hobby king

Advert

Although I have bought a lot from them ober the years.... I simply dont think its worth it any longer - especially on some items.
Simon B for instance could have saved money, had quicker delivery, and less hassle with any returns if needed by buying an even better battery than that from Rob at Giant Cod.

Posted by Simon B on 15/02/2010 15:18:00:
I don't believe i said I would be pulling at 35c Timbo Just that the battery could do this at peak...

And I dont think I said that you would be......just that IF you were then youre overcooking it.
Dont be fooled by the hype surrounding very high C rates on batteries, especially as some brands are known to overstate the true figure, and besides unless you are using them in very power hungry setups like extreme edf etc, then its simply not required.
Anyway, drifting off topic

I do believe that contributors to this thread have hit the nail on the head.

GC are by far the best option, when they have the lipos in stock. They offer such good value compared with most other outlets.

But why do they not buy more or more frequently, as the Lipos they purchase, seem to be be out of stock within weeks if not days from  the point of posting as being in stock.

I also buy from Hobby King, for Lipos, as it can still make good sense. I think Timbos point arises from Paypal now taking a commission for £ to $ conversion (as this is how they seem to prefer payment), in addition to both the fall of the pound and its volatility.

Erfolg 

This is how I have found buying from asia to new zealand.
I have never bought from hobbyking but do use the asian distributors . The reason is ,quite often the products are cheaper ,( cost and quality ) but careful buying can obtain good results.
Sure our local suppliers (`NZ) are excellent and do have quality products but they can put a good margin on profit for items that come from the same suppier I buy from.
I find buying from overseas using trusted suppliers has been no problem .
I watch for what the NZD is worth compaired to the USD so I can buy when currency suits me best. (note most asian countries quote in USD)
 I have found buying from the states to be average by the time we put post on, and buying from the uk just plain expensive.
 I have never had a percentage charged on goods so that may apply to UK currency only.

When you get to the checkout at Hobbyking, you are given the option of having the value of goods declared up to 100%. If you ignore the question, they'll put a value on it anyway - about 30% IIRC.

If you keep the order total sensible, ie up to $100 -ish, and do not use the express delivery options, HMRC are unlikely to take much interest, IMHO and experience. Same applies in France - I've had the package inspected but no charge made.

I've always found mine declared as 'Toy Parts', so presumably HMRC have got bigger fish to catch..........

If you don't take the mickey, there shouldn't be a problem.

I would imagine the motor Adam is looking for is the  E-Power 3850Kv  which seems to be very similar in spec to the Align 430XL etc. I hope so, anyway, as I've got one for my HK450. Seems fine so far. At less than £11 from GC, it's a giveaway compared with so many other suppliers' offerings. As Erfolg says, it's just a bit frustrating that Rob can't keep up with demand...............

Pete

When buying from HK I always keep the purchasing value low. The first reason I have been lead to believe that low value personal purchases are exempt from Vat. The second is, if the parcel is identified for some punitive charge, I am prepared to wave good bye to it. Paying duty and charges is not worth the hassle.

I feel that i must endorse HK as a very good supplier, as are many other Far Eastern retailers. Many UK businesses can learn much from them. I guess the buzz words of "customer first" or "every purchase is valued, what ever the value" etc.  never pass their lips. They just do oi!

There are some good UK businesses though. Leed Model shop and GC are examples.

Erfolg

Right, this is the one in my spares box.

I'm sure this came out my original Trex SE V1. I know I only took it out to replace it with a more powerful motor, so I know its in good shape.

Its a 3200 KV, so you would need a 12 or 13t pinion.

Pm me your address and I'll stick it in the post. Better using it to help out a fellow heli flyer, it will not be used otherwise.

Cheers,

Simon

Ps. Will have a look for a pinion, but can't promise anything.

• 1 month later...