Why I Buy RCME

James40

I had a quick flick through the alternative RC magazine in WH Smiths yesterday and found an article on the Hangar 9 Mustang PTS, now I own this model so I though it would be nice to see what they think of it as a trainer and if they think it is possible to learn to fly and then progress on by removing the training aids to have it as a sports semi scale aircraft.

Wow was I in for disappointment, the first thing they did was remove 50% of the training aids and then go on to tell the reader how well it flys as a sports plane. What use is that to the beginner who's looking to learn to fly and could save money by purchasing a plane that should take you from basics to intermediate all in one airframe.

I don't know what some of these testers are thinking when they write articles, yes they might be proficient at flying and not want to bimble around the circuit with a plane set to full training mode but wait a minute, that's what the plane is designed to do!

A good test would have taken you through all the stages of the Progressive Training System, noted the differences and reported on the caracteristics on each setting.  Instead they wasted half the article on the spec of a Spectrum DX6i and the Evolution training engine.

Ah well, that's why I subscribe to RCME

Advert

I went off one of the competing British magazines a few years ago. One of the reviewers was fitting out a 0.90 size Spitfire with a fibreglass fuselage. Instead of using the plywood servo mounts he 'fixed' the rudder and elevator servos to the curved fibreglass fuselage sides with silicone sealant. 

Tim,

RCME did a review of the old yellow PTS Mustang in the archives but Hangar 9 have since updated the design and made a few changes. The tester gave it a great review, in fact he said if there was an award for the best RTF kit then this model would win, just a shame his article writing isn't as good as the model.

I find the usual competition is from Traplet, but feel they lack editing quality.

I also hate the way most of the magazines add BIG BOLD sentences at odd places througout the text as if to whet the readers appetite. I notice RCME also starting this little fad. PLEASE STOP IT GRAHAM. It adds nothing and looks childish!!!  A rule of thumb for RCME ought to be, if Traplet does it, we dont!

Long live RCME!  ( but I had no idea it was fifty! Yikes, I feel old now!!)

David 

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 07/02/2010 19:38:10

I have to agree with David about the gap-filling quotes, plucked from the text, although I wouldn't necessarily put it that way.........  Far too trite and whimsical, obviously put there to reduce the amount of text required, I'd imagine..........

Some of the editing in the mags leaves a lot to be desire, that's for sure. Mind you, I noticed a full-page reader special offer in a certain mag this month, for a Typhoon plan, which had the headline words in big red letters (the largest text on the page)............. Hawker Hurricane!

Pete

Well I cant really speak for the editorial team - and neither can they right now, as its the Nuremburg show at the moment - however, I can say its highly unlikely to be done to "reduce the amount of text required " as in every single article or review I have done for the mag - final word count is reduced from what I send in.....space is usually tight not spare.

In my view one of the hallmarks of a good quality magazine is the effort that has gone into the proof reading. Generally speaking RCM&E does well here. Sure, there is the odd boo-boo - but overall the standard is very high.

Now I'll be honest, with a particular interest in scale models I do purchase a well known dedicated RC scale mag - you know the one . I enjoy the mag - but the massive number of typos in it is depressing. I'm not overly fussy about this, honest. But when the there is a average one a paragraph and a few of them are of of such a nature as to interfere with your ability to follow what is being said, it really is too much. Well done RCM&E for avoiding that.

BEB

Sorry Timbo, that was me being trite and whimsical.........

I'm sure most contributors are normally left asking themselves where all their much-considered writing has gone when they read the article!

Probably more to do with fashion...........

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 08/02/2010 00:17:41

I think if / when i write something that is going to be sent out around the UK and US, i would go through it with a fine toothed comb, looking for any spelling mistake there is I don't see why any one would not do a final spelling check, whether it is a reputable/popular(*Ahem* RCM&E ) mag or not.

Have to say i only buy rcme now, i can never figure out how to get the plans out of the mags that aren't stapled!

You can send my complimetary subscription now :P

Posted by David perry 1 on 07/02/2010 19:23:08:
I find the usual competition is from Traplet, but feel they lack editing quality.

I also hate the way most of the magazines add BIG BOLD sentences at odd places througout the text as if to whet the readers appetite. I notice RCME also starting this little fad. PLEASE STOP IT GRAHAM. It adds nothing and looks childish!!!  A rule of thumb for RCME ought to be, if Traplet does it, we dont!

Long live RCME!  ( but I had no idea it was fifty! Yikes, I feel old now!!)

David 

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 07/02/2010 19:38:10

Called a 'pithy' in the trade David.
It's primarily a design feature but there are drawbacks - can't use too many of 'em, the text must be relevant or interesting and the insert not too big.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 09/02/2010 07:29:14

Just the right amount of articles covering all spectrums of the hobby.
Only Gripe about RCME is Alex Whittiker not using the electric word, instead using symbols. Gets very boring and immature after all this time.
Love the humour and human touches in the articles, the other mags lack this.
the plans in RCME are superb as well, actually the corect size and understandable.
How about more reviews of the few kits available out there, or revisiting the standard club hacks, stuff we all fly everyday.

keep up the good work.
Darryl

I wish to register a vote for AW continuing with el*ctr*c. Personally I still find it funny (OK so my sense of humour is a little bit junior school!) Also its a token protest by us "petrol heads". I am afriad the lekkie guys are in danger of "sense of humour failure" and getting just a little bit t*uchy" maybe?

This affectation of Alex's ensures him a loyal readership of smelly, greasy, prop flickers like me - long may it reign!

BEB

Posted by Simon B on 09/02/2010 09:08:23:
I love RCME, but yes, i can only second how tedious and annoying the use of "el*ctr*c" is.  So you don't fly it?  Does it matter?

Posted by Timbo - Administrator on 09/02/2010 09:26:06
:
Yep, me too - I love AWs style, and he is a very accomplished writer, but come on Alex, its time to stop.
Especially ironic as he covered the indoor masters sessions recently at Leeds and was very impressed by the leccy models

C,mon, is it honestly that important? Every writer has their own idiosyncracies. Sometimes they appeal, sometimes they grate.

AW's use of "el*cr*c" is no more, nor less, irritating than, say, ongoing references to Timbo and sticky buns or any other of the many "in" jokes and references that are to be found on here.

It really doesn't matter. Does it..........?