Starting with Gliders

Having seen the start of this posting I thought, great, just what I need as a novice to this side of model flying.  I am away for a few days and when I catch up, the icing is on the cake.  The link by Andy to the novices section of the Eastern Soaring League is just what I need.  So much information and I can now begin to understand why I am having so little success.

Great keep it coming.

Advert

The first glider I purchased was an electric powered Easy Pigeon, which with two new central wing sections and some damage to the main fuselage will still fly, I hope.  I do not think this was a wise buy as the wings can be easily damaged.  I hope to take it on to a slope and have somebody with experience train me to fly.

I then bought a second hand Hawk 1500 electric powered glider which was in pristine condition only for me to sadly continue to crash it and repair but taking away its initial appearance.  With the added weight of repairs I think it will need a force 10 to lift it off the ground.

Third model was off ebay and I did not no what I was buying and it was a Laishing Thunderbird.  This was an all plastic or whatever electric powered model.  I have had an immense amount of fun with this model with the wings being rejoined a few times and it still flies, again needing a force 10.  Had a FlyCam fitted so got some great pictures of my numerous crashes.  This had a 400 brushed motor that burnt out and I have replaced with a brushless I had, but it is now underpowered.

I think my biggest  problem with the above models is I still think they are IC powered and I can throw them about the sky which is not the case.  Another problem I think is as I can fly IC you think you no it all but that is not the case.

My most recent purchase is an old Secret Weapon which is of traditional construction with foam wings covered in veneer and is I am told an aerobatic style glider.  I have tried to behave sensibly with this model and it has been up once with me with  the hands of an experienced flier to guide get me out of trouble.  Unfortunately the winds have disappeared at the moment and no other outings.

My last model is a scratch build total balsa glider from a 1996 plan, a Yellow Bird and I believe is for thermals.

I do not think any of the above is a guide as to what you should buy but is a picture of what I have done, right or wrong.  What I am slowly learning is that at this time of the year I think thermals are few and far between and this resulted in much of the damage to the first two models.  They are now heavy enough to go up on a slope and take a fair blow. 

I think most importantly is to no where you are going to fly and get a model to suit along with the most important part being guidance from an experienced flier.

I hope the experienced can respond

I would like to echo Hamish in suggesting you get a little experienced help for your first attempts.

Gliders fly in a completely different way to power models.

Generally they are less responsive, slower to react to control inputs and need to be flown much further ahead than any power machine.
Although they can land in the same sort of area as a power model, it takes heaps of experience or practice to achieve this reliably.

Good luck

I have no plans of flying a model beyond my experience. Ikm hoping this thread will arm me with the knowledge to be able to make an informed choice once combined with anything I can get from my local club. So far I have learnt that its fine to have a huge collection of planes only limited by the tolerance of your other half. Its also fine to have several plans or kits waiting. Along with don't fly what you can't afford (finacially or emotionally) to crash. All this means it will be fine to have a beginner model to fly another to build and lots more besides.

Posted by Andy Gates on 15/02/2010 22:32:04
Generally they are less responsive, slower to react to control inputs and need to be flown much further ahead than any power machine.

Mmm that depends on the glider, my Wildthing is much more responsive than some of my power planes and I've just ordered one of these
http://vimeo.com/1047743

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 22/02/2010 23:30:36

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 22/02/2010 23:32:54

You did indeed, snow stopped play on saturday so I didn't get to the local club.

But at the moment I am thinking the easy glider, and then one of the many other suggestions for when I head to the slope. I am hoping that the club will introduce me to people that slope fly or I will be back here trying to find people.

I have been very restrained for me and as yet have not parted with any cash, just keep on reading and digesting.

I tried to google the wildthing found some videos but no where to buy, any suggestions?

Posted by Matthew Lloyd on 23/02/2010 21:56:52:
Buy it. Build it. Chuck it.

Walk to fetch it.

Chuck it again.

Repeat until the penny drops

The Wildthing won't mind whilst you learn - it'll keep coming back for more.

Is that direct from the imstructions or your own guide lol