Starting with Gliders

Advert

• 2 months later...
Dunno if this thread has died but I have a little input.
I got back into RC flying after a long long break and the models and technology has moved on so much .....
So. I just plunged in and bought the Easy Glider Pro c/w brushless motor. (I had flown thermal gliders years ago).
Just after I recieved the model I joined my local RC Club.
I am lucky to have "Timbo" as my mentor and he checked and maidened my Easy Glider and then said " there you go" and handed me the transmiter, I found the model a hand full under full power as I had to feed in so much down elevater, so thats a thing I would sugest a novice should be ready for, also the wings flex at what I thought was an alarming amount but it wasn't until yesterday when I sloped it at the Orme in 28 - 32 mph (with no balast) that I really saw the wings flex! (thought they were going to clap hands lol).
Anyway, the Easy gilder has given me flights of over an hour on one battery on a flat field that has a bank that generates a little lift, (just trickling in a bit of power to gain a bit of hieght now and then).
I also bought (an impulse buy) the Xeno flying wing. The model folds in half for transport and It got it's maiden at the Orme yesterday, winds at this stage were 32-36 mph. the model flew straight out the box as it were ... it was very stable but the conrtol throws as suggested are a tad on the small side and which made the model slow in manouvers ... but still great fun .... I pranged it on landing and caused one wing so seperate from the centre section folding box, Not a write off just some TLC, If it were a built up wing it would have been a total.
I was also given a Wildthing to "have a go with"  yesterday, the wind by now was measured at 42 MPH  ..... WOW  (even though I was on reduced rates).... I wish I had bought the Wild thing ..... as someone said "the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on" almost covers it........
To Sum up:
Easy Glider Pro, a smashing model that is robust and not to difficult to fly but I find that it will drop a wind quite fast if flown to slowly and clims like a home sick angel under power.
The Xeno: I very stable but the controls are bit slow.
The Wildthing 46: is a MUST HAVE in my opinion, from what I witnessed, its virtually indetructable! after some guys flying combat with them smashed into the deck they just scooped the guts back in, slapped on some tape and relaunched for another round! This was more punishment than a novice could give it!

Posted by Martyn Ball on 26/04/2010 12:59:02:
The Wildthing 46: is a MUST HAVE in my opinion, from what I witnessed, its virtually indetructable! after some guys flying combat with them smashed into the deck they just scooped the guts back in, slapped on some tape and relaunched for another round! This was more punishment than a novice could give it!

I wonder who those chaps could have been eh?
Glad you enjoyed the day Marty - seems we also made the right decision by returning for a second session in the afternoon /evening also - as reports from the club field suggest that no-one was there due to strong winds.
Now get gluing, and we will be out to play again on Thurs / Friday

This was my partner in crime for the heavy combat stuff yesterday - my old mate Jem ( who is entirely to blame for everything as it was he who got me into sloping a few years back )
I think his expression in this photo I took a year or so ago sums it all up nicely.
Photobucket has squeezed him a bit, so click for full effect

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 26/04/2010 14:39:39

• 3 weeks later...
I'd endorse the Gently Lady as a starter model.  For flat fiels I used to use a small diesel engine on a power pod mounted above the wing and over the CG. A PAW 80 with a tank giving a couple of minutes run time would give enough height for a leisurely fly around and seek thermal assistance. It was much more sedate than the electric Easy but that too is a good starting point although there isn't much building with it unlike the Gentle Lady.

Malcolm