of course, you dont say what your budget is.

Budget as allways is as tight as i can make it Timbo due mainly to other half. The motor in the link looks good to me Timbo, you have used them in the past i take it?

I have a 5s A123 pack sitting here i may try it with the motor and a big prop before buying any more batteries.

On the subject of props, never having built this model or indeed even seen one at the club, i have no idea just how large a prop it can swing i would assume it shouldn't be a problem though.

Thanks for your help

Well as old Benny Hill used to say...I like em big ...... props that is.
Of course you can go too big, and suffer with excess torque roll effect, and of course, you need to mind the ground clearance. Yes I have 2 of those motors ( 400 Kv version ) and so far, been happy. I think 5s and decent prop will give plenty of power....one often finds that 70 - 80 watts perpound on these type of old WW1 birds is plenty.

Not sure how much of a help this is, but I run my Magnatilla off a 5 cell A123 pack. I'll try and find my build/conversion thread and post a link. With the A123 5 cell and have more than enough power. So much so that I mainly just cruise around at half throttle and get a good 12mins off the pack doing so. Throwing her around at a ever non scale full throttle, I get a good 8-9mins. So the flight time are not short, but not fantastically long. But to be honest 10mins of flying one particular model suits me. Plus with the great charge rates of the A123's I can have it charged again ready to go in 20mins!

I'll try and find my thread and see if there is some more detail in that that might be of help.

prop.

Any news on the Fokker? I agree with Timbo 5 or 6S 2P gives a good duration and plenty of ballast which you may need. You don't have to use the duration but sometimes its nice to have two 8 min flights off one pack. Saves carting charging gear over to the field for just a quick session. 2 x 60" wings will easily carry the weight. The extra capacity will also assist the cells in keeping the voltage up under load, as well as reducing the current per pack.

On the WW1 stuff i have electrified I have found that just 4,000 rpm is all that I have needed with a nice large prop  As Timbo says, keep in mind the torque if you open the throttle to abrubtly.

We really should get all these electric Flair models together somewhere this season  

Cheers
Danny

Thanks for the info Pro and Danny, you guys don't realise how mcuh help this forum has been to us Noobs , waiting on delivery of my Fokker danny so no photos for a while, also the above motor mentioned by Timbo is out of stock , plus it's equivalent from GC is also out of stock , so i may have a wait...

On the plus note i just bought a 6s1p A123 pack, so now i have both 5 and 6 cell packs to play with, i would like to just stick with one size if possible, so i may add a cell to the 5s pack at a later date. Which will handily enough also allow me to go 6s2p in planes that can take the weight.

Thanks again guys and anymore suggestions are very welcome.

Hi Simon,
A very similar motor to Timbo's recommendation is available from 4-max
in 'purple' guise.

Flair models are cracking kits to build.
No doubt you'll cheese off a few folk by putting an electric motor in your
DVII but not around here!
You'll get plenty of good advice on this forum.

I have an Atilla which flies nicely on around 65W/lb & cruises around
at half throttle meaning a very low current draw (5 - 10A) & long flights.

Cheers
Richard

Edited By Richard Wood on 27/01/2010 10:34:36

I don't want to burst any bubbles here Richard, but are the PP motors just not rebaged XYH/Turnigy many other chinese names?

They do look uncannily similar, plus the coding is 99% the same.

And if as i suspect these are the same motors, then why would anyone pay twice the price for one? Beyond me....

On a different note, my DVII arrived boy there are a lot of sticks of wood in that wee box. This is my first full build model, and the instructions tell me if it's my first build model to put it away and not try to build it until i have some building experience... FFS!

Hmm what to do.

Edited By Simon UK on 29/01/2010 16:26:26

Simon,
As I far as I can tell the PP motors are indeed just rebadged Turnigys.
I only recommended it if you were after one quickly as you said HK & GC
motors were out of stock.
Why not have a crack at your DVII. If it gets too tricky, shelve it for a bit &
build a Magnatilla or Atilla.

Edited By Richard Wood on 01/02/2010 09:16:02

I've recenty bought a Turnigy 42-50 650Kv motor from these guys but they also do a lower Kv motor.  I flew it for the first time the other day and was really pleased with the power.

Obviously they sell them for a little more than Hobby King prices but that's to be expected and given their amazing customer service record (check out their score on eBay) I think it is well worth paying that little bit more for some peace of mind.  I've bought from them several times now and plan to buy again tomorrow.