Why I Buy RCME

James40

As a full-blown sandal-wearing, beige-fleeced, vegetarian, electric flyer (aka Whittakers Nemesis), I have to defend his right to compose as he sees fit.

Part of the art of being a good columnist is to convey a definite personality to your audience, and this he certainly does.  And if it begins to irritate occasionally, then so be it.

So leave the poor savage alone; he's doing his best!

tim

Advert

Personally I do not mind the terms electr*c or helic*pter, it always reminds me of the B*rtie B*rnstormer back pages, starring Young Miss G*ssett,  which some people liked and admired  and others hated.

My own dislike, is the term 'tail feathers' applied to the fin, tailplane etc. during construction articles I know it doesn't matter, and it is a bit of fun,  it just turns me off.
But if that's how it is, let it be.

Posted by Richard Bond on 10/02/2010 13:25:44
My own dislike, is the term 'tail feathers' applied to the fin, tailplane etc. during construction articles I know it doesn't matter, and it is a bit of fun,  it just turns me off.

'Empennage' is the term that annoys me - just overtly pretentious.

I quite like the term 'tailset' myself.

Mind you, there's only so many ways you can term the parts of a model, I suppose.

At least I've not had to read that the 'stall is a non-event' recently!

tim

Peter Savage

474blah blah street                                                                       Blah town

Blah City

RCM&E Server

Istanbul

10th february 2010

Dear Ian,

This formal enough?

Yours Sincerely, Peter Savage

Edited By Peter 'Servo Scrounger' Savage on 10/02/2010 22:52:35

Edited By Peter 'Servo Scrounger' Savage on 10/02/2010 22:53:13

Posted by Richard Bond on 10/02/2010 13:25:44:
likPersonally I do not mind the terms electr*c or helic*pter, it always reminds me of the B*rtie B*rnstormer back pages, starring Young Miss G*ssett,  which some people ed and admired  and others hated.

Yes, you're quite right, Richard, where did those awful words 'tail feathers' come from. I've never known an aircraft have feathers. They're tail surfaces !!. Another couple of gripes- 'war-bird', and the word plane, it's an aeroplane,or an aircraft.If you're going to use the word plane, it should appear as 'plane, i.e. with an apostrophe.................Mal.

Posted by mal brewer on 10/02/2010 23:33:20:
Posted by Richard Bond on 10/02/2010 13:25:44:
likPersonally I do not mind the terms electr*c or helic*pter, it always reminds me of the B*rtie B*rnstormer back pages, starring Young Miss G*ssett,  which some people ed and admired  and others hated.

Yes, you're quite right, Richard, where did those awful words 'tail feathers' come from. I've never known an aircraft have feathers.

Its a metaphor (big word!), ya now wot burds av?

Did this ever have a topic? was it not just sucking up? :P

AW is a rather amusing naughty old chappy.

We are witnessing through his columns an understanding of how the hobby is changing through his eyes.

AW's writing can make me laugh and wince in the same paragraph.

The time will come when he gets to fly a 'Precision' ARTF sports electric on a 200C LiPo and 2.5kW motor.

RCME needs to keep AW, and ensure that he is not carted away by the PC PCs.  We should trust the editors to keep the bad boy the right side of the line.

Bertie Barnstormer really was wrong, but a quietly one of those guilty pleasures!
Andy

Edited By Andy Harris on 11/02/2010 07:56:13

Posted by Andy Harris on 11/02/2010 07:55:14:
AW is a rather amusing naughty old chappy.

We are witnessing through his columns an understanding of how the hobby is changing through his eyes.

AW's writing can make me laugh and wince in the same paragraph.

I do love the way he still champions those quaint little IC motors that evrybody used to use....

tim

GUys, I have always brought the Rmce, Radio Modeler, the forefather, ( i think), the electronics have taken a bit of a step back, over the years, with so much cheap gear available, it is understandable,
I recall the RCM ( usa) very expensive and every 2nd page was 2  pages of adverts,the English mags, gave us informative news and plans, not many free ones, then, twice a year i think, was and are still today really good value.....add  this site in and you have one of the best compliation of guys in the world putting RMCE, together EVERY month, keep it up
p.s I agree with Eric Bray, re the "subs only"........

A.A.Barry