Katana - impressions and build blog

Simon B

I've never done one of these build blogs properly before, so bear with me.  Here's the box.  Removing tape delicately isn't my strong point:

Opening the box i'm confronted by a very large amount of CNC cut parts.  I'm a bit freaked out:

Large, but fairly flimsy looking cowl.  Might need some spares of these:

The instructions come on a CDR, so this is definitely a no frills affair!

Advert

I bought it from Leeds Model Shop, who seem to be the only sellers of these.  Dimensions wise it's 1250mm wingspan and the same again for fuselage length.  Kit weight is listed as 520 - 540g and the all up weight 1000 - 1250g. 

Looks like it's clearly aping the Sebart model.  It has occurred to me i could have bought one of these for about £25 more, but i think i've got the building bug a bit now!

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 27/01/2010 14:31:05:
That's a new name to me Simon, Can you tell us a bit more about the model? Size, weight etc..

Not wishing to hijack the thread, just filling in some blanks,

The Artex range is imported from Poland by Robert @ Flying-Dog,

Last year my builder put the Artex Extrim togeter for me and i also have the Sereno (more F3a syle) both planes were a very easy assembly the lazer cutting is supurb and simple clip together, even the sheeting is lazered to size 

See my build pics here -- Pics

BB

Posted by Simon B on 29/01/2010 21:21:22:
Not hijacking just repeating the info

"This company seems to be the importer: http://www.flying-dog.co.uk/

They've got quite a tasty looking F3A (what exactly is F3A?) kit, which looks like a grown up balsa Formosa."

Lol hadnt spoted that post lol,  and for your info the Sereno is awsome

BB

Well I started this morning.  Seems to slot together pretty well, although the odd part is a bit sloppy. and the odd one too tight.  Easily sortable though.  Here's the first stage:

At this point no glue yet.  Then the next stage:

Apparently the wing mounting bolts will go at the left side of this.  It was a bit of a fiddle getting the long horizontal piece in...

Motor mount looks pretty sturdy.  This is where the slop came in though, so i put some wood glue in, as it'd fill the gap and hopefully provide a stronger bond than the recommended thin CA.  Will try and be sparing though to keep the weight down.

Quite a speedy build.  Going to watch a film with the wife now, so here's where i'm at now:

On the whole pretty straight forward.  Lack of written instructions has made some of it a bit awkward, so i've had to use some guesswork and improvisation.  had a few balsa bits break, but bicarbonate of soda and CA will fix all